  1. balikitty

    balikitty Guest

    What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.
    balikitty, Feb 18, 2008

  2. balikitty

    Guest

    balikitty <> wrote:

    >What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    This one is in the news a lot lately http://thepiratebay.org/

    But it's a .torrent file that makes a torrent site special, it's a way
    of everybody sharing the bandwidth (and cost) of a transfer.
    http://tinyurl.com/2nf82b

    --

    Run Ubuntu on top of windows, without a virtual machine
    www.andlinux.org/

  3. balikitty

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:40:37 -0800 (PST), balikitty
    <> wrote:

    >What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    A site that shares files between users.
    The "torrent" file is supposed to make it "easier" to share.
    It also makes it difficult for law enforcement, or the RIAA, to track.
    It is also damn frickin slow. For a 1mb file, you might have to be
    online for 2 days to get the whole thing.

    "bittorrent" and "utorrent" are but two programs used for this
    purpose.
    richard, Feb 18, 2008
  4. balikitty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-02-18, balikitty <> wrote:
    > What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    You probably mean a place where people can publish the 'links' that get a
    BitTorrent peer-to-peer file-sharing session started. "Piracy" only comes
    into the picture if you 'upload' or 'download' something without the
    permission of the copyright owner.

    See <http://www.bittorrent.com/?csrc=header>
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/18/bittorrent_measurements_analysis/>
    <http://uk.ask.com/web?qsrc=167&o=312&l=dir&siteid=&imgs=&imgc=&imgt=&vidl=
    &vidt=&q=Bittorrent+Sites&search=search&dm=all> (or <http://shurl.net/7VY>
    for short!).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 18, 2008
  5. balikitty

    Rôgêr Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:40:37 -0800 (PST), balikitty
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    > A site that shares files between users.
    > The "torrent" file is supposed to make it "easier" to share.
    > It also makes it difficult for law enforcement, or the RIAA, to track.
    > It is also damn frickin slow. For a 1mb file, you might have to be
    > online for 2 days to get the whole thing.

    I suppose that's possible. On the other hand, I downloaded two old
    movies this morning, one was 591MB and the other was 716MB.
    Rôgêr, Feb 18, 2008
  6. balikitty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:21:41 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >It is also damn frickin slow. For a 1mb file, you might have to be
    >online for 2 days to get the whole thing.

    Sounds like you're using the wrong torrents or have a firewall
    misconfigured.
    Evan Platt, Feb 18, 2008
  7. balikitty

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:17:38 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:40:37 -0800 (PST), balikitty
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    >> A site that shares files between users.
    >> The "torrent" file is supposed to make it "easier" to share.
    >> It also makes it difficult for law enforcement, or the RIAA, to track.
    >> It is also damn frickin slow. For a 1mb file, you might have to be
    >> online for 2 days to get the whole thing.

    > I suppose that's possible. On the other hand, I downloaded two old
    > movies this morning, one was 591MB and the other was 716MB.

    Public trackers with just a couple seeders and a bunch of lechers are
    gunna be slow. The private invite only trackers are capable of providing
    torrents that are very fast. I d/l a 100 meg file in 30 minutes just the
    other day from a private torrent. I know that isn't really blazing fast
    but fast enough for me.
    Meat Plow, Feb 18, 2008
  8. balikitty

    G. Morgan Guest

    If you're connected @ 300bps.

    --

    I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
    Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org
    G. Morgan, Feb 18, 2008
  9. balikitty

    catchme Guest

    balikitty wrote:
    > What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    check out this url:

    http://www.toorgle.com
    catchme, Feb 18, 2008
  10. balikitty

    VanguardLH Guest

    "balikitty" wrote in message
    > What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    A Google Grouper pretending to have never heard of doing Google
    searches. Uh huh.
    VanguardLH, Feb 18, 2008
  11. balikitty

    balikitty Guest

    On Feb 18, 2:07 pm, wrote:
    >  balikitty <> wrote:
    > >What is aTorrentsite. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    > This one is in the news a lot latelyhttp://thepiratebay.org/
    >
    > But it's a .torrentfile that makes atorrentsite special, it's a way
    > of everybody sharing the bandwidth (and cost) of a transfer.http://tinyurl..com/2nf82b
    >
    > --
    >
    > Run Ubuntu on top of windows, without a virtual machinewww.andlinux.org/

