top 5 database suppliers?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Bradshaw, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. out of this list which are the say top 5 (by popularity) or so database
    software suppliers?

    Apache Software Foundation
    Birdstep
    Bluestream Database Software Corp.
    Centor Software Corp.
    Cerisent
    Cincom
    data ex machina
    dbXML Group
    Ellipsis
    eXcelon Corp.
    FileMaker
    FourThought
    IBM
    Infonyte
    InterSystems Corp.
    Ipedo
    IXIA, Inc.
    K. Ari Krupnikov
    Ludic'i.t.
    M/Gateway Developments Ltd.
    Matisse Software
    Matthew Parry, Paul Sokolovsky
    McObject
    Media Fusion
    Microsoft
    NeoCore
    Objectivity
    Ontonet
    OpenLink Software
    Oracle
    ozone-db.org
    QuiLogic
    Raining Data
    Revelation Software
    Sleepycat Software
    Software AG
    Stanford University
    Sybase
    TeraText Solutions
    Versant Corp.
    Wired Minds
    Wolfgang Meier
    X-Hive Corporation
    XML Global
    Xyleme SA
    ZVON.org

    cheers,

    Rob

    Robert Bradshaw, Aug 10, 2003

  2. "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    > out of this list which are the say top 5 (by popularity) or so database
    > software suppliers?

    If you believe something like the Infoworld readers poll
    Oracle9i RAC
    MySQL 4
    SQL Server 2000
    IBM DB2
    PostgreSQL 7.2
    Sybase 12.5

    http://www.infoworld.com/infoworld/img/29FErcadb-ch.gif
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/07/25/29FErcamain_1.html?s=feature

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 10, 2003

  3. "back again" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > How much real difference is there between MySQL 4 and MS SQ Server 2000?
    >
    > Mark

    I don't think mysql has XML capabilities

    Robert Bradshaw, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Robert Bradshaw

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:47:10 +0000, back again wrote:

    > How much real difference is there between MySQL 4 and MS SQ Server 2000?

    1. MySQL is free software, that comes with full source code that you are
    free to look at, modify and share with anyone you choose

    2. All future updates - feature upgrades, security fixes etc - will always
    come free of charge and with no restrictions.

    3. There are a hell of a lot more people working on MySQL development than
    MS SQL Server

    4. If/when security holes are found in MySWL, they are fixed - FAST. There
    is no feeble attempt at 'security through obscurity'. There is no delay
    of weeks/months/years while the developers' managers contemplate the
    possible PR/marketing impacts of disclosing the weaknesses.

    5. With MySQL, there are no license fees, and you can run on most current
    operating systems - BSD, Linux, even Windows. With MS SQL Server, you
    have no choice but to run it on a Windows machine (or, at the least,
    within a virtual windows box (vmware etc).

    6. With MySQL, your dollars are not making a one-way trip out of the New
    Zealand economy into the coffers of mostly US-based shareholders, so
    you are doing a good thing for the country.

    7. If there's anything you really need that MySQL can't do, there's always
    PostgreSQL - or you can use *some* of the bucks you save to procure a
    workaround.

    Evil Bastard, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Bold Guest

    If popularity means total sales, then for all platforms in 2002:

    Oracle (34%)
    IBM (36%)
    Microsoft (18%)
    NCR (2.7%)

    For Windows and Unix/Linux in 2002:

    Oracle (42%)
    IBM (25-30% )
    Microsoft (23%)

    Reference: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,2135090,00.htm

    Patrick Bold, Aug 11, 2003
  6. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Bold, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Bold, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Bold, Aug 11, 2003
  9. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Bold, Aug 11, 2003
  10. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Bold, Aug 11, 2003
  11. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Bold, Aug 11, 2003
  12. Robert Bradshaw

    back again Guest

    "Patrick Bold" <> wrote in news:3f35d31a$1_2
    @newsfeed:

