Torrent speeds on Actrix?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:43:05 -0800, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two day
    > I'm lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents), regardless of
    > seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my speed at a
    > speedtest page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are loading as fast as
    > normal.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)
    but if I were to have been downloading torrents over the last few days
    it's possible that their speeds may have been pretty much how they've
    always been. Anywhere between 10kB/s and 120kB/s.

    If I were downloading TV programmes via the eztv trackers I'd possibly be
    getting the usual 500MB-ish during the day, 1GB-ish over night.

    Actrix Go Large here in the sunny Hawke's Bay.

    Regards
    Lodi (not admitting to having done anything..... ever)

    Lodi, Jan 26, 2009

  2. Lodi

    Lodi, Jan 26, 2009

  3. Lodi

    Lodi, Jan 26, 2009
  4. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:29:48 +0000, Lodi wrote:

    Oooops.....anyone having problems with multiple posts via aioe? Or have I
    mis-configured Pan

    Sorry folks
    Lodi

    Lodi, Jan 26, 2009
  5. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 09:45:22 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    >> Lodi wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:43:05 -0800, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two
    >>> day I'm lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents),
    >>> regardless of seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my
    >>> speed at a speedtest page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)
    >> but if I were to have been downloading torrents over the last few days
    >> it's possible that their speeds may have been pretty much how they've
    >> always been. Anywhere between 10kB/s and 120kB/s.
    >>
    >> If I were downloading TV programmes via the eztv trackers I'd possibly
    >> be getting the usual 500MB-ish during the day, 1GB-ish over night.
    >>
    >> Actrix Go Large here in the sunny Hawke's Bay.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Lodi (not admitting to having done anything..... ever)
    >>

    > What are you talking about? Torrents are _not_ illegal. Torrents are
    > just a way of distributing files. Plenty of perfectly legal material is
    > distributed by torrents.

    It doesn't matter cos I didn't do anything....but theoretically if I did
    it would be a tv programme I would have been downloading courtesy of the
    eztv torrent file. And although I'm well aware that downloading the
    torrent file itself is legal it doesn't take much brainpower to figure
    out that my intention is to download the latest episode of House/NCIS/CSI/
    whatever.

    Do I feel remorse at watching TV programmes months or years before they
    arrive on TVNZ......nope.

    Do I really believe that some (to me) nebulous TV production company may
    not make a sale to TVNZ because I've already watched the programme via
    torrent......nope.

    It's a common argument but the law is lagging so far behind current
    technology and, more importantly, practice that I would have to be
    incredibly unfortunate for the owners of NCIS (Sony?) to track me down
    and successfully prosecute me. Out of the hundreds of thousands
    (millions?) of torrenters who grabbed last weeks shows.

    Agreed that what I (theoretically) did was illegal but so is crossing the
    road before the little red man turns green at the traffic lights and
    usually I just blow by that little man whenever I feel like it. I'm a law-
    breaker but do you seriously expect the law to come after me for that.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Jan 26, 2009
  6. Lodi

    Rob S Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > [1] Top Gear has an actual average running time in the UK of ~61 minutes. By
    > the time it gets here we get ~44 minutes, interspersed with moronic ads
    > aimed at the lowest common denominator.

    So with ads, total running time would be at least 70 minutes? It would
    make programming a pita.

    --
    Rob
    Geek by nature, Linux by choice!

    Rob S, Jan 26, 2009
  7. In message <gllaeg$m3m$>, Lodi wrote:

    > And although I'm well aware that downloading the torrent file itself is
    > legal ...

    That's not the issue. The issue is that BitTorrent is capable of substantial
    noninfringing uses, as those of us who make heavy use of Free software are
    well aware.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 26, 2009
  8. In message <gllfvu$3l6$>, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > A typical "1 hour" programme on a commercial channel is in fact 43
    > minutes ...

