    deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 8, 2010

  2. Geopelia

    Ted Guest

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 02:36:05 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    >icons into three lines.
    >I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as it
    >was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    >something.
    >
    >How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    >deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    >Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.

    Try righ-clicking on the toolbar. If the "Lock the Toolbar" item is
    ticked, untick it. You should then be able to drag the bar back to
    its' proper size. Then lock it.
    Ted, Oct 8, 2010

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Ted" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 02:36:05 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    >>icons into three lines.
    >>I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as
    >>it
    >>was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    >>something.
    >>
    >>How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    >>deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    >>Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.

    > Try righ-clicking on the toolbar. If the "Lock the Toolbar" item is
    > ticked, untick it. You should then be able to drag the bar back to
    > its' proper size. Then lock it.

    Thank you.
    I tried that, I can make the bar a bit smaller but it doesn't put the tray
    icons into a line as they used to be. They are still bunched up in three
    lines, and the items beside start are in two lines.
    Geopelia, Oct 8, 2010
  4. Geopelia

    Ted Guest

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:27:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ted" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 02:36:05 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    >>>icons into three lines.
    >>>I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as
    >>>it
    >>>was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    >>>something.
    >>>
    >>>How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    >>>deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    >>>Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.

    >> Try righ-clicking on the toolbar. If the "Lock the Toolbar" item is
    >> ticked, untick it. You should then be able to drag the bar back to
    >> its' proper size. Then lock it.
    >>

    >Thank you.
    >I tried that, I can make the bar a bit smaller but it doesn't put the tray
    >icons into a line as they used to be. They are still bunched up in three
    >lines, and the items beside start are in two lines.

    Unlock the bar again. You should then see a faint vertical line on
    the right of the tray icons. Try dragging this line to the right.
    Ted, Oct 8, 2010
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Ted" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:27:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Ted" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try righ-clicking on the toolbar. If the "Lock the Toolbar" item is
    >>> ticked, untick it. You should then be able to drag the bar back to
    >>> its' proper size. Then lock it.
    >>>

    >>Thank you.
    >>I tried that, I can make the bar a bit smaller but it doesn't put the tray
    >>icons into a line as they used to be. They are still bunched up in three
    >>lines, and the items beside start are in two lines.

    > Unlock the bar again. You should then see a faint vertical line on
    > the right of the tray icons. Try dragging this line to the right.

    In the previous view there used to be vertical lines. There are none visible
    in the view now.

    Geopelia, Oct 8, 2010
  6. Geopelia

    Ted Guest

    On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 10:19:39 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ted" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:27:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Ted" <> wrote in message

    >>>Thank you.
    >>>I tried that, I can make the bar a bit smaller but it doesn't put the tray
    >>>icons into a line as they used to be. They are still bunched up in three
    >>>lines, and the items beside start are in two lines.

    >> Unlock the bar again. You should then see a faint vertical line on
    >> the right of the tray icons. Try dragging this line to the right.

    >In the previous view there used to be vertical lines. There are none visible
    >in the view now.

    Right-click on the bar, select "Properties", and try "Hide Inactive
    Icons". You could also try turning off "Shoq Quick Launch". Then
    unlock the bar and see if you can drag things around
    Ted, Oct 9, 2010
  7. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 9/10/2010 2:36 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    > icons into three lines.
    > I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as it
    > was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    > something.
    >
    > How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    > deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    > Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.

    I have my taskbar 3 lines high so that things dont unnessacarily group,
    in 7 the buttons are much taller which sucks compared to XP. If I had it
    one icon high, the tray would take up half the screen.

    Thats why I hate the general dumbing down of screens with less and less
    vertical resolution on newer machines.
    Richard, Oct 9, 2010
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > On 9/10/2010 2:36 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    >> The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    >> icons into three lines.
    >> I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as
    >> it
    >> was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    >> something.
    >>
    >> How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    >> deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    >> Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.
    >>

    > I have my taskbar 3 lines high so that things dont unnessacarily group, in
    > 7 the buttons are much taller which sucks compared to XP. If I had it one
    > icon high, the tray would take up half the screen.
    >
    > Thats why I hate the general dumbing down of screens with less and less
    > vertical resolution on newer machines.

    I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be no
    way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even looked
    in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody else ever
    has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even mention of the
    problem.