    > Subject: Re: top 5 database suppliers?
    > From: "Patrick Bold" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > If popularity means total sales, then for all platforms in 2002:
    >
    > Oracle (34%)
    > IBM (36%)
    > Microsoft (18%)
    > NCR (2.7%)
    >
    > For Windows and Unix/Linux in 2002:
    >
    > Oracle (42%)
    > IBM (25-30% )
    > Microsoft (23%)
    >
    > Reference: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,2135090,00.htm

    What about free database software. I expect they hold a large chunk of the
    desktop space (SQL, Postgres/whatever), but since they are free, they won't
    appear in your figures, meaning using your figures as a guide is going to
    give innacurate results.

    back again, Aug 11, 2003
  13. Robert Bradshaw

    back again Guest

    "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in news:EGBZa.112282
    $:

    > Subject: Re: top 5 database suppliers?
    > From: "Robert Bradshaw" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >

    > "back again" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> How much real difference is there between MySQL 4 and MS SQ Server 2000?
    >>
    >> Mark

    > I don't think mysql has XML capabilities

    As in, can be tied to web pages etc?

    back again, Aug 11, 2003
  14. "back again" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in news:EGBZa.112282
    > $:
    >
    > > Subject: Re: top 5 database suppliers?
    > > From: "Robert Bradshaw" <>
    > > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    > >

    > > "back again" <> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > >>
    > >> How much real difference is there between MySQL 4 and MS SQ Server

    2000?

    > >> Mark

    > > I don't think mysql has XML capabilities

    > As in, can be tied to web pages etc?

    and importing and exporting xml table data i think

    Robert Bradshaw, Aug 11, 2003
  15. Robert Bradshaw

    T.N.O Guest

    "Robert Bradshaw" wrote
    | out of this list which are the say top 5 (by popularity) or so database
    | software suppliers?

    Im probably going to be slagged off for this, but I would think that MS with
    Access(and SQL) probably have the most by number... Im not saying that they
    are the best, but probably the "most popular" by number.

    T.N.O, Aug 11, 2003
  16. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:01:50 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:47:10 +0000, back again wrote:
    >
    >> How much real difference is there between MySQL 4 and MS SQ Server 2000?

    > 1. MySQL is free software, that comes with full source code that you are
    > free to look at, modify and share with anyone you choose

    MySQL isn't fully relational and it doesn't have a lot of things that
    database developers take for granted (like subselects) which results in
    extra coding being required to work around it.

    That's not to say MySQL isn't a fantastic piece of work. It's a
    lightweight, read-optimised simple database optimised for web serving and
    other intensive read often, write seldom operations.

    If you're going to compare like with like, compare MS SQ server 2000 with
    PostgreSQL. All the other points are the same as for MySQL and Postgres runs
    rings around MS SQL, giving at least twice the bang per buck on any given
    hardware (Referring to hardware cost, not license fees)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 11, 2003
  17. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 06:51:34 +0000, back again wrote:

    >> Reference: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,2135090,00.htm

    > What about free database software. I expect they hold a large chunk of
    > the desktop space (SQL, Postgres/whatever), but since they are free,
    > they won't appear in your figures, meaning using your figures as a guide
    > is going to give innacurate results.

    This is the same problem that Linux/BSD has/had in these stakes.

    While Netcraft was clearly showing Linux was accounting for at least 40%
    of all webservers out there, MS was trumpeting claims stating that IIS was
    60%, based on units sold.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 11, 2003
  18. Robert Bradshaw

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 12:07:55 +1200, Howard wrote:

    > Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    >
    >> MySQL isn't fully relational and it doesn't have a lot of things that
    >> database developers take for granted (like subselects) which results
    >> in extra coding being required to work around it.

    > MySQL has had subselects since 4.1. And why do you cliam it's not fully
    > relational? Maybe in the early days, but not now...

    If you use a strict-enough academic definition, then *no* database engine
    in the world is 'fully relational'.

    Evil Bastard, Aug 12, 2003