    bgame
    ff 1.0.7

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Sep 22, 2005

  2. bgame63 wrote:
    > when i go to the tools drop down menu
    > and click extensions and then update
    > i get a message that update has been
    > disabled by your administrator
    > how can i get rid of this and be able to update
    > from the tools menu again ?
    > bgame
    > ff 1.0.7

    Are you on a work network?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 22, 2005

  3. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    no i am not on any network
    home computer no user accounts
    b game

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Sep 22, 2005
  4. bgame63 wrote:
    > no i am not on any network
    > home computer no user accounts
    > b game
    >
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> when i go to the tools drop down menu
    >>> and click extensions and then update
    >>> i get a message that update has been
    >>> disabled by your administrator
    >>> how can i get rid of this and be able to update
    >>> from the tools menu again ?
    >>> bgame
    >>> ff 1.0.7
    >>>

    >> Are you on a work network?
    >>
    >> Lee

    Then look at Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Software Update.

    Are the boxes checked for periodic updates? What happens when you click
    the Check now button?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 23, 2005
  5. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    when i do that it works fine
    no messages from ff

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Sep 24, 2005
  6. bgame63 wrote:
    > when i do that it works fine
    > no messages from ff
    > bgame
    >

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> no i am not on any network
    >>> home computer no user accounts
    >>> b game
    >>>
    >>> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >> Then look at Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Software Update.
    >>
    >> Are the boxes checked for periodic updates? What happens when you click
    >> the Check now button?
    >>
    >> Lee

    I hate to be a nudge, but when I first looked at this post, I had
    absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

    The problem was the mixed top and bottom posting. I bottom post, and
    you top post. Therefore it became very difficult to follow the thread
    in the post.

    Since I notice most of the people who post in this group bottom post,
    the Usenet norm for most groups, my I suggest that we follow that
    convention.

    Well, at least you do have functional update capability. Since its the
    same function, called from two different places in the UI, I'm at a loss
    to explain why one works and the other doesn't.

    Try starting FF in Safe Mode, which will disable your extensions. If it
    works okay in Safe mode, you have a problematic extension.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 24, 2005
  7. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    > bgame63 wrote:
    >> when i do that it works fine
    >> no messages from ff
    >> bgame
    >>

    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> Then look at Tools>>Options>>Advanced>>Software Update.
    >>>
    >>> Are the boxes checked for periodic updates? What happens when you click
    >>> the Check now button?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    > I hate to be a nudge, but when I first looked at this post, I had
    > absolutely no idea what you were talking about.
    >
    > The problem was the mixed top and bottom posting. I bottom post, and you
    > top post. Therefore it became very difficult to follow the thread in the
    > post.
    >
    > Since I notice most of the people who post in this group bottom post, the
    > Usenet norm for most groups, my I suggest that we follow that convention.
    >
    > Well, at least you do have functional update capability. Since its the
    > same function, called from two different places in the UI, I'm at a loss
    > to explain why one works and the other doesn't.
    >
    > Try starting FF in Safe Mode, which will disable your extensions. If it
    > works okay in Safe mode, you have a problematic extension.
    >
    > Lee

    tried in safe mode still have the same problem from tools extensions cant
    update
    disableb by admin
    b game

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Sep 25, 2005
  8. bgame63 wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> when i do that it works fine
    >>> no messages from ff
    >>> bgame
    >>>

    >>> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >> I hate to be a nudge, but when I first looked at this post, I had
    >> absolutely no idea what you were talking about.
    >>
    >> The problem was the mixed top and bottom posting. I bottom post, and you
    >> top post. Therefore it became very difficult to follow the thread in the
    >> post.
    >>
    >> Since I notice most of the people who post in this group bottom post, the
    >> Usenet norm for most groups, my I suggest that we follow that convention.
    >>
    >> Well, at least you do have functional update capability. Since its the
    >> same function, called from two different places in the UI, I'm at a loss
    >> to explain why one works and the other doesn't.
    >>
    >> Try starting FF in Safe Mode, which will disable your extensions. If it
    >> works okay in Safe mode, you have a problematic extension.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > tried in safe mode still have the same problem from tools extensions cant
    > update
    > disableb by admin
    > b game

    May well be that extensions that are disabled can't be updated.