    I thought it would be just a one click fix, but it seems it must be
    something very complicated.
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2010
  9. Geopelia

    Jonno Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> On 9/10/2010 2:36 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    >>> The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    >>> icons into three lines.
    >>> I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as
    >>> it
    >>> was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    >>> something.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    >>> deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    >>> Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.
    >>>

    >> I have my taskbar 3 lines high so that things dont unnessacarily group,
    >> in 7 the buttons are much taller which sucks compared to XP. If I had it
    >> one icon high, the tray would take up half the screen.
    >>
    >> Thats why I hate the general dumbing down of screens with less and less
    >> vertical resolution on newer machines.

    > I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be no
    > way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even
    > looked in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody
    > else ever has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even
    > mention of the problem.
    >
    > I thought it would be just a one click fix, but it seems it must be
    > something very complicated.

    Try this Geop.
    Right click on a blank part of the toolbar (Taskbar).
    In the pop-up menu that appears, see if there is a tick beside the item
    "Lock the Taskbar"
    If there is, left click it to remove the tick and unlock the taskbar.
    If there isn't, it is already unlocked
    Now run the mouse cursor arrow over the top line of the Taskbar. The cursor
    should change to a double ended arrow.
    With the double ended arrow showing, hold the left mouse button down and
    drag the top of the Taskbar down so that it becomes only one line.
    You may have to fiddle a bit here until the cursor grabs the top line and
    drags it down. It doesn't always do it on the first attempt
    Right click the Taskbar again and left click the item "Lock the Taskbar" on
    the menu to re-lock the Taskbar. There should now be a tick beside it.
    Hope that works.

    Jonno
    Jonno, Oct 10, 2010
  10. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 10/10/10 16:19, Geopelia wrote:

    > I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to
    > be no way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and
    > even looked in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it
    > seems nobody else ever has this problem, from the absence of any
    > solution, or even mention of the problem.
    >
    > I thought it would be just a one click fix, but it seems it must be
    > something very complicated.

    Geo, if the toolbar is not locked, try hovering your cursor at the top
    of the bar until it turns into a double headed arrow then click and drag
    it down. See if that works.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Oct 10, 2010
  11. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <i8rbc0$g1g$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > On 9/10/2010 2:36 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > >> The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    > >> icons into three lines.
    > >> I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as
    > >> it
    > >> was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    > >> something.
    > >>
    > >> How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    > >> deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    > >> Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.
    > >>

    > > I have my taskbar 3 lines high so that things dont unnessacarily group, in
    > > 7 the buttons are much taller which sucks compared to XP. If I had it one
    > > icon high, the tray would take up half the screen.
    > >
    > > Thats why I hate the general dumbing down of screens with less and less
    > > vertical resolution on newer machines.

    > I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be no
    > way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even looked
    > in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody else ever
    > has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even mention of the
    > problem.
    >
    > I thought it would be just a one click fix, but it seems it must be
    > something very complicated.

    It is not a Windows XP problem - so you won't find any solutions there.
    It's a PEBKAC problem unfortunately :)

    I see three others have given you some guff to check - but I don't know
    if it will help. What I think you may have done, is inadvertently turn
    on another toolbar - thereby forcing it to two lines (or more).

    If you right-click on a *blank* part of the Taskbar, and hover over the
    Toolbars menu at the top of the menu that pops up, how many toolbars do
    you see ticked (On)? If there are ones that are On, and you think they
    shouldn't be, untick them.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 10, 2010
  12. Geopelia

    Ted Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:19:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be no
    >way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even looked
    >in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody else ever
    >has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even mention of the
    >problem.

    Other people definitely have had the problem, enough of them so that
    software has been written to correct it. If all else fails, try
    downloading the free "Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!" from

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71397/description.html

    It successfully fixed a taskbar problem I had a while back (it's too
    long ago for me to remember exactly what the problem was, but it was
    something like what you describe).
    Ted, Oct 10, 2010
  13. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <i8rbc0$g1g$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > On 9/10/2010 2:36 a.m., Geopelia wrote:
    > >> The Start toolbar has suddenly doubled in depth and bunched all the tray
    > >> icons into three lines.
    > >> I've found a lot about toolbars, but can't see any way to put it back as
    > >> it
    > >> was. I don't know why it happened, I may have accidentally touched
    > >> something.
    > >>
    > >> How do I get it back into just one line please? It's a nuisance being so
    > >> deep as it covers things at the bottom of the screen.
    > >> Dragging things doesn't seem to work. I restarted but that didn't work.
    > >>

    > > I have my taskbar 3 lines high so that things dont unnessacarily group, in
    > > 7 the buttons are much taller which sucks compared to XP. If I had it one
    > > icon high, the tray would take up half the screen.
    > >
    > > Thats why I hate the general dumbing down of screens with less and less
    > > vertical resolution on newer machines.

