Tools for collecting IP source and destination (subnet) pair statistics ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Keith B., Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Keith B.

    Keith B. Guest

    We are currently using Nortel ITG cards in our PBX's for VoIP trunk
    style calls. These cards allow for VoIP between the PBX's (basically
    displacing traditional ISDN tie lines). We are able to collect in/out
    bps information from the 6500 switch port where the ITG's are
    connected from our NMS tools. Our bigger interest is to capture call
    flows based on source and destination IP addresses. This will allow us
    to gauge the voice traffic usage between particular PBX sites. We are
    interested in source/destination subnet and byte count between sites
    (PBX's). Real time statistics would be nice as well.

    What Cisco tools, features or MIB data are available to retrieve this
    information. The first thing that comes to mind is NetFlow. We don't
    have it implemented but I was wondering if this is the tool for my
    request.

    Other possible methods:

    We do classify and mark our voice traffic at the 6500 switch so I
    would have to assume there is some data at this point that may be of
    use.

    Also, there are QoS policies implemented at the edge (on the ATM
    network) where all the VoIP traffic flows. I would assume I could pull
    MIB data from the QoS policy hits but that appears to be in byte count
    only since we only look at the diffserv bit to classify (LLQ).

    Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

    Keith
    Keith B., Jan 29, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Keith B. <> wrote:
    :Our bigger interest is to capture call
    :flows based on source and destination IP addresses. This will allow us
    :to gauge the voice traffic usage between particular PBX sites. We are
    :interested in source/destination subnet and byte count between sites
    :(PBX's). Real time statistics would be nice as well.

    :What Cisco tools, features or MIB data are available to retrieve this
    :information. The first thing that comes to mind is NetFlow. We don't
    :have it implemented but I was wondering if this is the tool for my
    :request.

    Yeh, that's the one. Netflow isn't available via SNMP though.
    "ip accounting" might be close enough for you; my memory fails me as
    to whether that's available via SNMP.
    --
    WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,vonNeumann}D ?
    Walter Roberson, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Keith B.

    Mike Guest

    Re: Tools for collecting IP source and destination (subnet) pairstatistics ?

    Keith B. wrote:
    > We are currently using Nortel ITG cards in our PBX's for VoIP trunk
    > style calls. These cards allow for VoIP between the PBX's (basically
    > displacing traditional ISDN tie lines). We are able to collect in/out
    > bps information from the 6500 switch port where the ITG's are
    > connected from our NMS tools. Our bigger interest is to capture call
    > flows based on source and destination IP addresses. This will allow us
    > to gauge the voice traffic usage between particular PBX sites. We are
    > interested in source/destination subnet and byte count between sites
    > (PBX's). Real time statistics would be nice as well.
    >
    > What Cisco tools, features or MIB data are available to retrieve this
    > information. The first thing that comes to mind is NetFlow. We don't
    > have it implemented but I was wondering if this is the tool for my
    > request.
    >
    > Other possible methods:
    >
    > We do classify and mark our voice traffic at the 6500 switch so I
    > would have to assume there is some data at this point that may be of
    > use.
    >
    > Also, there are QoS policies implemented at the edge (on the ATM
    > network) where all the VoIP traffic flows. I would assume I could pull
    > MIB data from the QoS policy hits but that appears to be in byte count
    > only since we only look at the diffserv bit to classify (LLQ).
    >
    > Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
    >
    > Keith

    Definitely look at netflow. It should have what you are are looking
    for. look for a package called flow-tools if you need an Open Source
    collector. I've had good luck with it.

    -Mike
    Mike, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Keith B.

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <bvc207$h7g$>, -
    cnrc.gc.ca says...
    > Yeh, that's the one. Netflow isn't available via SNMP though.
    > "ip accounting" might be close enough for you; my memory fails me as
    > to whether that's available via SNMP.

    It is.

    --
    Ivan
    Ivan Ostres, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Keith B.

    shope Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Keith B. wrote:
    > > We are currently using Nortel ITG cards in our PBX's for VoIP trunk
    > > style calls. These cards allow for VoIP between the PBX's (basically
    > > displacing traditional ISDN tie lines). We are able to collect in/out
    > > bps information from the 6500 switch port where the ITG's are
    > > connected from our NMS tools. Our bigger interest is to capture call
    > > flows based on source and destination IP addresses. This will allow us
    > > to gauge the voice traffic usage between particular PBX sites. We are
    > > interested in source/destination subnet and byte count between sites
    > > (PBX's). Real time statistics would be nice as well.

    Surely what you should look at is the traffic info from the PBXes - they set
    up and tear down the voice calls, and choose the routes, so that provides
    the info you want directly.

    also PBXes normally provide all this info to the voice manager, so it isnt
    confined to just voip calls.

    then all you need is to correlate the bps from the local ports to understand
    the bandwidth per call.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Jan 30, 2004