Top 10 Programs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector, May 11, 2004.

  1. Collector

    Collector Guest

    Its a slow day so..

    Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    next 10 programs you install?
    We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you remove!
    Now we are after programs here not steps like disable messenger service
    and the likes.

    For me on my workstation notebook
    1. Mozilla, Have to have my mail
    2. Win Zip, lots of my mail has files which are zipped
    3. Tight VNC, To lazy to go over to my main Gateway machine to change
    mail server settings etc
    4. Video Lan Client, have to have my on demand streaming movies and
    music videos
    5. Win Amp, Great for music and with the HTML remote control plug in
    installed I have full control of it either playing local or on the gateway
    6. Office 2000, Dam have to earn a living
    7. Visio, see above
    8. ACDSee, for viewing my digital camera pics (stored on the gateway
    machine)
    9. Nero 2.00.28, got to be ale to archive my work
    10. TweakUi, to get rid of the defaults MickeyShit thinks I should have.

    Collector, May 11, 2004

  2. Collector

    brundlefly Guest

    "Collector" <> wrote in message
    > Its a slow day so..
    >
    > Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    > after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    > next 10 programs you install?
    > We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    > anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you

    remove!
    > Now we are after programs here not steps like disable messenger service
    > and the likes.
    >
    > For me on my workstation notebook
    > 1. Mozilla, Have to have my mail
    > 2. Win Zip, lots of my mail has files which are zipped
    > 3. Tight VNC, To lazy to go over to my main Gateway machine to change
    > mail server settings etc
    > 4. Video Lan Client, have to have my on demand streaming movies and
    > music videos
    > 5. Win Amp, Great for music and with the HTML remote control plug in
    > installed I have full control of it either playing local or on the gateway
    > 6. Office 2000, Dam have to earn a living
    > 7. Visio, see above
    > 8. ACDSee, for viewing my digital camera pics (stored on the gateway
    > machine)
    > 9. Nero 2.00.28, got to be ale to archive my work
    > 10. TweakUi, to get rid of the defaults MickeyShit thinks I should have.

    Top 11 Free

    Putty
    CDex
    Audacity
    StationRipper
    Burnatonce
    Firefox
    PDFCreator
    Mpeg Audio Collection
    7-Zip
    Slimserver
    Softsqueeze

    brundlefly, May 11, 2004

  3. Collector

    TmcT Guest

    "brundlefly" <> wrote in message

    > "Collector" <> wrote in message
    > > Its a slow day so..
    > >
    > > Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    > > after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    > > next 10 programs you install?
    > > We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    > > anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you

    > remove!
    > > Now we are after programs here not steps like disable messenger service
    > > and the likes.
    > >
    > > For me on my workstation notebook
    > > 1. Mozilla, Have to have my mail
    > > 2. Win Zip, lots of my mail has files which are zipped
    > > 3. Tight VNC, To lazy to go over to my main Gateway machine to change
    > > mail server settings etc
    > > 4. Video Lan Client, have to have my on demand streaming movies and
    > > music videos
    > > 5. Win Amp, Great for music and with the HTML remote control plug in
    > > installed I have full control of it either playing local or on the

    gateway
    > > 6. Office 2000, Dam have to earn a living
    > > 7. Visio, see above
    > > 8. ACDSee, for viewing my digital camera pics (stored on the gateway
    > > machine)
    > > 9. Nero 2.00.28, got to be ale to archive my work
    > > 10. TweakUi, to get rid of the defaults MickeyShit thinks I should have.
    > >

    > Top 11 Free
    >
    > Putty
    > CDex
    > Audacity
    > StationRipper
    > Burnatonce
    > Firefox
    > PDFCreator
    > Mpeg Audio Collection
    > 7-Zip
    > Slimserver
    > Softsqueeze

    more free stuff:

    Ssleipnir v1.41 EN (Front-end browzer base on IE, tones to customize)
    http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/body?wb_url=http://www20.pos
    ..to%2F%7Esleipnir%2Fsoftware%2Fsleipnir%2Findex.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

    InsideCAT Lite (Disc/Disk cataloguer, limited 100 entries)
    http://www.insidecat.com/english/index.htm

    e-Backup 1.42 (One step backup OE data and IE Favorites)
    http://www.inachis.com/download/index.php

    PC Inspector File Recovery v3
    http://www.convar.de

    TmcT, May 11, 2004
  4. On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:20:44 +1200, Collector
    <> wrote:

    >Its a slow day so..
    >
    >Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    >after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    >next 10 programs you install?
    >We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    >anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you remove!
    >Now we are after programs here not steps like disable messenger service
    >and the likes.

    1.) Opera browser
    2.) Free Agent
    3.) Pegasus Mail
    4.) IrfanView
    5.) Winamp
    6.) WinMX
    7.) XTree Gold (Dos version)

    and 3 TV card apps

    8.) TMpeg
    9.) PCTV Vision
    10.) And another one.

    Bye,
    James

    James McLaughlin, May 11, 2004
  5. Collector

    GraB Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Its a slow day so..
    >
    >Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    >after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    >next 10 programs you install?
    >We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    >anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you remove!
    >Now we are after programs here not steps like disable messenger service
    >and the likes.