    Varies. I've seen anything from 41 minutes up to 46, sometimes more.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 26, 2009
  9. Lodi

    Cima Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:11:07 -0800, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Rob S wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>> [1] Top Gear has an actual average running time in the UK of ~61
    >>> minutes. By the time it gets here we get ~44 minutes, interspersed
    >>> with moronic ads aimed at the lowest common denominator.
    >>>

    >> So with ads, total running time would be at least 70 minutes? It
    >> would make programming a pita.

    >I think it runs on BBC1, no ads, at least last I knew.
    >
    >Oh, and it would be more than 70 minutes. A typical "1 hour" programme on a
    >commercial channel is in fact 43 minutes so that's 17 minutes of ads to the
    >hour. If we got to see *all* of Top Gear it would have to be put into a 90
    >minute timeslot.

    It's interesting to note how programs have gotten shorter over the years. I'm
    working my way through some retro 60s/70s US/UK TV shows and all run 50-52
    minutes. 8-10 mins of ads per hour I could live with, unlike what we're
    bombarded with these days!

    Cima, Jan 27, 2009
  10. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:50:10 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    > Well with the new laws coming into NZ who knows :) They may indeed come
    > after you or at least cut your internet conncetion off..

    Of late I've wondered what I would do if Actrix sent me a letter
    threatening to disconnect me if I don't stop torrenting, IRC'ing and
    using aMule (the three primary file downloading methods I would be using
    if I were downloading copywritten material without the copyright owners
    permission which I'm not doing anyway)

    I'm pretty sure I'd leave Actrix in a heartbeat and find some less high-
    minded ISP. Actrix may well be doing right by Sony/Warner/NewsCorp etc
    but they can't expect me to uphold their principles if it means I don't
    get to see the latest episode of Heroes. Especially when 89,582 other
    people have downloaded it and are already watching and commenting on it.

    Pretty simple really. On the net it's me me me and right now.

    Regards
    Lodi...who is able to distinguish between net-life and real life...usually

    Lodi, Jan 27, 2009
  11. In message <gllpqt$4kd$>, Lodi wrote:

    > Of late I've wondered what I would do if Actrix sent me a letter
    > threatening to disconnect me if I don't stop torrenting, IRC'ing and
    > using aMule ...
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I'd leave Actrix in a heartbeat and find some less high-
    > minded ISP.

    The ISPs are fully aware that's what everybody would do. They're resisting
    Big Content's attempts to turn them into policemen purely out of
    self-preservation.

    There's also the issue that, if they start actively monitoring and
    controlling the content passing through their network, they will probably
    become legally liable for that content.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2009
  12. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-27, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Odd that my torrenting on Cyberjet full speed is basically running at
    > dial-up speeds and has been for ~72 hours while everything else is fine and
    > fast. For a while I thought that maybe it was to do with that Telecom
    > outage.... Still hoping as, if I were to downloading TV episodes, which of
    > course I'm not, and the speed stayed as it is for torrents, I'd have to
    > consider a premium (read: expensive) subscription to a binaries newsgroup
    > service. Either that or go back to watching brain-dead NZ TV with programmes
    > cut,[1] shown out-of-sequence and with series stopped/started/mixed with
    > episodes from earlier series at random. Enough to drive a man (more) insane.
    >
    > It's a good job the above doesn't actually apply to me.
    >
    > [1] Top Gear has an actual average running time in the UK of ~61 minutes. By
    > the time it gets here we get ~44 minutes, interspersed with moronic ads
    > aimed at the lowest common denominator.

    Adding insult to injury, as has already been pointed out. How does one
    obtain a copy of the latest show and pay for it?

    This is what drives people to take the risk of doing things illegally. They
    can not get what they want legally.

    This problem existed for mp3 downloads for many years until the people won,
    and big business finally got the point.

    Trying to stop illegal downloads when one can not do so legally just sets up
    a culture of illegal being okay, and when it is possible to download
    legally, the culture remains strong.

