Top 10 Digital Cameras for Serious Amateurs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gary_hendricks@digital-music-guide.com, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    , Dec 13, 2004

  2. Chuck Guest

    Chuck, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Pete D Guest

    Yes, somewhat out of date, Nikon D70, Pentax *ist DS, Canon 20D, the new
    Minolta's, Fuji S2 Pro?? Sony's ?????

    Pete D, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Phil Wheeler Guest

    Phil Wheeler, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Skip M Guest

    And it doesn't list the Nikon D70 at all...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Dec 13, 2004
  6. RSD99 Guest

    IMHO:
    *Any* article whose title begins with the words "Top Ten ..." is probably
    not worth the cost of the paper (*or* electrons) it's printed on.
    RSD99, Dec 13, 2004
  7. TAFKAB Guest

    > when you see the Sony 828 in a top ten, you know something is wrong... And
    > the 10D is not available anymore.

    Did you ever shoot with one?

    TAFKAB, Dec 13, 2004
  8. Matt Ion Guest

    Matt Ion, Dec 14, 2004
  9. Mark² Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > Here's an interesting article I found about the best digital cameras
    > > for serious amateurs.
    > >
    > > Check it out at:

    http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/top-10-digital-cameras-for-serious-amateurs.html
    > > Regards
    > > Chris

    > Interesting, the only Nikons were CoolPix ZLRs - not one Nikon dSLR in
    > the bunch.

    I'm a Canon guy, but that is just silly.
    No Nikon D70, or D100, and yet there are all these point-and-shoots???

    Ridiculous.
    Mark², Dec 14, 2004
  10. Mark² Guest

    "TAFKAB" <> wrote in message

    > "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > > when you see the Sony 828 in a top ten, you know something is wrong...

    And
    > > the 10D is not available anymore.

    > Did you ever shoot with one?

    Have you looked at images taken with it?
    It doesn't have a lot to like in terms of noise.

    Mark², Dec 14, 2004
  11. Pete D Guest

    > "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi all
    >> >
    >> > Here's an interesting article I found about the best digital cameras
    >> > for serious amateurs.
    >> >
    >> > Check it out at:
    >> >

    > http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/top-10-digital-cameras-for-serious-amateurs.html
    >> > Regards
    >> > Chris

    >> Interesting, the only Nikons were CoolPix ZLRs - not one Nikon dSLR in
    >> the bunch.

    > I'm a Canon guy, but that is just silly.
    > No Nikon D70, or D100, and yet there are all these point-and-shoots???
    >
    > Ridiculous.

    It was after all the amateurs lists guys.
    Pete D, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Mick Brown Guest

    I reckon that it's an old list, the fact that the D70 and 20D were missing
    tells me that this list is out of date.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    Mick Brown, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Darrell Guest

    "Mick Brown" <> wrote in message
    > I reckon that it's an old list, the fact that the D70 and 20D were missing
    > tells me that this list is out of date.

    The list is over a year old, I suspect just about the time the Drebel was
    released. The site is for a small time retail store, so hardly an
    influential site.
    Darrell, Dec 14, 2004
  14. Larry Guest

    In article <XJvvd.4802$2r.2269@fed1read02>, "Mark²" says...
    > I'm a Canon guy, but that is just silly.
    > No Nikon D70, or D100, and yet there are all these point-and-shoots???
    >
    > Ridiculous.

    Im pretty sure the word Amateurs in the link sets the tone for the cameras
    chosen.

    If the article was about serious PROS the choices would be different and
    wouldn't include the point and shoot cameras.

    Not ridiculous, just limmited in scope.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 14, 2004
  15. Larry Guest

    In article <bLvvd.4803$2r.520@fed1read02>, "Mark²" says...
    > > > when you see the Sony 828 in a top ten, you know something is wrong....

    > And
    > > > the 10D is not available anymore.

    > > Did you ever shoot with one?

    > Have you looked at images taken with it?
    > It doesn't have a lot to like in terms of noise.

    There is nothing wrong with the Sony 828 at ISO 64 and ISO 100, but it IS un-
    useably noisy at higher ISO settings.

    I've shot over 7000 (7,820 to be exact) pictures with an 828, and I just know
    better than to use the higher ISO levels with it. Limiting??? Yes, very, but
    it still does very well for some uses.

    It is a list of cameras for AMATEURS, not PROS.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Mike Henley Guest

    The list is way out of date.
    Mike Henley, Dec 14, 2004
  17. Annika1980 Guest

    1. : Canon 20D

    2.- 10. : Who cares?
    Annika1980, Dec 14, 2004
  18. TAFKAB Guest

    > "TAFKAB" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    >> > when you see the Sony 828 in a top ten, you know something is wrong...

    > And
    >> > the 10D is not available anymore.

    >> Did you ever shoot with one?

    > Have you looked at images taken with it?
    > It doesn't have a lot to like in terms of noise.

    I own one, and the noise issue is way overstated. Noise at 64 and 100 is
    low, and the camera is more than usable up to 400. 800 is for those times
    when a bad image is preferable to no image. But the Sony is an excellent
    cam, and anyone who's actually used one for more than a few simple test
    shots would probably agree.

    TAFKAB, Dec 14, 2004
  19. Mark² Guest

    "TAFKAB" <> wrote in message

    > > "TAFKAB" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com> wrote in message

    wrong...
    > > And
    > >>
    > >> Did you ever shoot with one?

    > > Have you looked at images taken with it?
    > > It doesn't have a lot to like in terms of noise.

    > I own one, and the noise issue is way overstated. Noise at 64 and 100 is
    > low, and the camera is more than usable up to 400. 800 is for those times
    > when a bad image is preferable to no image. But the Sony is an excellent
    > cam, and anyone who's actually used one for more than a few simple test
    > shots would probably agree.

    With the 10D, 3200 is what I would call emergency use, but surprisingly
    decent...
    ....1600 is VERY usable,
    and 800 is spectacular for the ISO.
    400 is nearly noiseless.
    200 is incredible.
    100 is the cleanest image you'll find anywhere.
    The Sony just doesn't compare at all well when taken within context of the
    competition.
    Mark², Dec 15, 2004
  20. empyrean Guest

    Whatever cameras have been mentioned might b gr8 but where is olympus..
    the C650,C700 .. with a 10x OPTICAL zoom and host of manual features
    can any amatuer afford to ignore this.
    empyrean, Dec 15, 2004