    thoughts on the matter.

    Cheers

    Squirrel the forever ignorant but willing to learn :)
    Squirrel, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Squirrel

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone into Torrents? I downloaded a downloader or whatever you call
    > it and somehow managed to download avi files of an entire tv series I
    > had not seen, however, windows media player needs a different codec,
    > are the free or purchasable etc? I am interested if anyone has any
    > thoughts on the matter.
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Squirrel the forever ignorant but willing to learn :)

    Try downloading DIVX codec and Xvid that should handle %95 of the video
    found on Torrent
    Craig Sutton, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:47:18 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > Anyone into Torrents? I downloaded a downloader or whatever you call
    > it and somehow managed to download avi files of an entire tv series I
    > had not seen, however, windows media player needs a different codec,
    > are the free or purchasable etc? I am interested if anyone has any
    > thoughts on the matter.
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Squirrel the forever ignorant but willing to learn :)

    Search for a file called "klmcodec133.exe", it will install virtually every
    codec you are likely to need, and a couple of players that are better than
    windows media player.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #330261 +(5927)- [X]

    <i8b4uUnderground> d-_-b
    <BonyNoMore> how u make that inverted b?
    <BonyNoMore> wait
    <BonyNoMore> never mind

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/06/2005 1:24:22 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:49:13 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone into Torrents? I downloaded a downloader or whatever you call
    >> it and somehow managed to download avi files of an entire tv series I
    >> had not seen, however, windows media player needs a different codec,
    >> are the free or purchasable etc? I am interested if anyone has any
    >> thoughts on the matter.
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Squirrel the forever ignorant but willing to learn :)
    >>

    >Try downloading DIVX codec and Xvid that should handle %95 of the video
    >found on Torrent

    Thanx heaps

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:26:32 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:47:18 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone into Torrents? I downloaded a downloader or whatever you call
    >> it and somehow managed to download avi files of an entire tv series I
    >> had not seen, however, windows media player needs a different codec,
    >> are the free or purchasable etc? I am interested if anyone has any
    >> thoughts on the matter.
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Squirrel the forever ignorant but willing to learn :)

    >Search for a file called "klmcodec133.exe", it will install virtually every
    >codec you are likely to need, and a couple of players that are better than
    >windows media player.

    Awesome, thanx guys

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    wrote:

    >klmcodec133.exe

    ight, got the above file, downloaded Bit Torrent, how does one
    assimilate them, or is this not what happens? Tried installing
    klmcodec.exe and then runing file thru windoze Media Player, still
    states it needs different codec. I will go back and ponder until
    someone is kind enuff to help me again.

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:26:32 +1200, Brendan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >klmcodec133.exe

    > ight, got the above file, downloaded Bit Torrent, how does one
    > assimilate them, or is this not what happens? Tried installing
    > klmcodec.exe and then runing file thru windoze Media Player, still
    > states it needs different codec. I will go back and ponder until
    > someone is kind enuff to help me again.
    >

    > Squirrel

    I know you will enjoy this one...
    to findout which codec a movie requires... Download a program called gspot
    (I swear that is the name of it!)
    no need to google it and get something else by mistake ;-)
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    Craig Sutton, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:11:58 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:26:32 +1200, Brendan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>klmcodec133.exe

    > Right, got the above file, downloaded Bit Torrent, how does one
    > assimilate them, or is this not what happens? Tried installing

    Associate.

    Instead, use klmcodec installer and chose some of the other options so it
    will install It's players which are generally better. I believe it installs
    'media player classic' by default anyway (check it's entry in the start
    menu). klmcodec will also associate video files to media player classic,
    and an equivalent function is also available from within the media player
    classic program (check the options menu).

    Windows media player will steal them all back though if you run it, and you
    have NOT turned those file associations off from within windows media
    player's options/preferences/etc menu.

    > klmcodec.exe and then runing file thru windoze Media Player, still
    > states it needs different codec. I will go back and ponder until
    > someone is kind enuff to help me again.

    Do not use windows media player unless you are playing a wmv, asf, or
    other, microsoft only types.

    The idea is to play your video's with media player classic (note: media
    player classic is designed to look like the windows one from win 98, so
    don't get confused).

    This can also be done by loading media player classic (the one that is in
    the k-lite codec pack menu in the start menu) and then using 'open files'
    from classic's menu. But really, you should use classics options to
    associate classic with the video files, so then you can just double click
    the video and it will load automatically into classic and play.

