    asdf Guest

    ??????

    Which ones and WHY?

    asdf, Sep 30, 2003

  2. asdf

    T.N.O. Guest

    "asdf" wrote
    > Which ones and WHY?

    Does this mean that you want us to vote on them or something...

    Personally I use the Warehouse Transonic ones for normal unimportant use,
    but I use expensive Medical quality ones(ordered through my work) for
    important data that I dont want to lose.

    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003

  3. asdf

    MarkH Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in news:blavea$a3qfb$1@ID-
    183327.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > "asdf" wrote
    >> Which ones and WHY?

    > Does this mean that you want us to vote on them or something...
    >
    > Personally I use the Warehouse Transonic ones for normal unimportant use,
    > but I use expensive Medical quality ones(ordered through my work) for
    > important data that I dont want to lose.

    WTF?

    Medical quality?

    Does that mean safe for inserting in body cavities or something?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Sep 30, 2003
  4. asdf

    asdf Guest

    I would like to know which you think are the best brand, for keeping data
    over a long time, arriving stuff.

    Also links to reviews they have stress tested these disks.

    Daniel

    asdf, Sep 30, 2003
  5. asdf

    asdf Guest

    PS. Explain these "medical grade disks"

    DAniel

    asdf, Sep 30, 2003
  6. asdf

    T.N.O. Guest

    "MarkH" wrote
    > > Personally I use the Warehouse Transonic ones for normal unimportant

    use,
    > > but I use expensive Medical quality ones(ordered through my work) for
    > > important data that I dont want to lose.

    > WTF?
    > Medical quality?
    > Does that mean safe for inserting in body cavities or something?

    Nah, it means that we have an agreement saying that they will work in 20
    years or so(I think it says 25), just the same as they do today...
    They cost about $7.50 each I think... but I pay more than the hospital does.

    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003
  7. asdf

    MarkH Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote in news:Ja7eb.163226$JA5.4024296
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > ??????
    >
    > Which ones and WHY?

    I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I have
    never had one fail.

    Also I get them at a good price when buying spindles of 50.

    No way would I pay over $1 per disk for any brand when I can get good disks
    for well under that. (About $30 incl for a spindle of 50)

    MarkH, Sep 30, 2003
  8. asdf

    T.N.O. Guest

    "asdf" wrote
    > PS. Explain these "medical grade disks"

    See my other reply... ~20 years guarantee on them... thats about all.

    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003
  9. In article <Ja7eb.163226$>,
    says...
    > ??????
    >
    > Which ones and WHY?

    Imation..only ever had a single bad one, probably not the cheapest but
    reliable.

    Kerry Ferrand, Sep 30, 2003
  10. asdf

    MarkH Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > "MarkH" wrote
    >> > Personally I use the Warehouse Transonic ones for normal
    >> > unimportant

    > use,
    >> > but I use expensive Medical quality ones(ordered through my work)
    >> > for important data that I dont want to lose.

    >> WTF?
    >> Medical quality?
    >> Does that mean safe for inserting in body cavities or something?

    > Nah, it means that we have an agreement saying that they will work in
    > 20 years or so(I think it says 25), just the same as they do today...
    > They cost about $7.50 each I think... but I pay more than the hospital
    > does.

    Holy shit, $7.50 each! I’ll stick to my Ricoh disks at 60c each. (Or my
    DVD-R disks at $2.80 each)

    BTW
    If the disks don’t work in 25 years and you lose the data, what then?

    MarkH, Sep 30, 2003
  11. asdf

    T.N.O. Guest

    "MarkH" wrote
    > Holy shit, $7.50 each! I'll stick to my Ricoh disks at 60c each. (Or my
    > DVD-R disks at $2.80 each)

    Yeah well I dont buy many of them, I have 5 or so, and will be getting
    another 5 or so soonish.

    > BTW
    > If the disks don't work in 25 years and you lose the data, what then?

    Don't know, I just thought of that when I replied :)
    I'm not bound by the agreement between work and errr, the company, so I
    would guess that my CD's arent included in whatever agreement they have...
    either way, they are nice CD's :)

    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003
  12. asdf

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:26:54 +1200, "asdf" <> wrote:

    >I would like to know which you think are the best brand, for keeping data
    >over a long time, arriving stuff.
    >
    >Also links to reviews they have stress tested these disks.
    >
    >Daniel

    The Verbatim/Mitsubishi AZO Super AZO ones claimed a 100 year life span..

    Or the Gold Mitsumi ones..

    No other brands can you trusted as they could be made by any one..

    Big , Sep 30, 2003
  13. asdf

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <> wrote:

    >"asdf" <> wrote in news:Ja7eb.163226$JA5.4024296
    >@news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> ??????
    >>
    >> Which ones and WHY?

    >I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I have
    >never had one fail.

    And who makes them, ? and no shops here out of say 20 sell them..

    Big , Sep 30, 2003
  14. asdf

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:34:00 +1200, Kerry Ferrand
    <> wrote:

    >In article <Ja7eb.163226$>,
    >says...
    >> ??????
    >>
    >> Which ones and WHY?
    >>

    >Imation..only ever had a single bad one, probably not the cheapest but
    >reliable.

