    software, is that the "new way" to download? And is it safer than P2P
    programs?

    Thanks!

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 8, 2008

  2. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    ded Guest

    "Sens Fan Happy In OH" <> wrote in message
    >A friend of mine is determined to download music illegally despite the
    > fact I've told her it's illegal and there are a ton of viruses &
    > Torjans out there using things such as KaZaa and other P2P software
    > like Limewire. Then it was suggested to me by someone else that I set
    > her up with a program like bitTorrent and show her how to use this to
    > search for CDs and/or songs she wants.
    >
    > Never having used bitTorrent I don't know what to say. So since some
    > here have suggested using Torrents in the past to people looking for
    > software, is that the "new way" to download? And is it safer than P2P
    > programs?
    >
    > Thanks!

    BitTorrent is a file sharing protocol, it is P2P!
    There are simple rules to being online - have uptodate functioning
    anti-virus, a bi-directional firewall, and malware removal tools, that
    applies to everything you do online.
    With P2P, a "guarded" folder is created on each users HDD, no access
    allowed anywhere else, so users access files in such a folder only.
    So when your friend grabs a file from anothers folder online, she can
    only download it into the secure folder on her HDD, it cannot infect
    elsewhere on her PC. Then it is for her to scan downloaded files in
    the secure folder before she moves them out.
    And you posted via googlegroups, did it not occur to you to type
    into google search the term: "BitTorrent"
    There are plenty of results telling you everything you need to know.

    ded, Apr 8, 2008

  3. On 4/8/2008 2:30 PM, Lookout after much thought,came up with this jewel:
    > On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:07:19 -0700 (PDT), Sens Fan Happy In OH
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine is determined to download music illegally despite the
    >> fact I've told her it's illegal and there are a ton of viruses &
    >> Torjans out there using things such as KaZaa and other P2P software
    >> like Limewire. Then it was suggested to me by someone else that I set
    >> her up with a program like bitTorrent and show her how to use this to
    >> search for CDs and/or songs she wants.
    >>
    >> Never having used bitTorrent I don't know what to say. So since some
    >> here have suggested using Torrents in the past to people looking for
    >> software, is that the "new way" to download? And is it safer than P2P
    >> programs?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > Newsgroups. You can find whatever you want and you can't be traced for
    > downloading as you can with P2P. You also can't get a virus or trojan
    > from an MP3.

    Ignore that-all files downloaded must be scanned.
    You'll find that some mp3 files are not really sound files at all.

    max
    --
    Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
    Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html

    What's in a Name?, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Guest

    "ded" <> wrote:

    >With P2P, a "guarded" folder is created on each users HDD, no access
    >allowed anywhere else, so users access files in such a folder only.
    >So when your friend grabs a file from anothers folder online, she can
    >only download it into the secure folder on her HDD,

    This isn't how a torrent works.
    --

    And The Worst Bad Name Is . . .
    http://tinyurl.com/58m3yp

    , Apr 8, 2008
  5. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Guest

    wrote:

    >This isn't how a torrent works.

    sorry, missread the subject. message canceled but you know how that
    works.
    --

    And The Worst Bad Name Is . . .
    http://tinyurl.com/58m3yp

    , Apr 8, 2008
  6. On Apr 8, 2:25 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > "Sens Fan Happy In OH" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > >A friend of mine is determined to download music illegally despite the
    > > fact I've told her it's illegal and there are a ton of viruses &
    > > Torjans out there using things such as KaZaa and other P2P software
    > > like Limewire. Then it was suggested to me by someone else that I set
    > > her up with a program like bitTorrent and show her how to use this to
    > > search for CDs and/or songs she wants.

    > > Never having used bitTorrent I don't know what to say. So since some
    > > here have suggested using Torrents in the past to people looking for
    > > software, is that the "new way" to download? And is it safer than P2P
    > > programs?

    > > Thanks!

    > BitTorrent is a file sharing protocol, it is P2P!
    > There are simple rules to being online - have uptodate functioning
    > anti-virus, a bi-directional firewall, and malware removal tools, that
    > applies to everything you do online.
    > With P2P, a "guarded" folder is created on each users HDD, no access
    > allowed anywhere else, so users access files in such a folder only.
    > So when your friend grabs a file from anothers folder online, she can
    > only download it into the secure folder on her HDD, it cannot infect
    > elsewhere on her PC. Then it is for her to scan downloaded files in
    > the secure folder before she moves them out.
    > And you posted via googlegroups, did it not occur to you to type
    > into google search the term: "BitTorrent"
    > There are plenty of results telling you everything you need to know.