    Also, be aware that bit torrent will make a file of the correct name, but
    it will have the wrong data in it until the file is entirely downloaded.
    e.g. it will not play.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #329292 +(4352)- [X]

    <Batty> Euch, rap is just missing one letter. c.
    <zeep> rapc?
    <Batty> ...
    <Batty> Crap you idiot. you put the c on the other end
    <zeep> oic
    <Batty> Though you could also say it's missing an e
    <zeep> wtf is erap?
    * Batty bangs his head repeatedly against a wall

    Note: All my comments are copyright 29/06/2005 11:49:26 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jun 29, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:40:36 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:26:32 +1200, Brendan <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >klmcodec133.exe

    >> ight, got the above file, downloaded Bit Torrent, how does one
    >> assimilate them, or is this not what happens? Tried installing
    >> klmcodec.exe and then runing file thru windoze Media Player, still
    >> states it needs different codec. I will go back and ponder until
    >> someone is kind enuff to help me again.
    >>

    >> Squirrel
    >>

    >I know you will enjoy this one...
    >to findout which codec a movie requires... Download a program called gspot
    >(I swear that is the name of it!)
    >no need to google it and get something else by mistake ;-)
    >http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    You are right, google would have a ield day with that lol thanx

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Jun 29, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 00:06:06 +1200, Brendan <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:11:58 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:26:32 +1200, Brendan <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>klmcodec133.exe

    >> Right, got the above file, downloaded Bit Torrent, how does one
    >> assimilate them, or is this not what happens? Tried installing

    >Associate.
    >
    >Instead, use klmcodec installer and chose some of the other options so it
    >will install It's players which are generally better. I believe it installs
    >'media player classic' by default anyway (check it's entry in the start
    >menu). klmcodec will also associate video files to media player classic,
    >and an equivalent function is also available from within the media player
    >classic program (check the options menu).
    >
    >Windows media player will steal them all back though if you run it, and you
    >have NOT turned those file associations off from within windows media

    >player's options/preferences/etc menu.
    >
    >> klmcodec.exe and then runing file thru windoze Media Player, still
    >> states it needs different codec. I will go back and ponder until
    >> someone is kind enuff to help me again.

    >Do not use windows media player unless you are playing a wmv, asf, or
    >other, microsoft only types.
    >
    >The idea is to play your video's with media player classic (note: media
    >player classic is designed to look like the windows one from win 98, so
    >don't get confused).
    >
    >This can also be done by loading media player classic (the one that is in
    >the k-lite codec pack menu in the start menu) and then using 'open files'
    >from classic's menu. But really, you should use classics options to
    >associate classic with the video files, so then you can just double click
    >the video and it will load automatically into classic and play.
    >
    >Also, be aware that bit torrent will make a file of the correct name, but
    >it will have the wrong data in it until the file is entirely downloaded.
    >e.g. it will not play.

    Man talk about a learning curve, think I will print it out so I can go
    step by step, thanx brenton

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Jun 29, 2005
  11. Squirrel

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:23:41 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > Man talk about a learning curve, think I will print it out so I can go
    > step by step, thanx brenton
    >
    > Squirrel

    That's ok.

    BTW, g-spot will give you a lot of technical info which may need a learning
    curve. I think it comes as part of the klmcodec pack too, so no need to
    install it separately if that is the case.

    I can play pretty much ANY video/audio with klmcodec pack, so devote your
    time to learning it as that will get you where you want to be. Just use
    media player classic, or bsplayer (included too) to do so - the microsoft
    one is picky.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #6460 +(4735)- [X]

    <studdud> what the **** is wtf

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/06/2005 12:33:33 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jun 30, 2005
  12. Squirrel

    Paul Guest

    Or you can go to www.videolan.org and download videolan media player
    It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for
    additionnal codecs and it will save some time and stress
    Cheers -Paul

    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"
    Paul, Jun 30, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:47:18 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > Anyone into Torrents?

    Right up to the cap.

    > I downloaded a downloader or whatever you call
    > it and somehow managed to download avi files of an entire tv series I
    > had not seen, however, windows media player needs a different codec,
    > are the free or purchasable etc? I am interested if anyone has any
    > thoughts on the matter.

    Get the codecs. Small but powerful and necessary.

    Google yes?
    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:23:41 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > Also, be aware that bit torrent will make a file of the correct name, but
    >>it will have the wrong data in it until the file is entirely downloaded.
    >>e.g. it will not play.

    ie it will not be *complete* not wrong.

    Bit Torrent is about splitting one huge file up into 250kB pieces. It then
    goes about "sliding" all those pieces onto your HD.

    The data it/you has/have part way thru is correct but *not* complete.

