Tor-MSN Messenger

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >>> The problem is that the client uses the tunnels for some traffic, but the
    >>> conversations are still sent in clear.

    >>How do you know this?

    I know this because I *SNIFF* - the only way to know for sure.

    >>If the client you're talking to is telling you that your IM
    >>"conversations" are coming in unencrypted then he's right. There's nothing
    >>at all Tor can ever do about it because Tor only encrypts to the end of
    >>the Tor network. From that point on everything is in the clear. Change
    >>clients all you want, fiddle with Tor for the rest of your days, it
    >>doesn't matter a bit.

    The client = software client = MSN Messenger!

    >>Tor isn't a privacy tool, it's an anonymity tool. The two sometimes
    >>overlap, but the problems can be very different. In your case you
    >>apparently need to hide some sort of content from prying eyes along the
    >>connection between IM clients. For that you need end to end strong
    >>encryption, and in theory no anonymity at all. Tor is simply the wrong
    >>tool. It can not give you what you want. Sorry.

    I want to hide from my sys admin and Tor *IS* what I need.

    Can anyone help me?

    Let's bring an answer to this question:
    Is it possible to torify MSN Messenger chat/conversations traffic? How?

    I couldn't find the answer using google...

    My investigations lead me to think it is not possible because this fucking piece of shit establishes direct TCP connections regardless of the SOCKS settings.

    But I would like to get different oppinions to validate.

    Thanks folks ;-)
    Anonymous, Apr 11, 2006