    ACDSee
    Thunderbird
    Firefox
    WinAmp 2.91
    Agent
    jv16 Power Tools
    WinMX
    Kazaa Lite
    DVDDecrypter
    Dr DivX

    Must also add Zoom Player for watching DivX files
    Nero
    PowerDVD
    CDEx
    MP3Gain

    GraB, May 11, 2004
  6. Collector

    Randor Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Its a slow day so..
    >
    >Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    >after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    >next 10 programs you install?
    >We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    >anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you remove!
    >Now we are after programs here not steps like disable messenger service
    >and the likes.
    >
    >For me on my workstation notebook
    >1. Mozilla, Have to have my mail
    >2. Win Zip, lots of my mail has files which are zipped
    >3. Tight VNC, To lazy to go over to my main Gateway machine to change
    >mail server settings etc
    >4. Video Lan Client, have to have my on demand streaming movies and
    >music videos
    >5. Win Amp, Great for music and with the HTML remote control plug in
    >installed I have full control of it either playing local or on the gateway
    >6. Office 2000, Dam have to earn a living
    >7. Visio, see above
    >8. ACDSee, for viewing my digital camera pics (stored on the gateway
    >machine)
    >9. Nero 2.00.28, got to be ale to archive my work
    >10. TweakUi, to get rid of the defaults MickeyShit thinks I should have.

    hey, I just done this, so here's mine

    1. Servant Salamander - superior file manager
    2. K9 spam filter
    3. Pegasus Mail
    4. Agent
    5. Password pro
    6. Ad-aware
    7. Total Recorder
    8. Irfanview
    9. Acrobat reader
    10. Diskkeeper.

    Randor, May 11, 2004
  7. Collector

    Max Barwell Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:20:44 +1200, Collector wrote:

    in no particular order:

    Mozilla
    Nero Ultra
    dvd-shrink
    winrar
    office xp
    winamp
    photoshop CS
    adaware
    spybot s&d
    norton av 2004

    Max Barwell, May 11, 2004
  8. Collector

    bambam Guest

    Collector <> wrote in

    > Its a slow day so..
    >
    > Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install.
    > So after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches
    > what are the next 10 programs you install?
    > We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the
    > second anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things
    > that you remove! Now we are after programs here not steps like
    > disable messenger service and the likes.

    PowerDesk
    Firefox
    AdAware
    SpyBot
    Winamp 2.91
    Irfanview
    Proxomitron
    Winpatrol
    Magic Mail Monitor
    Zoom Player
    Xnews
    Total Uninstall

    Yeah, I know it's 12 but I couldn't decide what to leave out. ;)

    --
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because
    you stopped laughing.

    bambam, May 11, 2004
  9. Collector

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Collector <> wrote in

    > Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    > after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are
    > the next 10 programs you install?
    > We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    > anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you
    > remove! Now we are after programs here not steps like disable
    > messenger service and the likes.

    XNView
    Spybot S & D
    Winamp
    SamSpade
    Tcpview
    Dr Md5
    UltraVNC
    NetMeter
    Folding At Home
    Daemon Tools
    WorkRave
    Some kind of office email suite thing.
    Vivisimo Tool bar to complement Google home page.
    A few others too, but mainly those get used the most.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 11, 2004
  10. Collector

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:20:44 +1200, Collector wrote:

    > Its a slow day so..
    >
    > Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install.

    you sound like that is a regular routine - I cant renember the last time i
    had to reinstall.

    > So
    > after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    > next 10 programs you install?

    IIS, SQL Server
    Visual Studio .Net - that bitch takes over an hour.
    ASP.Net
    MSDN
    IIS Lockdown, MBSA

    Subversion
    Apache (for Subversion)
    AnkhSVN .NET (subversion addin for vs.net)
    TortoiseSVN (subversion intergration into windows shell)

    MS Office

    cd-burning, imaging & emulating software
    skype
    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek

    Steven H, May 12, 2004
  11. Collector

    K T T Guest

    Winamp 2.91
    Firefox
    Photoshop 7
    Tweakui
    Nero
    Kazaalite
    Adaware
    Corel Draw

    K T T, May 12, 2004
  12. In article <40a01d36$>,
    says...
    > Its a slow day so..
    >
    > Windows does its best and shits itself and you have to re install. So
    > after loading the OS and of course the megabytes of patches what are the
    > next 10 programs you install?
    > We will assume of course that the first is an firewall and the second
    > anti virus but the next ten steps, which may include things that you remove!
    > Now we are after programs here not steps like disable messenger service
    > and the likes.
    >
    > For me on my workstation notebook
    > 1. Mozilla, Have to have my mail
    > 2. Win Zip, lots of my mail has files which are zipped
    > 3. Tight VNC, To lazy to go over to my main Gateway machine to change
    > mail server settings etc
    > 4. Video Lan Client, have to have my on demand streaming movies and
    > music videos
    > 5. Win Amp, Great for music and with the HTML remote control plug in
    > installed I have full control of it either playing local or on the gateway
    > 6. Office 2000, Dam have to earn a living
    > 7. Visio, see above
    > 8. ACDSee, for viewing my digital camera pics (stored on the gateway
    > machine)
    > 9. Nero 2.00.28, got to be ale to archive my work
    > 10. TweakUi, to get rid of the defaults MickeyShit thinks I should have.

    Mozilla
    Thunderbird
    Office 97 (without Outlook)
    Publisher 95
    Delphi 3
    Delphi 5
    Paint Shop Pro 5
    Gravity
    MS Backup
    EditPlus
    Download Express
    Legacy
    various little bits and pieces

    had to do that twice this week...this week the HDD refused to spin up
    twice when it was supposed to, once at turn on and once after the system
    had spun down the HDD in power saving. Get another HDD and repeat
    process. The sole bonus was this time around, I restored my mail profile
    first, T-bird picked it up at installation and I didn't have to set
    anything up.

    Patrick Dunford, May 15, 2004