    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  15. Squirrel

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:22:14 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:40:36 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Squirrel" <> wrote in message

    >>> ight, got the above file, downloaded Bit Torrent, how does one
    >>> assimilate them, or is this not what happens? Tried installing
    >>> klmcodec.exe and then runing file thru windoze Media Player, still
    >>> states it needs different codec. I will go back and ponder until
    >>> someone is kind enuff to help me again.
    >>>

    >>> Squirrel
    >>>

    >>I know you will enjoy this one...
    >>to findout which codec a movie requires... Download a program called gspot
    >>(I swear that is the name of it!)
    >>no need to google it and get something else by mistake ;-)
    >>http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    >>

    > You are right, google would have a ield day with that lol thanx

    At number one position

    ******

    GSpot Codec Information Appliance
    GSpot is a free utility which identifies the codec required to play an AVI file and supplies other information as well.
    www.headbands.com/gspot/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

    *****

    The womans version is in fourth place. Fades out again but the 7th
    position for codec stuff.

    See some people just have dirty minds. Google hits the spot eh ?
    Gordon, Jun 30, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:37:41 +1200, Paul <> wrote:

    >Or you can go to www.videolan.org and download videolan media player
    >It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for
    >additionnal codecs and it will save some time and stress
    >Cheers -Paul
    >
    >"Overclockers do it hotter and faster"

    This sounds more like me :)

    Thanx

    Squirrel
    Squirrel, Jun 30, 2005
  17. Squirrel

    Mark C Guest

    Squirrel <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:26:32 +1200, Brendan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>klmcodec133.exe

    > ight, got the above file, downloaded Bit Torrent, how does one
    > assimilate them, or is this not what happens? Tried installing
    > klmcodec.exe and then runing file thru windoze Media Player,
    > still states it needs different codec. I will go back and
    > ponder until someone is kind enuff to help me again.

    Sometimes simpler is better...

    I read that sometimes installing a heap of codecs can cause problems.

    I have had no problems so far just installing DivX codec from:
    http://www.divx.com/divx/play/download/

    When installing, I opt NOT to install the player (just install the
    codec and the XviD compatibility option).
    (Make sure to de-select google toolbar, if you don't want it.)

    There are two ways of getting video decoded: a VideoForWindows codec,
    or a DirectShow filter. Apparently filters are faster.
    The DivX codec above includes a filter, I don't know about the codecs
    in the klm codec pack.

    I also installed AC3 filter, to hear AC3 audio:
    http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/

    Use GSPot to find the Codecs needed (video/audio) to play a file.

    Mark
    Mark C, Jun 30, 2005
  18. Squirrel

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Or you can go to www.videolan.org and download videolan media player
    > It supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for
    > additionnal codecs and it will save some time and stress
    > Cheers -Paul

    I found videolan to be flaky as hell on Win 98 SE..So those on 98 Still
    ,don't bother.
    Craig Sutton, Jun 30, 2005
  19. Squirrel

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:44:08 +1200, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:22:14 +1200, Squirrel wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:40:36 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Squirrel" <> wrote in message

    >>>I know you will enjoy this one...
    >>>to findout which codec a movie requires... Download a program called gspot
    >>>(I swear that is the name of it!)
    >>>no need to google it and get something else by mistake ;-)
    >>>http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    >>>

    >> You are right, google would have a ield day with that lol thanx

    >At number one position
    >
    >******
    >
    >GSpot Codec Information Appliance
    >GSpot is a free utility which identifies the codec required to play an AVI file and supplies other information as well.
    >www.headbands.com/gspot/ - 11k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    >*****
    >
    >The womans version is in fourth place. Fades out again but the 7th
    >position for codec stuff.
    >
    >See some people just have dirty minds. Google hits the spot eh ?

    Are there some that don't? I haven't meet them yet! :)

    I'm buggered if I know how it works, or what it uses, but I just type what I
    want into the firefox address bar (the url part, not the google search part) and
    99% of the time it comes up with the site I want, even if the url is nowhere
    near what I typed. Truly impressive.

    Typing "G Spot" as the URL takes me to http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Anyone know how it works?
    Craig Shore, Jul 1, 2005
  20. Squirrel

    Shane Guest

    > Typing "G Spot" as the URL takes me to http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    >
    > Anyone know how it works?

    That feature rocks
    its google ;-)
    rip over to google.. type in 'g spot' and see which URL is the first back

    I like the feature for showing off to my workmates :)
    (They are easily impressed , they didnt even know what inforss was (or
    that you could use inforss as a gmail checker))

    Shane, Jul 1, 2005