    anti-virus apps & anti-spyware apps?
    Reasons/explanations for your choices would be welcome too.
    Thanks.

    The Master of The Known Universe, May 9, 2006

  2. The Master of The Known Universe

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-09, The Master of The Known Universe <> wrote:
    > In your opinion/experience, what are the top 3 stand-alone firewalls,

    1) hardware
    2) Shorewall
    3) 1+2

    > anti-virus apps & anti-spyware apps?

    1) Not using Windows
    2) Still not using Windows
    3) Never using Windows for anything requiring an internet connection or
    exchanging data with anyone else.

    > Reasons/explanations for your choices would be welcome too.
    > Thanks.

    A 'hardware' firewall is independent of whatever you might have running on
    computers protected by it.

    Shorewall runs on Linux and if you have it running on the only machine
    directly connected to the internet then you very nearly have a hardware
    firewall. Windows is inherently vulnerable, due to its basic design; it
    can be made secure, but just not letting it get loose in the first place is
    even better ;))

    If you aren't using Windows, you do not need anti-virus or anti-spyware
    tools at all. (Firms whose business is selling anti-virus and
    anti-spyware products naturally don't want to admit that, because if
    people stop using Windows then they'll stop needing anti-spyware and
    anti-virus programs).

    I don't use Windows, this machine has Shorewall installed, and it connects
    to the internet via a router+firewall device. No viruses, no trojans, no
    spyware :))

    (And before you ask, no rootkits either; I do know that Linux is not
    invulnerable, even though it is invulnerable to things that can break
    Windows).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 9, 2006

  3. The Master of The Known Universe

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, The Master of The Known
    Universe <> wrote:

    > In your opinion/experience, what are the top 3 stand-alone firewalls,
    > anti-virus apps & anti-spyware apps?

    From reading in this group and others, you might see these most
    strongly recommended:

    Firewall:
    Kerio
    Outpost
    Zone Alarm

    Anti-virus:
    Avast
    AVG

    Anti-spyware:
    Ewido
    Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware

    Mitch, May 10, 2006
  4. The Master of The Known Universe

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    > Shorewall runs on Linux and if you have it running on the only machine
    > directly connected to the internet then you very nearly have a hardware
    > firewall.

    I thought all Linux packages included a firewall as a basic tool --are
    you saying that isn't true, or that there is a better one for your
    Linux distro?

    Mitch, May 10, 2006
  5. The Master of The Known Universe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The Master of The Known Universe wrote:
    > In your opinion/experience, what are the top 3 stand-alone firewalls,

    A low-end FW appliance like WatchGuard, Cisco, SnapGear, Sonicwall and
    others or a NAT FW router that's ICSA certified. Netgear makes an ICSA
    certified router and there are others. You can get the FW appliances
    used if that's a concerned that has a full warrantee and Netgear for
    under $100.

    Why, because they have a syslog where you can use something like
    Wallwatcher or KWIW Syslog Daemon (both free) and the solutions above
    meet the specs for what does an Internet FW do.

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

    As for a host based solution that's standalone, any solutions that use
    two NIC with one connected to the modem the Internet facing NIC and the
    other one facing the LAN the LAN facing NIC. One that ICSA certified if
    possible.

    > anti-virus apps & anti-spyware apps?

    I like NOD32 and it's one of the best, because it has a top rating and
    light on the resources.

    Anti-spyware I don't use it and have no use for it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 10, 2006
  6. The Master of The Known Universe

    Seatoller Guest

    It was on Tue, 09 May 2006 23:38:25 +0000, that Mitch wrote:

    > In article <>, Whiskers
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Shorewall runs on Linux and if you have it running on the only machine
    >> directly connected to the internet then you very nearly have a hardware
    >> firewall.

    > I thought all Linux packages included a firewall as a basic tool --are you
    > saying that isn't true, or that there is a better one for your Linux
    > distro?

    The OP was asking for a /standalone/ firewall, of which the Shorline
    Firewall (aka Shorewall) is one. He wasn't asking about /integrated/
    firewalls, which the majority of linux distros have as a standard feature.

    --
    The short life and hard times of a Linux virus
    http://librenix.com/?inode=21

    Seatoller, May 10, 2006
  7. The Master of The Known Universe

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-09, Seatoller <> wrote:
    > It was on Tue, 09 May 2006 23:38:25 +0000, that Mitch wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Whiskers
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Shorewall runs on Linux and if you have it running on the only machine
    >>> directly connected to the internet then you very nearly have a hardware
    >>> firewall.

    >> I thought all Linux packages included a firewall as a basic tool --are you
    >> saying that isn't true, or that there is a better one for your Linux
    >> distro?

    > The OP was asking for a /standalone/ firewall, of which the Shorline
    > Firewall (aka Shorewall) is one. He wasn't asking about /integrated/
    > firewalls, which the majority of linux distros have as a standard feature.

