Tools or Toys for Little Boys?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ASAAR, Aug 30, 2008.

  1. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    > Social adoption of technological change takes place for one of two reason...
    >
    > 1 – A need is determined and someone then finds a way to fulfill it
    >
    > 2 – A new technology evolves and people then discover what can be done with it
    >
    > I believe that we are at a point in time where a profound change is about
    > to take place in the photographic industry. It is being driven not by user
    > demand, but by the inevitable convergence of a number of required
    > technologies. In combination, and when a certain nexus is reached, they
    > will allow the creation of a new type of photographic instrument which
    > will radically change the way photographers and film makers work.

    . . .

    > Real Photographers Don't Need High Speed
    >
    > I can see it now. No sooner will this essay be online than someone on one
    > of the forums will lament how cameras such as what I've described will
    > be the work of the devil, because real photographers wait for the moment
    > of peak action and then take the one shot that captures it best.
    > Machine-gunning in the hope of getting the decisive moment will damn
    > photographers that use them to hell, or at least lead to scorn from ones peer.
    >
    > OK, fine – whatever. But trust me – people who have to make their livings
    > by capturing action photographs don't give a rats derier what those forum
    > folks think. They've got an editor waiting and deadlines to meet, and if
    > 30 -100 FPS gets the shot, then it's the ticket. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

    . . .

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/convergence.shtml
    ASAAR, Aug 30, 2008

  2. ASAAR

    saycheez Guest

    The only camera so far that fits what you describe is the Casio.
    EVF cameras will eventually supplant optical viewfinders except for
    specialized uses. In part that is because young people who will upgrade to
    better cameras are used to the EVF of their point and shoot as the standard
    paradigm. They will drive the future market and hence design of cameras
    rather than what is technically superior.
    This is comparable to the vast number of photographers who do not think a
    camera can be any good if it does not have the form factor and image capture
    area of a 1935 Exacta, which is why dSLRs are still the SUV sized behemoths
    they do not need to be.
    With the D90 and the minimal difficulty of extracting a hi-def video quality
    image out of the lowest tier P&S sensor it would appear that the days of the
    stand alone video camera are as doomed as film and videotape.
    What most consumers would like to see is a combo video/still camera that has
    the form factor of a small video camera and the still image quality of a
    dSLR.
    One to two more years . . .
    saycheez, Aug 31, 2008

  3. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 17:07:59 -0700, saycheez wrote:

    > The only camera so far that fits what you describe is the Casio.

    Nooo. If you followed the link to the article/essay you would
    have seen that the Casio is one of the cameras mentioned. Several
    RED models (One, Scarlet, Epic) were described, and they're all far
    more capable than the EX-F1 (not all are yet available), but also
    adding that they're also more expensive would be an understatement.
    That article also has a link to an earlier review of the Casio. It
    shows a very interesting camera that (for those who've followed
    another thread referring to the D90's "limited" 720p output) can
    produce 720p or 1080i video. Here's a snippet from that other page:

    > Now of course the EX-F1 is no substitute for a regular camcorder
    > for the more serious worker – I'm not suggesting that. But I can
    > say that for the casual video shooter working in HD, the results are
    > acceptable. (I did not work in 1080I as I found that my Macbook Pro
    > wasn't up to the task, and would drop frames. It also seemed to me
    > that for my uses 720P was more than adequate as well as easier to
    > work with in Final Cut. Another advantage of the Casio over an
    > AVCHD camcorders is that the files do not need any form of
    > conversion. They can be read directly by the latest version of Quicktime.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/casio-exf1.shtml
    and
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/convergence.shtml
    ASAAR, Aug 31, 2008
  4. ASAAR

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 30, 6:28 pm, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > > Social adoption of technological change takes place for one of two reason...

    > >         1 – A need is determined and someone then finds a way to fulfill it

    > >         2 – A new technology evolves and people then discover what can be done with it

    > > I believe that we are at a point in time where a profound change is about
    > > to take place in the photographic industry. It is being driven not by user
    > > demand, but by the inevitable convergence of a number of required
    > > technologies. In combination, and when a certain nexus is reached, they
    > > will allow the creation of a new type of photographic instrument which
    > > will radically change the way photographers and film makers work.

    >  . . .
    >
    > > Real Photographers Don't Need High Speed

    > > I can see it now. No sooner will this essay be online than someone on one
    > > of the forums will lament how cameras such as what I've described will
    > > be the work of the devil, because real photographers wait for the moment
    > > of peak action and then take the one shot that captures it best.
    > > Machine-gunning in the hope of getting the decisive moment will damn
    > > photographers that use them to hell, or at least lead to scorn from ones peer.

    > > OK, fine – whatever. But trust me – people who have to make their livings
    > > by capturing action photographs don't give a rats derier what those forum
    > > folks think. They've got an editor waiting and deadlines to meet, and if
    > > 30 -100 FPS gets the shot, then it's the ticket. Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

    >  . . .
    >
    >  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/convergence.shtml

    Does this mean the "RED One" will take over where DSLRs have left off?
    http://www.red.com/cameras
    Camera
    PIXEL SHIFTING AND UP-REZZING NOT SPOKEN HERE

    Typical high-end HD camcorders have 2.1M pixel sensors and record with
    3:1:1 color sub-sampled video at up to 30fps. RED offers the Mysterium
    ™ Super 35mm cine sized (24.4×13.7mm) sensor, which provides 4K (up to
    30 fps), 3K (up to 60 fps) and 2K (up to 120 fps) capture, and all
    this with wide dynamic range and color space in 12 bit native RAW.
    RichA, Sep 1, 2008
  5. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:30:57 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:

    >>  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/convergence.shtml

    > Does this mean the "RED One" will take over where DSLRs have left off?

    Why not read the L-L essay and see what it had to say about that?
    There's more to RED than just that One.
    ASAAR, Sep 1, 2008
  6. ASAAR

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 31, 10:44 pm, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:30:57 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
    > >>  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/convergence.shtml

    > > Does this mean the "RED One" will take over where DSLRs have left off?

    >   Why not read the L-L essay and see what it had to say about that?
    > There's more to RED than just that One.

    The idea that video would replace still photography came up last
    year. It would certainly save money. Instead of magazines employing
    photographers at a (for e.g.) football game, you could station remote
    video cameras all over and run them constantly, they have a computer
    sort through the images with instructions to look for specific things
    that are truly publishable.
    Rich, Sep 1, 2008