    It just simply mind boggling that the movie scene is going to have the same
    battles of the mp3. It seems they have learnt nothing from history, so it
    will be repeated

    Gordon, Jan 27, 2009
  13. Lodi

    oneofus Guest

    Lodi wrote:

    >>> Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)
    >>> but if I were to have been downloading torrents over the last few days
    >>> it's possible that their speeds may have been pretty much how they've
    >>> always been. Anywhere between 10kB/s and 120kB/s.
    >>>
    >>> If I were downloading TV programmes via the eztv trackers I'd possibly
    >>> be getting the usual 500MB-ish during the day, 1GB-ish over night.
    >>>
    >>> Actrix Go Large here in the sunny Hawke's Bay.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Lodi (not admitting to having done anything..... ever)
    >>>

    >> What are you talking about? Torrents are _not_ illegal. Torrents are
    >> just a way of distributing files. Plenty of perfectly legal material is
    >> distributed by torrents.

    > It doesn't matter cos I didn't do anything....but theoretically if I did
    > it would be a tv programme I would have been downloading courtesy of the
    > eztv torrent file. And although I'm well aware that downloading the
    > torrent file itself is legal it doesn't take much brainpower to figure
    > out that my intention is to download the latest episode of House/NCIS/CSI/
    > whatever.
    >
    > Do I feel remorse at watching TV programmes months or years before they
    > arrive on TVNZ......nope.
    >
    > Do I really believe that some (to me) nebulous TV production company may
    > not make a sale to TVNZ because I've already watched the programme via
    > torrent......nope.
    >
    > It's a common argument but the law is lagging so far behind current
    > technology and, more importantly, practice that I would have to be
    > incredibly unfortunate for the owners of NCIS (Sony?) to track me down
    > and successfully prosecute me. Out of the hundreds of thousands
    > (millions?) of torrenters who grabbed last weeks shows.
    >
    > Agreed that what I (theoretically) did was illegal but so is crossing the
    > road before the little red man turns green at the traffic lights and
    > usually I just blow by that little man whenever I feel like it. I'm a law-
    > breaker but do you seriously expect the law to come after me for that.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lodi

    Most cease and desist letters sent to ISPs are concerning their
    subscribers bittorrent downloads of television programmes, because your
    IP number is available to every other peer downloading that torrent.
    If you wish to avoid that exposure you will find the same programmes
    available by subscribing to a commercial nntp service, without the
    penalty of upload traffic.

    oneofus, Jan 27, 2009
  14. In message <glm6sa$bmh$>, oneofus wrote:

    > ... your IP number is available to every other peer downloading that
    > torrent.

    Possibly
    <http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/06/study-paints-grim-picture-of-automated-dmca-notice-accuracy.ars>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 27, 2009
  15. Lodi

    oneofus Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <glm6sa$bmh$>, oneofus wrote:
    >
    >> ... your IP number is available to every other peer downloading that
    >> torrent.

    > Possibly
    > <http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/06/study-paints-grim-picture-of-automated-dmca-notice-accuracy.ars>.

    Its in their interest to send false positives to your ISP if they get
    paid a bounty, and most posters comments on this newsgroup claimed the
    ISPs wouldn't question it.
    Anyone who gets pinged for a torrent should probably shift to nntp.

    oneofus, Jan 27, 2009
  16. Lodi

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I re-set my modem today after a 5 minute pause and, for a few moments
    > torrent trafic seemed to be back to it's old speed. Then *bam*!, throttled
    > to dial-up speed. Packet 7 sniffing? (If that's the term....)

    Sounds like what slingshot have.

    Get faster downloads clicking disconnect then reconnect every few mins
    in the web interface then just leaving it going...