    Yes I did do a Google search - but I typically listen to the
    "opinions" here more than a bunch of unknowns from some message board.
    Pennywise, for example, is one voice that I trust in here and
    typically listen to the advice from people like Pennywise.

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 8, 2008
  7. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In OH <> wrote:

    >A friend of mine is determined to download music illegally despite the
    >fact I've told her it's illegal and there are a ton of viruses &
    >Torjans out there using things such as KaZaa and other P2P software
    >like Limewire. Then it was suggested to me by someone else that I set
    >her up with a program like bitTorrent and show her how to use this to
    >search for CDs and/or songs she wants.
    >
    >Never having used bitTorrent I don't know what to say. So since some
    >here have suggested using Torrents in the past to people looking for
    >software, is that the "new way" to download? And is it safer than P2P
    >programs?

    http://thepiratebay.org/help they get paid to suggest azureus,
    www.Utorrent.com is a much better program.

    Tracking and throttling are two problems with torrents. If your ISP
    catches you downloading a torrent your can bandwidth be reduced;
    Comcast is a problem ISP for this/

    As for tracking you can use Peer Guardian http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
    it helps a bit.

    A torrent file is all about sharing the bandwidth, If someone has a
    1gig file they can upload it allow others to pass it on, relieving the
    originator of everybody who wants the file to download it from him and
    the bandwith cost.
    --

    And The Worst Bad Name Is . . .
    http://tinyurl.com/58m3yp

    , Apr 8, 2008
  8. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:08:41 -0700, wrote:

    >sorry, missread the subject. message canceled but you know how that
    >works.

    Umm.. it doesn't? :)

    Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2008
  9. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    > On Apr 8, 2:25 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    >> "Sens Fan Happy In OH" <> wrote in
    >> messagenews:...
    >>
    >> >A friend of mine is determined to download music illegally despite the
    >> > fact I've told her it's illegal and there are a ton of viruses &
    >> > Torjans out there using things such as KaZaa and other P2P software
    >> > like Limewire. Then it was suggested to me by someone else that I set
    >> > her up with a program like bitTorrent and show her how to use this to
    >> > search for CDs and/or songs she wants.

    >> > Never having used bitTorrent I don't know what to say. So since some
    >> > here have suggested using Torrents in the past to people looking for
    >> > software, is that the "new way" to download? And is it safer than P2P
    >> > programs?

    >> > Thanks!

    >> BitTorrent is a file sharing protocol, it is P2P!
    >> There are simple rules to being online - have uptodate functioning
    >> anti-virus, a bi-directional firewall, and malware removal tools, that
    >> applies to everything you do online.
    >> With P2P, a "guarded" folder is created on each users HDD, no access
    >> allowed anywhere else, so users access files in such a folder only.
    >> So when your friend grabs a file from anothers folder online, she can
    >> only download it into the secure folder on her HDD, it cannot infect
    >> elsewhere on her PC. Then it is for her to scan downloaded files in
    >> the secure folder before she moves them out.
    >> And you posted via googlegroups, did it not occur to you to type
    >> into google search the term: "BitTorrent"
    >> There are plenty of results telling you everything you need to know.

    > Yes I did do a Google search - but I typically listen to the
    > "opinions" here more than a bunch of unknowns from some message board.
    > Pennywise, for example, is one voice that I trust in here and
    > typically listen to the advice from people like Pennywise.

    Indeed, but your issue was with security for a friend who wants to
    download pirated audio and the worry of infection - the same safety
    and caution with any file whatever the protocol applies across the board.
    A firewall scans the DL into a secure folder, and don't execute until
    scanned by uptodate anti-virus. That applies whatever the protocol.

    ded, Apr 8, 2008
  10. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    ded Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:39:28 -0400, What's in a Name?
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>On 4/8/2008 2:30 PM, Lookout after much thought,came up with this jewel:

    >>> Newsgroups. You can find whatever you want and you can't be traced for
    >>> downloading as you can with P2P. You also can't get a virus or trojan
    >>> from an MP3.

