    1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?

    Thanks

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Zipper

    David Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    > It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    > each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    > this normal for other people out there?
    >
    > I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck" when
    > the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts then also
    > which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >
    > So what I'm wondering is
    > 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    > 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >
    > Thanks

    If this is the case there must be something wrong with your torrent
    client, your RAM, your harddrive or some other part of your system,
    there's no way you should have to do a recheck. Try µTorrent, or Azureus.

    David, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    David wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    >> It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    >> each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    >> this normal for other people out there?
    >>
    >> I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck"
    >> when the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts
    >> then also which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >>
    >> So what I'm wondering is
    >> 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    >> 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > If this is the case there must be something wrong with your torrent
    > client, your RAM, your harddrive or some other part of your system,
    > there's no way you should have to do a recheck. Try µTorrent, or Azureus.

    Tried both of them, same with both. So it isn't the client.
    I dont think its the ram because surely memtest would have picked a
    problem up in 12 hours of thrashing the memory when on a torrent i get a
    hash failure every 10 minutes almost.

    I'll try a new network card that is probably the next logical thing to try.

    Wonder if it could be the CPU?

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    > It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    > each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    > this normal for other people out there?
    >
    > I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck" when
    > the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts then also
    > which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >
    > So what I'm wondering is
    > 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    > 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes forgot to add that i ran memtest for 12 hours and no problems were
    found. On torrets I get a hash failure every 10-15 minutes generally.

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Zipper

    David Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    > It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    > each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    > this normal for other people out there?
    >
    > I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck" when
    > the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts then also
    > which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >
    > So what I'm wondering is
    > 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    > 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >
    > Thanks

    What sort of connection are you using? ADSL? Interleaving off?
    If you host & seed a torrent from a machine on your network (Azureus can
    do this), do the errors occur?

    David, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    David wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    >> It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    >> each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    >> this normal for other people out there?
    >>
    >> I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck"
    >> when the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts
    >> then also which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >>
    >> So what I'm wondering is
    >> 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    >> 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > What sort of connection are you using? ADSL? Interleaving off?

    Yes interleaving is off on my ADSL connection plus I have a pretty
    horrid connection, my line quality is quite bad.

    > If you host & seed a torrent from a machine on your network (Azureus can
    > do this), do the errors occur?

    Haven't tried that. I will try that now and see what happens. Thanks
    for the suggestion.

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  7. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    David wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    >> It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    >> each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    >> this normal for other people out there?
    >>
    >> I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck"
    >> when the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts
    >> then also which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >>
    >> So what I'm wondering is
    >> 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    >> 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > What sort of connection are you using? ADSL? Interleaving off?
    > If you host & seed a torrent from a machine on your network (Azureus can
    > do this), do the errors occur?

    Ok well I hosted some massive files and did downloaded accross the LAN.
    No errors at all.

    I tried downloading on another PC from the internet and got errors so
    its probably not the computers

    I am using smoothwall so I'm thinking its down to

    1) terrible internet connection (which i have) but could this give
    errors or does tcp error correction rule this out?
    2) faulty network card on the internet interface in the smoothwall box
    3) faulty adsl modem
    4) faulty ethernet cable? going from adsl modem to smoothwall box.

    What do you think is most likely out of that lot? :)

    Zipper, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Zipper

    David Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> Zipper wrote:
    >>> I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    >>> It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    >>> each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    >>> this normal for other people out there?
    >>>
    >>> I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck"
    >>> when the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts
    >>> then also which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >>>
    >>> So what I'm wondering is
    >>> 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    >>> 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> What sort of connection are you using? ADSL? Interleaving off?
    >> If you host & seed a torrent from a machine on your network (Azureus
    >> can do this), do the errors occur?

    > Ok well I hosted some massive files and did downloaded accross the LAN.
    > No errors at all.
    >
    > I tried downloading on another PC from the internet and got errors so
    > its probably not the computers
    >
    > I am using smoothwall so I'm thinking its down to
    >
    > 1) terrible internet connection (which i have) but could this give
    > errors or does tcp error correction rule this out?
    > 2) faulty network card on the internet interface in the smoothwall box
    > 3) faulty adsl modem
    > 4) faulty ethernet cable? going from adsl modem to smoothwall box.
    >
    > What do you think is most likely out of that lot? :)

    The internet connection, since you say the line's bad and interleaving's
    off (not a good combination). Get your ISP to turn interleaving on, see
    if that helps.

    David, Nov 30, 2006
  9. Zipper

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Zipper" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    >> It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    >> each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is this
    >> normal for other people out there?
    >>
    >> I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck" when
    >> the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts then also
    >> which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >>
    >> So what I'm wondering is
    >> 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    >> 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Yes forgot to add that i ran memtest for 12 hours and no problems were
    > found. On torrets I get a hash failure every 10-15 minutes generally.