    Well, next step, in normal mode, disable your extensions one by one, and
    see if FF will update.

    What extensions do you have installed?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 26, 2005
  9. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    > bgame63 wrote:
    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> I hate to be a nudge, but when I first looked at this post, I had
    >>> absolutely no idea what you were talking about.
    >>>
    >>> The problem was the mixed top and bottom posting. I bottom post, and
    >>> you top post. Therefore it became very difficult to follow the thread
    >>> in the post.
    >>>
    >>> Since I notice most of the people who post in this group bottom post,
    >>> the Usenet norm for most groups, my I suggest that we follow that
    >>> convention.
    >>>
    >>> Well, at least you do have functional update capability. Since its the
    >>> same function, called from two different places in the UI, I'm at a loss
    >>> to explain why one works and the other doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> Try starting FF in Safe Mode, which will disable your extensions. If it
    >>> works okay in Safe mode, you have a problematic extension.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> tried in safe mode still have the same problem from tools extensions cant
    >> update
    >> disableb by admin
    >> b game
    >>

    > May well be that extensions that are disabled can't be updated.
    >
    > Well, next step, in normal mode, disable your extensions one by one, and
    > see if FF will update.
    >
    > What extensions do you have installed?
    >
    > Lee

    i have
    bandwidth tester ver 0.5.4
    i e view ver 1.2.5
    tabbrowser preferences ver 1.2.8.5
    pdf downl;oad ver 0.5.1.2
    tweak network ver 1.1
    roboform ver 6.4.2
    chatzilla 0.9.68.5.1
    and how do u disable them
    without uninstalling ?
    thank you for the help
    b game

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Sep 27, 2005
  10. bgame63 wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> tried in safe mode still have the same problem from tools extensions cant
    >>> update
    >>> disableb by admin
    >>> b game
    >>>

    >> May well be that extensions that are disabled can't be updated.
    >>
    >> Well, next step, in normal mode, disable your extensions one by one, and
    >> see if FF will update.
    >>
    >> What extensions do you have installed?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > i have
    > bandwidth tester ver 0.5.4
    > i e view ver 1.2.5
    > tabbrowser preferences ver 1.2.8.5
    > pdf downl;oad ver 0.5.1.2
    > tweak network ver 1.1
    > roboform ver 6.4.2
    > chatzilla 0.9.68.5.1
    > and how do u disable them
    > without uninstalling ?
    > thank you for the help
    > b game

    Most of those extensions are ones I don't use, so I can't advise you
    specifically. As far as disabling extensions:

    Tools>>Extensions

    Right click on the extension, and you will see a disable option in the
    context menu.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 27, 2005
  11. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    > bgame63 wrote:
    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> May well be that extensions that are disabled can't be updated.
    >>>
    >>> Well, next step, in normal mode, disable your extensions one by one, and
    >>> see if FF will update.
    >>>
    >>> What extensions do you have installed?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> i have
    >> bandwidth tester ver 0.5.4
    >> i e view ver 1.2.5
    >> tabbrowser preferences ver 1.2.8.5
    >> pdf downl;oad ver 0.5.1.2
    >> tweak network ver 1.1
    >> roboform ver 6.4.2
    >> chatzilla 0.9.68.5.1
    >> and how do u disable them
    >> without uninstalling ?
    >> thank you for the help
    >> b game
    >>

    > Most of those extensions are ones I don't use, so I can't advise you
    > specifically. As far as disabling extensions:
    >
    > Tools>>Extensions
    >
    > Right click on the extension, and you will see a disable option in the
    > context menu.
    >
    > Lee

    sorry for the delay i disabled all extensions
    and still no updates
    any other ideas
    bgame

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Sep 29, 2005
  12. bgame63 wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> i have
    >>> bandwidth tester ver 0.5.4
    >>> i e view ver 1.2.5
    >>> tabbrowser preferences ver 1.2.8.5
    >>> pdf downl;oad ver 0.5.1.2
    >>> tweak network ver 1.1
    >>> roboform ver 6.4.2
    >>> chatzilla 0.9.68.5.1
    >>> and how do u disable them
    >>> without uninstalling ?
    >>> thank you for the help
    >>> b game
    >>>

    >> Most of those extensions are ones I don't use, so I can't advise you
    >> specifically. As far as disabling extensions:
    >>
    >> Tools>>Extensions
    >>
    >> Right click on the extension, and you will see a disable option in the
    >> context menu.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > sorry for the delay i disabled all extensions
    > and still no updates
    > any other ideas
    > bgame

    Create a new profile:

    To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe
    -p in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.