    >>Ignore that-all files downloaded must be scanned.
    >>You'll find that some mp3 files are not really sound files at all.
    >>
    >>max

    > Bullshit. If it says MP3 it's an MP3

    That is just not true, totally inaccurate. An MP3 is not an actual audio
    format, but a data file. Now try this, got an old executable stored in a
    folder? Right click on it and select rename, and just add .mp3
    Yep, thats right it will now seemingly have a valid extension of an
    MP3, but it ain't, it's still an executable.

    > or it won't play with the
    > associated program. You have no fucking idea what you're talking
    > about.

    No, you have no idea what you are talking about.

    ded, Apr 8, 2008
  11. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    George Guest

    <SNIP>

    > And ALL bit torrents and P2P are traceable to the uploader and
    > downloader. You CAN be caught using those programs. And prosecuted.

    This is true! I got a drmc notice yesterday. Less than an hour after
    trying to download an hbo movie. My isp sent me the notice and the threat
    of stopping my service. I removed limewire and azureus. I'm just hoping
    that they forego the prosecution. To the OP: Tell her to buy the music!

    George, Apr 9, 2008
  12. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In OH wrote:
    > A friend of mine is determined to download music illegally despite the
    > fact I've told her it's illegal and there are a ton of viruses &
    > Torjans out there using things such as KaZaa and other P2P software
    > like Limewire. Then it was suggested to me by someone else that I set
    > her up with a program like bitTorrent and show her how to use this to
    > search for CDs and/or songs she wants.
    >
    > Never having used bitTorrent I don't know what to say. So since some
    > here have suggested using Torrents in the past to people looking for
    > software, is that the "new way" to download? And is it safer than P2P
    > programs?
    >
    > Thanks!

    It's pretty much the only way to download files.

    Limewire was good, at one time, now it's all crappy files, blank MP3s
    and videos, and few peers to download from. It recently was a mode to
    bust kitty pornor sharers as it has been in the past. I also have
    deliberately downloaded suspect damaging files in the past and it sure
    showed that virus scanners do work.

    Don't even install it.

    Utorrent is probably easiest in windows and works well. Torrent sites
    have people comment on files so it's a win win method for getting
    files. You can use encryption in UTorrent, so that ISPs would not
    easily know what you are downloading and they will not limit the speed
    of the downloads.

    http://www.utorrent.com/download.php

    , Apr 9, 2008
  13. On Apr 8, 2:25 pm, "ded" <> wrote:

    > BitTorrent is a file sharing protocol, it is P2P!

    Well just for fun I decided to download bitTorrent 6 and try one test
    for myself, downloading a single song from the 80's band Loverboy and
    noticed one thing I'm hoping someone can touch on. I downloaded the
    song "Turn Me Loose" and noticed a LOT of missing/skipped parts during
    the song as well as hearing the volume "change" throughout the song.
    During the 5:37 the track is listed at I noticed 6 different points
    where the song "skipped" almost like the old phonograph records and
    through the last 2-minutes of the song I could tell very subtle
    changes in volume. The file says it was a 320k version - which is a
    better quality MP3.

    But is this a trait with all torrent files? Are there always missing
    "pieces" where it sounds as if a song "skips" or that the volume fades
    just a little here and there? If so I know my friend won't be happy
    and I'll just show her how to download from Usenet. I know I would
    never want to download a Torrent if this is the quality level you get
    - which is why I buy all my CDs anyhow. But you can't convince some
    people I guess.

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 9, 2008
  14. On Apr 8, 5:40 pm, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    > If torrents doesn't turn your friend on, take a look at eMule. There
    > seems to be a little less pressure now from the music industry about
    > piracy, they actually seem to be catching on that they need to face up
    > to the reality of people sharing music. Don't take that as an
    > endorsement to break the law, but one by one the major labels are
    > dropping the DRM crap and some even encourage file sharing to spread the
    > word about a new group or new album.

    Well after my experience with torrents I am not sure my friend will
    enjoy it! Just for fun I decided to download bitTorrent 6 and try one
    test
    for myself, downloading a single song from the 80's band Loverboy and
    noticed one thing I'm hoping someone can touch on. I downloaded the
    song "Turn Me Loose" and noticed a LOT of missing/skipped parts during
    the song as well as hearing the volume "change" throughout the song.
    During the 5:37 the track is listed at I noticed 6 different points
    where the song "skipped" almost like the old phonograph records and
    through the last 2-minutes of the song I could tell very subtle
    changes in volume. The file says it was a 320k version - which is a
    better quality MP3.