    Yes made by CMC utter Crap..

    Big , Sep 30, 2003
  15. asdf

    MarkH Guest

    Big wrote in

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    > wrote:
    >>I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I
    >>have never had one fail.

    > And who makes them, ? and no shops here out of say 20 sell them..

    The manufacturer is:- Ricoh Company Ltd.

    Why would I care what the shops where you are sell? I don’t work for Ricoh
    and have no reason to care how many or how few they sell.

    MarkH, Sep 30, 2003
  16. In article <Ja7eb.163226$>,
    says...
    > ??????
    >
    > Which ones and WHY?

    I have not looked into this for some time, so take this info with a grain
    of salt.

    When I looked at this very question, I gleaned the info that the gold
    colored CDs were supposedly the best in terms of durability, and the
    green ones the worst.

    Since then we had blue ones turn up, green ones with a golden sheen to
    them and black ones - and I have no idea how those dyes stand up or
    compare, but on the other hand I have not seen anything, anywhere that
    said that the gold disks had been overtaken by a new process.

    So they are the ones I use when it's important, for instance source code
    to some projects, backups of my financial data.

    If I copy music on to CDs for the car audio ( I had irreplacable tapes
    and CDs burgled from the car and only use copies now) I just take the
    cheapest brand that comes to hand. They all seem to work :)

    Other than that I go on brand names. Renowned makers of media are Kodak,
    Verbatim, TDK, Mitsubishi Chemical, Maxell - I simply assume that these
    companies won't want to be seen to be turning out utter crap.

    If you want (in depth) info, I suggest that you look at the web sites of
    some of the manufacturers of burners. I believe Plextor have a web site
    where they rate various media for instance.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Sep 30, 2003
  17. asdf

    BTMO Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote

    > ??????
    >
    > Which ones and WHY?

    For my home based business (short run CD production for muso's and
    corporates), I use Verbatim exclusively. I experimented with other brands,
    and decided to go the max on quality.

    Why? Customers want a quality product.

    The difference between crap and the best is measured in cents rather than
    dollars. I can't comment on "medical quality" discs - I've never heard of
    them. I do know that the Verbatims are archival quality, and have
    accelerated test lifespans of 100 years. (and don't ask me how they
    guarantee this! For all I know, they hope we will all be dead by then...)

    But, I can guarantee the quality of the product for my customers, and if it
    the discs *do* fail, I can get a refund (and an explanation) from the
    manufacturer at *very*short notice.

    I believe the discs are individually serialised, or at the very least, batch
    serialised (brenton checks consecutive discs from the same pack) - nope,
    they are individually numbered.

    Basically, it comes down to quality for me.

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, Sep 30, 2003
  18. asdf

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:51:12 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <> wrote:

    >Big wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:31:37 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>I use Ricoh, because they are a good quality brand name disk, and I
    >>>have never had one fail.

    >> And who makes them, ? and no shops here out of say 20 sell them..

    >The manufacturer is:- Ricoh Company Ltd.

    Is that what the ATIP Shows..?

    Big , Sep 30, 2003
  19. asdf

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:02:46 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <Ja7eb.163226$>,
    >says...
    >> ??????
    >>
    >> Which ones and WHY?
    >>

    >I have not looked into this for some time, so take this info with a grain
    >of salt.
    >
    >When I looked at this very question, I gleaned the info that the gold
    >colored CDs were supposedly the best in terms of durability, and the
    >green ones the worst.
    >
    >Since then we had blue ones turn up, green ones with a golden sheen to
    >them and black ones - and I have no idea how those dyes stand up or
    >compare, but on the other hand I have not seen anything, anywhere that
    >said that the gold disks had been overtaken by a new process.
    >
    >So they are the ones I use when it's important, for instance source code
    >to some projects, backups of my financial data.
    >
    >If I copy music on to CDs for the car audio ( I had irreplacable tapes
    >and CDs burgled from the car and only use copies now) I just take the
    >cheapest brand that comes to hand. They all seem to work :)
    >
    >Other than that I go on brand names. Renowned makers of media are Kodak,
    >Verbatim, TDK, Mitsubishi Chemical, Maxell - I simply assume that these
    >companies won't want to be seen to be turning out utter crap.

    Kodak is no more, TDK is a CMC , Maxell also from what I have read..

    >If you want (in depth) info, I suggest that you look at the web sites of
    >some of the manufacturers of burners. I believe Plextor have a web site
    >where they rate various media for instance.

    Does not mean a Thing as I have had Sony CD's made by 4 different firms..

    Big , Sep 30, 2003
  20. asdf

    Big Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:34:53 +1200, "BTMO" <> wrote:

    >"asdf" <> wrote
    >
    >> ??????
    >>
    >> Which ones and WHY?

    >For my home based business (short run CD production for muso's and
    >corporates), I use Verbatim exclusively. I experimented with other brands,
    >and decided to go the max on quality.

    The white Verbatims are made by CMC..

    Verbatim & Mitshubishi are the same firm..

    Big , Sep 30, 2003