    Someone said, law enforcement cant track these sites Is there alot in
    there that law enforcement would want to track? Is this a good place
    for a virus to be lurking? I can question anything.
    balikitty, Feb 18, 2008
  12. balikitty

    Guest

    balikitty <> wrote:

    >On Feb 18, 2:07 pm, wrote:
    >>  balikitty <> wrote:

    >> >What is aTorrentsite. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    >> This one is in the news a lot latelyhttp://thepiratebay.org/
    >>
    >> But it's a .torrentfile that makes atorrentsite special, it's a way
    >> of everybody sharing the bandwidth (and cost) of a transfer.http://tinyurl.com/2nf82b

    how did you manage to join the words?

    >Someone said, law enforcement cant track these sites Is there alit in
    >there that law enforcement would want to track? Is this a good place
    >for a virus to be lurking? I can question anything.

    Anybody can track a torrent :} - when I'm downloading a file, a list
    of all the other sites involved is shown

    www.utorrent.com is a good torrent client to use if you want to
    download a torrent and see help: http://thepiratebay.org/help

    To block tracking I use Peer guardian http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

    Torrents have a legitimate purpose, OS releases like Linux are
    released that way, The vista SP1 is over a gig, it should be released
    as a torrent; but M$ want's to control it, so they will pay for the
    bandwith.

    --

    Run Ubuntu on top of windows, without a virtual machine
    www.andlinux.org/
    , Feb 18, 2008
  13. balikitty

    Guest

    wrote:

    >is

    are :)

    --

    Run Ubuntu on top of windows, without a virtual machine
    www.andlinux.org/
    , Feb 18, 2008
  14. balikitty

    thanatoid Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in

    > "balikitty" wrote in message
    > roups.com...
    >> What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    > A Google Grouper pretending to have never heard of doing
    > Google searches. Uh huh.

    Doesn't it actually make perfect sense?

    --
    WARNING!!! "thanatoid" is not a real being and in particular
    is missing key components that result in his not being human at

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User
    www.grystmill.com

    Gary appears nightly on microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

    (Spelling errors corrected. Permission to use requested and
    ignored, interpreted as indifference.)
    thanatoid, Feb 19, 2008
  15. balikitty

    thanatoid Guest

    balikitty <> wrote in news:cda797f7-e557-
    :

    > What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    Going directly to a torrent site (some other respondents have
    provided links) will just confuse you.

    Read this first:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

    thanatoid, Feb 19, 2008
  16. balikitty

    thanatoid Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:40:37 -0800 (PST), balikitty
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>What is a Torrent site. And i hope i didnt mispell that.

    > A site that shares files between users.
    > The "torrent" file is supposed to make it "easier" to
    > share. It also makes it difficult for law enforcement, or
    > the RIAA, to track. It is also damn frickin slow. For a 1mb
    > file, you might have to be online for 2 days to get the
    > whole thing.

    A major exaggeration. It depends on the popularity of the file
    and the amount of people seeding. If the file was uploaded a
    year ago and only 25 people have it and they aren't running
    their clients, then you can wait a year and not get it. But if a
    file is of some interest to a reasonable amount of people (most
    of torrent users have broadband), it will take only slightly
    longer than DL'g from the Usenet, even with an analog modem
    which is what I still use. And it's free, while Usenet in most
    places no longer is.

    A good torrent search engine shows the torrent's "health" and
    the amount of seeders and leechers. You can tell right away if
    the "1mb" file (you DO know how much 1MB is?) will take you 15
    seconds or 5 hours.

    thanatoid, Feb 19, 2008