    Install a couple of extensions in the new profile, and see how the
    update function works.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 29, 2005
  13. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    > bgame63 wrote:
    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> Most of those extensions are ones I don't use, so I can't advise you
    >>> specifically. As far as disabling extensions:
    >>>
    >>> Tools>>Extensions
    >>>
    >>> Right click on the extension, and you will see a disable option in the
    >>> context menu.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> sorry for the delay i disabled all extensions
    >> and still no updates
    >> any other ideas
    >> bgame
    >>

    > Create a new profile:
    >
    > To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe -p
    > in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.
    >
    > Install a couple of extensions in the new profile, and see how the update
    > function works.
    >
    > Lee

    ok made a new profile and the update works
    hmmm
    are the profiles editable?
    and where would this be ?

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Oct 1, 2005
  14. bgame63 wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> sorry for the delay i disabled all extensions
    >>> and still no updates
    >>> any other ideas
    >>> bgame
    >>>

    >> Create a new profile:
    >>
    >> To open Firefox's Profile Manager, click Start>>>Run, type firefox.exe -p
    >> in the field, and click OK. Note the space after exe, it is important.
    >>
    >> Install a couple of extensions in the new profile, and see how the update
    >> function works.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > ok made a new profile and the update works
    > hmmm
    > are the profiles editable?
    > and where would this be ?

    I'm glad we are making progress.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "editable". I'm guessing that you want to
    transfer data from the old profile to the new. Being browser only,
    that's pretty simple, pretty much just bookmarks and passwords. See
    Irwin Greenwald's Profiles help page for directions on transferring
    profile data:

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html#copying

    You can disregard directions about mail accounts, of course.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 2, 2005
  15. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    no i would like to know if the profile is editable
    so i can fix this problem or how can i transfer all my settings over
    i cant remeber how i set up my main window with the
    addy bar under the icons <smacks himself in head >
    and ty again for all the help
    bgame

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Oct 2, 2005
  16. bgame63 wrote:
    > no i would like to know if the profile is editable
    > so i can fix this problem or how can i transfer all my settings over
    > i cant remeber how i set up my main window with the
    > addy bar under the icons <smacks himself in head >
    > and ty again for all the help
    > bgame

    Please quote at least some relevant material to give your post context.
    I almost passed right by this one, since I didn't know what you were
    talking about.

    I don't mean to be unkind, but I look at hundreds of support posts in a
    day in various groups and forums, and it is sometimes difficult to keep
    them straight.

    I'm still of a mind that there is a bad extension installed that is
    interfering with the updater. Unfortunately we went through the
    procedures of checking that, Safe Mode, disabling extensions, etc., and
    we came up empty.

    In this kind of situation it is often easier to transfer your important
    data to the new profile, and then rebuild things. Its a pain, but it
    will probably be less time consuming then trying to track down your problem.

    One last attempt though Instead of disabling extensions, remove them.
    Do so one by one, and test the updater. That;s a pain too, since you
    have to keep opening and closing FF, but you should get to the point
    where the updater works. If it still won't work, well, transfer data to
    the new profile, and get back to the internet.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 2, 2005
  17. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    > bgame63 wrote:
    >> no i would like to know if the profile is editable
    >> so i can fix this problem or how can i transfer all my settings over
    >> i cant remeber how i set up my main window with the
    >> addy bar under the icons <smacks himself in head >
    >> and ty again for all the help
    >> bgame
    >>