    So I may look into this eMule today and see what I think of it and
    then pass the advice along to my friend. I never recommend anything
    without first testing it and also checking many websites to see what
    is said about viruses, Trojans, spyware, etc.

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 9, 2008
  15. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    catchme Guest

    Sens Fan Happy In OH wrote:
    > On Apr 8, 2:25 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> BitTorrent is a file sharing protocol, it is P2P!

    > Well just for fun I decided to download bitTorrent 6 and try one test
    > for myself, downloading a single song from the 80's band Loverboy and
    > noticed one thing I'm hoping someone can touch on. I downloaded the
    > song "Turn Me Loose" and noticed a LOT of missing/skipped parts during
    > the song as well as hearing the volume "change" throughout the song.
    > During the 5:37 the track is listed at I noticed 6 different points
    > where the song "skipped" almost like the old phonograph records and
    > through the last 2-minutes of the song I could tell very subtle
    > changes in volume. The file says it was a 320k version - which is a
    > better quality MP3.
    >
    > But is this a trait with all torrent files? Are there always missing
    > "pieces" where it sounds as if a song "skips" or that the volume fades
    > just a little here and there? If so I know my friend won't be happy
    > and I'll just show her how to download from Usenet. I know I would
    > never want to download a Torrent if this is the quality level you get
    > - which is why I buy all my CDs anyhow. But you can't convince some
    > people I guess.

    most mp3 files run about 3-4m.
    if you have a mere 320k file, it is no wonder that it is so....lossy.
    next time you download, double check file type with file size, and also
    on the quality rating of the file.

    --
    To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
    Resist much, obey little,

    -Walt Whitman, 1860

    catchme, Apr 9, 2008
  16. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    thanatoid Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:07:07 GMT, catchme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sens Fan Happy In OH wrote:

    >>> Well just for fun I decided to download bitTorrent 6 and
    >>> try one test for myself, downloading a single song from
    >>> the 80's band Loverboy

    I realize this is a TOTALLY unnecessary and pointless statement,
    but if THAT's your idea of music, you got what you deserved.

    OTOH, record labels have been known to intentionally upload
    corrupt files both to the Usenet, various Kazaa and iTunes-like
    operations, and also create bad torrents. This is to convince
    you of what you apparently don't need convincing about (see your
    statement below). BTW, I hope you are aware that you can't get
    /quite/ a few things on CD and never will be able to, either.
    (But if you like Loverboy, that's probably not a big concern.
    Crap is ALWAYS widely available.)

    >>> and noticed one thing I'm hoping
    >>> someone can touch on. I downloaded the song "Turn Me
    >>> Loose" and noticed a LOT of missing/skipped parts during
    >>> the song as well as hearing the volume "change"
    >>> throughout the song. During the 5:37 the track is listed
    >>> at I noticed 6 different points where the song "skipped"
    >>> almost like the old phonograph records and through the
    >>> last 2-minutes of the song I could tell very subtle
    >>> changes in volume. The file says it was a 320k version -
    >>> which is a better quality MP3.

    Bit rate has nothing to do with corruption which can occur at a
    variety of points during the process, let alone when it is
    intentional (see above). I have a 10.5 year old computer so DL'g
    torrents takes RATHER a long time but 98% of everything I have
    DL'd has been just fine.

    Over the years, I have also downloaded more than one post from
    the Usenet which had similar problems to the ones you describe
    with your torrent file. I once DL'd a whole album and it was ALL
    silence. You never know. (Well, THAT experience taught me a
    little lesson.)

    Unless you know the Usenet poster and know the stuff is
    usually/always good, you should DL one track and see how it is.
    Of course, torrents are usually not "authored", but you can
    still DL one track to see what the deal is.

    >>> But is this a trait with all torrent files? Are there
    >>> always missing "pieces" where it sounds as if a song
    >>> "skips" or that the volume fades just a little here and
    >>> there?

    No, it can happen with material from any source except (one
    would HOPE) a store-bought official release CD.

    >>> If so I know my friend won't be happy and I'll
    >>> just show her how to download from Usenet. I know I would
    >>> never want to download a Torrent if this is the quality
    >>> level you get - which is why I buy all my CDs anyhow. But
    >>> you can't convince some people I guess.

    Of what? That record companies execs have trouble feeding their
    families while /all/ the bands drive Rolls-Royces?