    Check your hard disk SMART mode? for a log of your hd health.

    Also you say every 10 to 15 minutes? is a virus scanner kicking in?

    Craig Sutton, Nov 30, 2006
  10. Zipper

    Blue Guest

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:41:40 +1300, Zipper wrote:

    > I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    > It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    > each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    > this normal for other people out there?
    >
    > I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck" when
    > the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts then also
    > which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >
    > So what I'm wondering is
    > 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    > 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?

    Right then, as I understand things the bittorrent is all about getting a
    whole heap of slices delivered to your PC in fine condition. It has in
    built checks and tests each slice and if it fails then, Could we have
    another copy please.

    What screams out to me in this thread that, all is well on the first check
    but things fail on the second check.

    Can the Zipper, get another PC on his torrent connection for a GB or two
    blast and see what happens.

    We have an intermittant fault here yes?

    Blue, Nov 30, 2006
  11. Zipper

    steve Guest

    Zipper wrote:

    > I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    > It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    > each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    > this normal for other people out there?

    No. I might have one error every several downloads.

    max / max DSL in the Manawatu

    steve, Nov 30, 2006
  12. Zipper

    steve Guest

    Zipper wrote:

    > David wrote:
    >> Zipper wrote:
    >>> I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    >>> It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    >>> each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    >>> this normal for other people out there?
    >>>
    >>> I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck"
    >>> when the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts
    >>> then also which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >>>
    >>> So what I'm wondering is
    >>> 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    >>> 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> If this is the case there must be something wrong with your torrent
    >> client, your RAM, your harddrive or some other part of your system,
    >> there's no way you should have to do a recheck. Try µTorrent, or Azureus.

    > Tried both of them, same with both. So it isn't the client.
    > I dont think its the ram because surely memtest would have picked a
    > problem up in 12 hours of thrashing the memory when on a torrent i get a
    > hash failure every 10 minutes almost.
    >
    > I'll try a new network card that is probably the next logical thing to
    > try.
    >
    > Wonder if it could be the CPU?

    More likely to be something on / in the network.

    The hash checking is to ensure the data downloaded is free of errors - and
    it isn't.

    That won't be your CPU.

    steve, Nov 30, 2006
  13. On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:41:40 +1300, Zipper wrote:

    > I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    > It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    > each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    > this normal for other people out there?

    In my experience hash failures can be caused either from:

    1/ dodgy router/switch/NIC

    2/ dodgy sender.

    > I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck" when
    > the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts then also
    > which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.

    You shouldn't have to do multiple checks, as the hash check should be
    accurate. Which BT client are you using?

    > So what I'm wondering is
    > 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    > 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?

    Solutions:

    1/ power-cycle router/switch/NIC

    2/ ban dodgy sender from sending anything to you.

    IMHO the second is the much more likely.

    I'm currently in the process of downloading (over dialup) the last 220megs
    of a 3.5gig ISO DVD image (Open SuSE10.1r2), and I've only had 11 hash
    failures.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    "The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
    would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 30, 2006
  14. In message <>, Zipper wrote:

    > Ok well I hosted some massive files and did downloaded accross the LAN.
    > No errors at all.
    >
    > I tried downloading on another PC from the internet and got errors so
    > its probably not the computers

    Could it be somebody trying to run interference to prevent you downloading
    that material?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 30, 2006
  15. Zipper

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Zipper <> wrote in news::

    > Yes forgot to add that i ran memtest for 12 hours and no problems were
    > found.

    means nothing, did you do a loop of the tests.

    I agree it is not relevant to your problem, but memtest should be run for
    one loop at least.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 30, 2006
  16. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > I downloaded an episode of grey's anatomy that I missed last season.
    > It was about 350 megs, I had 19 hash failures during the download and
    > each block was one meg. This is common for me to have this many, is
    > this normal for other people out there?
    >
    > I always have to double check the torrents also and do a "recheck" when
    > the torrent has finsihed as often it picks up corrupted parts then also
    > which it seemed to have missed doing the first check.
    >
    > So what I'm wondering is
    > 1) is this normal or do I have a problem somewhere?
    > 2) ideas on what to look for next? and how to check things?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks to everyone that replied.
    After many tests and trying different PC's and different adsl modems, I
    determined that it was the connection.

    I requested interleaving to be turned on and have since downloaded the
    same torrent with 0 hash failures.

    So I guess if you have a horrid connection interleaving is quite important.

    I called Telecom to get them to test my line as the exchange is only
    2.5km's from my house and yet my attenuation is at 62 which according to
    BT's guidelines should only be supplied with a 1 megabit adsl package.

    Telecom ran their tests and said can't find any faults not that I
    expected they would, they don't consider crappy ageing copper a fault.

    Hopefully when I move in the new year to my new house which is 500
    metres from a different exchange I will see much better quality, fingers
    crossed.

    Zipper, Dec 1, 2006