    > Please quote at least some relevant material to give your post context. I
    > almost passed right by this one, since I didn't know what you were talking
    > about.
    >
    > I don't mean to be unkind, but I look at hundreds of support posts in a
    > day in various groups and forums, and it is sometimes difficult to keep
    > them straight.
    >
    > I'm still of a mind that there is a bad extension installed that is
    > interfering with the updater. Unfortunately we went through the
    > procedures of checking that, Safe Mode, disabling extensions, etc., and we
    > came up empty.
    >
    > In this kind of situation it is often easier to transfer your important
    > data to the new profile, and then rebuild things. Its a pain, but it will
    > probably be less time consuming then trying to track down your problem.
    >
    > One last attempt though Instead of disabling extensions, remove them. Do
    > so one by one, and test the updater. That;s a pain too, since you have to
    > keep opening and closing FF, but you should get to the point where the
    > updater works. If it still won't work, well, transfer data to the new
    > profile, and get back to the internet.
    >
    > Lee

    ok question how do i get the address bar under the
    bar with the icons ?

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Oct 3, 2005
  18. bgame63 wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> no i would like to know if the profile is editable
    >>> so i can fix this problem or how can i transfer all my settings over
    >>> i cant remeber how i set up my main window with the
    >>> addy bar under the icons <smacks himself in head >
    >>> and ty again for all the help
    >>> bgame
    >>>

    >> Please quote at least some relevant material to give your post context. I
    >> almost passed right by this one, since I didn't know what you were talking
    >> about.
    >>
    >> I don't mean to be unkind, but I look at hundreds of support posts in a
    >> day in various groups and forums, and it is sometimes difficult to keep
    >> them straight.
    >>
    >> I'm still of a mind that there is a bad extension installed that is
    >> interfering with the updater. Unfortunately we went through the
    >> procedures of checking that, Safe Mode, disabling extensions, etc., and we
    >> came up empty.
    >>
    >> In this kind of situation it is often easier to transfer your important
    >> data to the new profile, and then rebuild things. Its a pain, but it will
    >> probably be less time consuming then trying to track down your problem.
    >>
    >> One last attempt though Instead of disabling extensions, remove them. Do
    >> so one by one, and test the updater. That;s a pain too, since you have to
    >> keep opening and closing FF, but you should get to the point where the
    >> updater works. If it still won't work, well, transfer data to the new
    >> profile, and get back to the internet.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > ok question how do i get the address bar under the
    > bar with the icons ?

    View>>Toolbars>>Customize

    When the Customize dialog window is open, you can drag the location bar
    anywhere you want it to be.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 3, 2005
  19. bgame63

    bgame63 Guest

    > bgame63 wrote:
    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Please quote at least some relevant material to give your post context.
    >>> I almost passed right by this one, since I didn't know what you were
    >>> talking about.
    >>>
    >>> I don't mean to be unkind, but I look at hundreds of support posts in a
    >>> day in various groups and forums, and it is sometimes difficult to keep
    >>> them straight.
    >>>
    >>> I'm still of a mind that there is a bad extension installed that is
    >>> interfering with the updater. Unfortunately we went through the
    >>> procedures of checking that, Safe Mode, disabling extensions, etc., and
    >>> we came up empty.
    >>>
    >>> In this kind of situation it is often easier to transfer your important
    >>> data to the new profile, and then rebuild things. Its a pain, but it
    >>> will probably be less time consuming then trying to track down your
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> One last attempt though Instead of disabling extensions, remove them.
    >>> Do so one by one, and test the updater. That;s a pain too, since you
    >>> have to keep opening and closing FF, but you should get to the point
    >>> where the updater works. If it still won't work, well, transfer data to
    >>> the new profile, and get back to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> ok question how do i get the address bar under the
    >> bar with the icons ?
    >>

    > View>>Toolbars>>Customize
    >
    > When the Customize dialog window is open, you can drag the location bar
    > anywhere you want it to be.
    >
    > Lee

    tyvm i got it where i want it now got
    all my favs imported
    if i have any mire ?,s
    i'll be back
    ty again
    bgame

    http://www.usenet.com

    bgame63, Oct 3, 2005
  20. bgame63 wrote:
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> bgame63 wrote:
    >>> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> ok question how do i get the address bar under the
    >>> bar with the icons ?
    >>>

    >> View>>Toolbars>>Customize
    >>
    >> When the Customize dialog window is open, you can drag the location bar
    >> anywhere you want it to be.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > tyvm i got it where i want it now got
    > all my favs imported