    >>most mp3 files run about 3-4m.
    >>if you have a mere 320k file, it is no wonder that it is
    >>so....lossy. next time you download, double check file type
    >>with file size, and also on the quality rating of the
    >>file.

    Here's someone who REALLY understands the format. Do some
    reading and then apologize for your astonishing ignorance.

    Also, PLEASE explain what "quality rating" means. I would REALLY
    like to know, REALLY!

    > A 'mere 320' is fine for an MP3.

    I /hear/ 960 is MUCH better! And it will be included on the next
    DRM-free version of Windows!

    > Stop being a snob. And I
    > guarantee you couldn't tell my 320s from a lossless. It's
    > been tried many times by friends and they are right about
    > 1/2 the time which is what you'd expect.

    Depending on the age of your ears and the quality of the rip, a
    128 can sound just fine. I have heard 256 and above that sounded
    like crap. It's not JUST the bitrate that matters.

    --
    The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
    plays with time.

    Karel Capek

    thanatoid, Apr 10, 2008
  17. On Apr 10, 12:24 am, thanatoid <> wrote:

    > I realize this is a TOTALLY unnecessary and pointless statement,
    > but if THAT's your idea of music, you got what you deserved.

    Well if you'd taken the time to read the original post, you'd see that
    it was a "trial" to see how this Torrent system worked. I'm fully
    aware of Usenet and back in the days of Napster being free sharing of
    music I downloaded almost exclusively from Usenet groups, but what I
    was downloading was items I'd purchased already on vinyl and wanted
    MP3s for strictly playing on my computer while working, or just for a
    "mix CD" for driving in the car. And anything I did download, I either
    listened to it for a bit to see if it was something I'd like and then
    deleted it for good or went and purchased a legit copy from a store.

    The reason I picked that song was it was being played on the oldies
    station I was listening to and just knew it would probably be easy to
    locate rather than getting some "garbage" from the pop era of today.
    But I guess I didn't realize that 24hoursupport.helpdesk now also had
    its own music critic. Funny, I thought this was a help group for
    software and hardware issues with a PC - not American Bandstand where
    someone named Thanatoid would "Rate A Record."

    But I guess that's what happens when you give anyone a PC and keyboard
    - they think their opinion means something to the rest of the world. I
    bet you're also a hit on the Blogosphere ;)

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 10, 2008
  18. On Apr 10, 10:53 am, "" <Recoloring> wrote:

    > Request what you're looking for in alt.binaries.sounds.MP3.requests
    > attn: recoloring. I'll hook you up.

    Well originally this was a thread about a friend of mine using Lime
    wire and Gaza for downloads of music and trying to find an easy
    alternative for her to use instead of these virus-filled files and spy
    ware-loading programs. She's not computer savvy so I am trying to find
    her the easiest way to download either full CDs or individual songs. I
    told her about Usenet and she's not too keen on it, but I'm still
    trying to show her that patience is a virtue and that using Usenet and
    such places as alt.binaries.sounds.MP3.requests is still the best way
    to go rather than risking her PC, which is now filled full of spyware
    and trojans that it will take me days to probably flush out. But I
    will again pass this info along and "strongly encourage" her to post
    there and ask for you. Many thanks!

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 10, 2008
  19. On Apr 9, 6:28 pm, Lookout <> wrote:

    > P2P\torrent is notorious for bad files. Always has been way back to
    > the first EDonkey and Napster.- Hide quoted text -

    What few times I'd gotten on Napster back when it was a free P2P, I
    found some decent quality items on there. Of course it was like
    looking for that elusive bass in a river filled mostly with catfish
    *LOL* But I can see how this Torrent would be, given the fact you're
    never downloading a single "file" from one person but "bits" of a file
    from many people and having them combined on your end. All it takes is
    one bad file and thousands of downloaders posting it as "pure" and
    "clean" for months will degrade it and make it worse, it sounds like.

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 10, 2008
  20. On Apr 9, 5:07 pm, catchme <> wrote:

    > most mp3 files run about 3-4m.
    > if you have a mere 320k file, it is no wonder that it is so....lossy.
    > next time you download, double check file type with file size, and  also
    > on the quality rating of the file.

    A "mere" 320k? Wow - 5-6 years ago when I was downloading MP3s I would
    kill to find a 320k MP3 file! Most people posted in 128k or 192k and
    it was rare to get 256k or 320k.

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Apr 10, 2008