Tools for testing & monitoring MGCP networks?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Peter Valdemar Morch, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    We're deploying an MGCP network, and we'd like to monitor its health,
    so we can discover when its not working.

    How is that done? I'm thinking that maybe it would be possible to use
    an opensource MGCP tool (such as http://www.asterisk.org/ ?) to
    somehow setup a dummy call and see if that goes well.

    Ideally, the test will be non-intrusive - so the phone never actually
    rings in the other end.

    A couple of questions:

    1) Is it even possible with MGCP to see if the "other end is alive" -
    without the phone actually ringing in the other end, and without
    getting an answer from intermediate equipment (e.g. specifying some
    options that we know the other end doesn't support or something)? A
    sort of "MGCP ping"? Of course I can do a standard ICMP ping, but I'd
    like to see that the signalling stack is working too. As close as we
    can come to actually giving the guy in the other end a real call
    asking "You there?"... :-D

    2) What tools could I use? Has this been done before? Both free and
    commercial tools are interesting in this context.

    3) Basic connectivity is our focus initially, but what other tests are
    useful? QoS (latency, jitter, loss)? What else? Tool support?

    Both tools that will establish a call with and without "the phone
    actually ringing" are of interest, but in dreamland I'd prefer an open
    source *NIX command line utility that tests to see if the other end is
    up without the phone actually ringing....

    There was a "Monitoring VOIP" thread about this from 2002,
    http://tinyurl.com/3pqgz, but it didn't have any answers, so I was
    hoping maybe something has happened in the meantime...

    Sincerely,

    Peter

    Peter Valdemar Morch, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Peter Valdemar Morch

    Alan Clark Guest

    Peter

    You could take a look at Telchemy's web site (www.telchemy.com), and
    at the VoIP Troubleshooter site (www.voiptroubleshooter.com), both of
    which can provide useful information and links on monitoring VoIP
    services

    Regards

    Alan

    Alan Clark, Aug 29, 2004