    Richard, Jan 27, 2009
  17. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two day I'm
    lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents), regardless of
    seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my speed at a speedtest
    page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are loading as fast as normal.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2009
  18. Lodi

    oneofus Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs oneofus wrote:

    >>> It doesn't matter cos I didn't do anything....but theoretically if I
    >>> did it would be a tv programme I would have been downloading
    >>> courtesy of the eztv torrent file. And although I'm well aware that
    >>> downloading the torrent file itself is legal it doesn't take much
    >>> brainpower to figure out that my intention is to download the latest
    >>> episode of House/NCIS/CSI/ whatever.
    >>>
    >>> Do I feel remorse at watching TV programmes months or years before
    >>> they arrive on TVNZ......nope.
    >>>
    >>> Do I really believe that some (to me) nebulous TV production company
    >>> may not make a sale to TVNZ because I've already watched the
    >>> programme via torrent......nope.
    >>>
    >>> It's a common argument but the law is lagging so far behind current
    >>> technology and, more importantly, practice that I would have to be
    >>> incredibly unfortunate for the owners of NCIS (Sony?) to track me
    >>> down and successfully prosecute me. Out of the hundreds of thousands
    >>> (millions?) of torrenters who grabbed last weeks shows.
    >>>
    >>> Agreed that what I (theoretically) did was illegal but so is
    >>> crossing the road before the little red man turns green at the
    >>> traffic lights and usually I just blow by that little man whenever I
    >>> feel like it. I'm a law- breaker but do you seriously expect the law
    >>> to come after me for that.

    >> Most cease and desist letters sent to ISPs are concerning their
    >> subscribers bittorrent downloads of television programmes, because
    >> your IP number is available to every other peer downloading that
    >> torrent. If you wish to avoid that exposure you will find the same
    >> programmes available by subscribing to a commercial nntp service,
    >> without the penalty of upload traffic.

    > I have been thinking about that. Any words of wisdom to share? Such as which
    > service would be good. I have no idea about such things. Are UK shows
    > available?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Everything thats available as torrents
    My son has 75% hearing loss, so he likes to download all his TV viewing
    and source subtitle files for them, he uses Giganews
    http://www.giganews.com/ (I pay)

    oneofus, Jan 27, 2009
  19. Lodi <> wrote:

    > >On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:43:05 -0800, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > > Has anyone noticed a major slow-down with torrents? For the last two day
    > > I'm lucky to get 10kB/sec on *any* torrent (or torrents), regardless of
    > > seeds:leecher ratio or tracker, whereas, when I test my speed at a
    > > speedtest page I'm getting 400kB/sec and webpages are loading as fast as
    > > normal.
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    > Not that I'm admitting to downloading torrents (because that's illegal)

    That's news to me. Did the RIAA and MPAA take over government while we
    weren't looking?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 27, 2009
  20. On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:53:35 +1300, oneofus <> wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs oneofus wrote:

    >>> Most cease and desist letters sent to ISPs are concerning their
    >>> subscribers bittorrent downloads of television programmes, because
    >>> your IP number is available to every other peer downloading that
    >>> torrent. If you wish to avoid that exposure you will find the same
    >>> programmes available by subscribing to a commercial nntp service,
    >>> without the penalty of upload traffic.

    >> I have been thinking about that. Any words of wisdom to share? Such as which
    >> service would be good. I have no idea about such things. Are UK shows
    >> available?
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    >Everything thats available as torrents
    >My son has 75% hearing loss, so he likes to download all his TV viewing
    >and source subtitle files for them, he uses Giganews
    >http://www.giganews.com/ (I pay)

    I would not say everything, as I have had to resort to a torrent to
    get the latest Judge John Deed when my mother missed setting her VCR
    correctly. Everything except the missing episode seemed to be
    available, just that one was not.

    Take a look at:

    alt.binaries.british.drama

    for a start. And visit:

    http://www.binsearch.info/

    and see what you can find. Giganews probably has the best retention,
    but Easynews now is catching up. And Easynews easily has the best
    search engine, much better than binsearch.info. Most binary news
    services do not have a web interface or search engine at all, like
    Giganews. But Easynews have been having problems for the last couple
    of months.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 27, 2009