Top of the Rock

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cynicor, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
    observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
    photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
    checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
    the tripod.

    I went upstairs, and as dusk fell I used the tripod as a monopod anyway.
    The deck has three levels, the bottom two of which have safety glass
    with small openings between them. If you go up there, you can stake out
    which cracks are big enough to fit a lens through - some are, some aren't.

    This is the typical view at dusk:
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/119507865

    This is from the second observation level, looking towards the east and
    down at the first level:
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/2/119509682

    The best part is that unlike the Empire State Building, you actually get
    the Empire State Building in the view!
    Cynicor, Dec 29, 2006

  2. Cynicor

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:51:00 -0800, Cynicor wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
    > observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
    > photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
    > checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
    > the tripod.

    Heh. At the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, they will not let you take your tripod
    at all, and if you have too nice of a camera they will warn you not to take
    pictures for money -- they have a tight contract with the concessionaire up
    there.

    Nice work on the pictures. Beautiful pastel tones.
    C J Campbell, Dec 29, 2006

  3. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:51:00 -0800, Cynicor wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
    >> observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
    >> photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
    >> checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
    >> the tripod.

    > Heh. At the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, they will not let you take your tripod
    > at all, and if you have too nice of a camera they will warn you not to take
    > pictures for money -- they have a tight contract with the concessionaire up
    > there.

    The only thing I wanted to see in Las Vegas was the road back to the
    airport. But what would they do if you did take pictures and sold them?
    They don't own the view.

    Although I didn't figure out a good, accessible place to take a picture
    from Apex - Vegas does look kind of cool, sitting there from afar.

    > Nice work on the pictures. Beautiful pastel tones.

    Thanks - the only way to get nice tones with that is by using
    Windows-based editing programs.
    Cynicor, Dec 29, 2006
  4. Cynicor wrote:
    > C J Campbell wrote:
    >> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:51:00 -0800, Cynicor wrote
    >> (in article <>):
    >>
    >>> I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
    >>> observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
    >>> photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
    >>> checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
    >>> the tripod.

    >> Heh. At the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, they will not let you take your
    >> tripod at all, and if you have too nice of a camera they will warn you
    >> not to take pictures for money -- they have a tight contract with the
    >> concessionaire up there.

    > The only thing I wanted to see in Las Vegas was the road back to the
    > airport. But what would they do if you did take pictures and sold them?
    > They don't own the view.
    >
    > Although I didn't figure out a good, accessible place to take a picture
    > from Apex - Vegas does look kind of cool, sitting there from afar.
    >

    >> Nice work on the pictures. Beautiful pastel tones.

    > Thanks - the only way to get nice tones with that is by using
    > Windows-based editing programs.

    I'd say, that in spite of your being hobbled by such a program, your
    artistry overcame your software limitations....nice pix.

    --
    JOhn McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 29, 2006
  5. On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:51:00 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Cynicor
    <> wrote:

    >I think we were discussing this a couple of days ago. I went to the
    >observation deck at the top of Rockefeller Center today. I carried a
    >photo backpack with a tripod dangling from it. At the security
    >checkpoint on the ground floor, they told me I wasn't allowed to open
    >the tripod.

    >This is the typical view at dusk:
    >http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/119507865
    >
    >This is from the second observation level, looking towards the east and
    >down at the first level:
    >http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/2/119509682

    Thanks for sharing.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 29, 2006
  6. Cynicor

    Matt Ion Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > The best part is that unlike the Empire State Building, you actually get
    > the Empire State Building in the view!

    I've heard it said that the best thing about taking pictures from the CN Tower
    is that it's the only place in Toronto that DOESN'T have a view of the CN
    Tower... :)
    Matt Ion, Dec 29, 2006