    For people running Linux, "iptables" (or the older "ipchains") is what does
    the equivalent of a software firewall on a Windows system. Then,
    "Shorewall" or "Guarddog" or many other such programs provide a GUI for
    administering iptables - and appear to the user to be somewhat like the
    'firewall' programs familiar to Windows users. It is of course possible
    to configure iptables without using a GUI. Other tools also exist for
    controlling access and egress, such as "TCP wrappers" and of course the
    hosts file. Just not running as 'root' goes a long way.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, May 10, 2006
  8. "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, The Master of The Known
    > Universe <> wrote:
    >
    >> In your opinion/experience, what are the top 3 stand-alone firewalls,
    >> anti-virus apps & anti-spyware apps?

    > From reading in this group and others, you might see these most
    > strongly recommended:
    >

    > Firewall:
    > Kerio
    > Outpost
    > Zone Alarm
    >
    > Anti-virus:
    > Avast
    > AVG
    >
    > Anti-spyware:
    > Ewido
    > Spybot S&D
    > Ad-Aware

    Thanks to all for your replies.
    Is it significant that all the above are free? (Well Ewido is sort-of free).
    Are there any paid-for stand-alone apps you'd recommend for Windows in
    addition to NOD32 that Duane mentioned?
    Are there any websites that you consider knowledgeable and reliable that
    compare different apps? I've seen loads of different sites recommending &
    ranking loads of different apps, but I have no objective way of knowing how
    reliable they are.
    Thanks
    (BTW Duane, how come you have no need for antispyware?)

    The Master of The Known Universe, May 10, 2006
  9. "The Master of The Known Universe" <> wrote in message
    > In your opinion/experience, what are the top 3 stand-alone firewalls,
    > anti-virus apps & anti-spyware apps?
    > Reasons/explanations for your choices would be welcome too.

    Oh, something I forgot to ask...
    Am I right in thinking that you should only have 1 firewall and 1 anti-virus
    app running at the same time on your PC? Or am I mistaken?
    I think you can run multiple anti-spyware apps, but is there a chance any
    could conflict with one another? Can you have too few or too many
    anti-spyware programs running at the same time? Is there an optimum number?

    The Master of The Known Universe, May 10, 2006
  10. The Master of The Known Universe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The Master of The Known Universe wrote:
    > "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <>, The Master of The Known
    >>Universe <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>In your opinion/experience, what are the top 3 stand-alone firewalls,
    >>>anti-virus apps & anti-spyware apps?

    >>From reading in this group and others, you might see these most
    >>strongly recommended:
    >>

    >>Firewall:
    >>Kerio
    >>Outpost
    >>Zone Alarm
    >>
    >>Anti-virus:
    >>Avast
    >>AVG
    >>
    >>Anti-spyware:
    >>Ewido
    >>Spybot S&D
    >>Ad-Aware

    > Thanks to all for your replies.
    > Is it significant that all the above are free? (Well Ewido is sort-of free).
    > Are there any paid-for stand-alone apps you'd recommend for Windows in
    > addition to NOD32 that Duane mentioned?
    > Are there any websites that you consider knowledgeable and reliable that
    > compare different apps? I've seen loads of different sites recommending &
    > ranking loads of different apps, but I have no objective way of knowing how
    > reliable they are.
    > Thanks
    > (BTW Duane, how come you have no need for antispyware?)

    1) http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    However, I still use IE and OE and I don't have problems is using them,
    as I am on top of what I am doing with them.

    2) http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    3) I use the tools in the link and go look for myself.

    Long

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    4) I don't depend upon such solutions or a personal FW/personal host
    based packet filter like a crutch, because they can be easily
    circumvented and defeated.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 10, 2006
  11. The Master of The Known Universe

    clouds Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:FLo8g.997$...
    > The Master of The Known Universe wrote:
    >> "Mitch" <> wrote in message

    >>>From reading in this group and others, you might see these most
    >>>strongly recommended:
    >>>

    >>>Firewall:
    >>>Kerio
    >>>Outpost
    >>>Zone Alarm
    >>>
    >>>Anti-virus:
    >>>Avast
    >>>AVG
    >>>
    >>>Anti-spyware:
    >>>Ewido
    >>>Spybot S&D
    >>>Ad-Aware

    >> Thanks to all for your replies.
    >> Is it significant that all the above are free? (Well Ewido is sort-of
    >> free). Are there any paid-for stand-alone apps you'd recommend for
    >> Windows in addition to NOD32 that Duane mentioned?
    >> Are there any websites that you consider knowledgeable and reliable that
    >> compare different apps? I've seen loads of different sites recommending &
    >> ranking loads of different apps, but I have no objective way of knowing
    >> how reliable they are.
    >> Thanks
    >> (BTW Duane, how come you have no need for antispyware?)

    > 1) http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    >
    > However, I still use IE and OE and I don't have problems is using them, as
    > I am on top of what I am doing with them.
    >
    > 2) http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
    >
    > 3) I use the tools in the link and go look for myself.
    >
    > Long
    >
    > http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html
    >
    > Short
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/klw1
    >
    > 4) I don't depend upon such solutions or a personal FW/personal host based
    > packet filter like a crutch, because they can be easily circumvented and
    > defeated.
    >
    > Duane :)

    I use AVG ...Outpost...and Ad-aware. Yep, it`s signifigant that they are all
    free. In my case anyway.

    Here is a good place to find info:

    http://www.komando.com/

    I learn a lot from this woan.