    I wrote I want to hide from my sys admin but I could have written that I want to hide from my ISP.

    Who cares?

    What imports is to know if it is possible or not to torify this application. And nothing else.
    Anonyma, Apr 13, 2006

  2. Anonyma

    nemo_outis Guest

    Anonyma <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have respect for Tor. In this case what is to blame is MSN
    > Messenger.
    >
    > I wrote I want to hide from my sys admin but I could have written that
    > I want to hide from my ISP.
    >
    > Who cares?
    >
    > What imports is to know if it is possible or not to torify this
    > application. And nothing else.

    I know you specified MSN - and for that I don't have a solution (not
    because there isn't a solution - there may well be! - but because I'm not
    familiar with MSN and have no desire to extend my knowledge of grossly
    deficient and unsatisfctory MS kludges :)

    Instead I recommend you consider Gaim. It directly supports Socks5 (and
    so can be torified). It also supports encryption (OTR and Gaim
    Encryption).

    It also has a few small fillips such as not responding to CTCP TIME
    requests (which can partially disclose your location unless your machine
    keeps UTC time).

    Regards,

    PS If you're determined to stick with MSN you might want to look into
    Torcap2, a general-purpose socks4a (no DNS leaking) socksifier specifically
    for Tor.

    readme:
    http://www.vv.carleton.ca/~cat/code/TorCap2-readme.txt
    executable & source:
    http://www.virtualventures.ca/~cat/

    I've never experimented with this for instant messaging so you're into
    terra incognita.
    nemo_outis, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Anonyma wrote:

    > I have respect for Tor. In this case what is to blame is MSN Messenger.
    >
    > I wrote I want to hide from my sys admin but I could have written that I
    > want to hide from my ISP.
    >
    > Who cares?
    >
    > What imports is to know if it is possible or not to torify this
    > application. And nothing else.

    Yes, it's possible and very easy. You configure it and it works for
    everyone else in the world but you apparently. Tools >> Options >>
    Connection >> Advanced Settings. Set SOCKS5 proxy for 127.0.0.1:9050 and
    HTTP Proxy for 127.0.0.1:8118 assuming Privoxy/Tor defaults. It can and
    does work flawlessly.

    Now, are you ready to quit being a little peckerhead so we can figure out
    what your problem is and how to correct it, or would you be wanting to
    have your ass kicked before you **** off without ever getting a clue about
    what's going on?

    Up to you kid. Makes no difference to any of us.
    George Orwell, Apr 13, 2006