    > I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be no
    > way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even looked
    > in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody else ever
    > has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even mention of the
    > problem.
    >
    > I thought it would be just a one click fix, but it seems it must be
    > something very complicated.

    PS: I don't think you googled very hard - I quickly found these pages
    that may help (with pictures!) :)

    http://www.coolnerds.com/XP/Taskbar/xpTaskbar.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279774

    http://www.timeatlas.com/5
    _minute_tips/general/how_to_resize_or_move_windows_taskbar

    (http://tinyurl.com/22lmxsl)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 10, 2010
  14. Geopelia

    John Little Guest

    and Ted said:
    > Other people definitely have had the problem...

    Yup, It's happened to me several times over the years, though I don't
    use XP much these days. The last time it happened (on my sister's
    machine) I had to disable the Quick Launch toolbar, move the task list
    about a bit, resize the task bar, then re-enable Quick Launch.

    Dave said:
    >It's a PEBKAC problem...

    I disagree. It definitely gets into an invalid state sometimes.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Oct 10, 2010
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    --------------------------

    > http://www.timeatlas.com/5
    > _minute_tips/general/how_to_resize_or_move_windows_taskbar

    That fixed it. "Productivity Portfolio". The picture of 'This is where you
    should click' did it.

    Now the Taskbar is back as it was and I've locked it.

    I've put the website in Favourites in case it happens again.

    Your help is much appreciated.

    Geopelia

    -------------------------------------

    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2010
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <i8rbc0$g1g$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >> > I have my taskbar 3 lines high so that things dont unnessacarily group,
    >> > in
    >> > 7 the buttons are much taller which sucks compared to XP. If I had it
    >> > one
    >> > icon high, the tray would take up half the screen.
    >> >
    >> > Thats why I hate the general dumbing down of screens with less and less
    >> > vertical resolution on newer machines.

    >> I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be
    >> no
    >> way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even
    >> looked
    >> in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody else
    >> ever
    >> has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even mention of
    >> the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I thought it would be just a one click fix, but it seems it must be
    >> something very complicated.

    > It is not a Windows XP problem - so you won't find any solutions there.
    > It's a PEBKAC problem unfortunately :)
    >
    > I see three others have given you some guff to check - but I don't know
    > if it will help. What I think you may have done, is inadvertently turn
    > on another toolbar - thereby forcing it to two lines (or more).
    >
    > If you right-click on a *blank* part of the Taskbar, and hover over the
    > Toolbars menu at the top of the menu that pops up, how many toolbars do
    > you see ticked (On)? If there are ones that are On, and you think they
    > shouldn't be, untick them.

    The solution in your following email fixed it. I've replied there.

    Many thnaks.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2010
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Jonno" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have my taskbar 3 lines high so that things dont unnessacarily group,
    >>> in 7 the buttons are much taller which sucks compared to XP. If I had it
    >>> one icon high, the tray would take up half the screen.
    >>>
    >>> Thats why I hate the general dumbing down of screens with less and less
    >>> vertical resolution on newer machines.

    >> I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be
    >> no way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even
    >> looked in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody
    >> else ever has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even
    >> mention of the problem.
    >>
    >> I thought it would be just a one click fix, but it seems it must be
    >> something very complicated.
    >>

    > Try this Geop.
    > Right click on a blank part of the toolbar (Taskbar).
    > In the pop-up menu that appears, see if there is a tick beside the item
    > "Lock the Taskbar"
    > If there is, left click it to remove the tick and unlock the taskbar.
    > If there isn't, it is already unlocked
    > Now run the mouse cursor arrow over the top line of the Taskbar. The
    > cursor should change to a double ended arrow.
    > With the double ended arrow showing, hold the left mouse button down and
    > drag the top of the Taskbar down so that it becomes only one line.
    > You may have to fiddle a bit here until the cursor grabs the top line and
    > drags it down. It doesn't always do it on the first attempt
    > Right click the Taskbar again and left click the item "Lock the Taskbar"
    > on the menu to re-lock the Taskbar. There should now be a tick beside it.
    > Hope that works.
    >
    > Jonno

    That didn't work until I found the right place to click from a picture in
    another reply.

    it's now in the right place again.
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2010
  18. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Ted" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:19:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I just want it as it was before, all on one line. But there seems to be no
    >>way to get it back. I've clicked everything I can think of, and even
    >>looked
    >>in a Troubleshooter book put out by Consumer, but it seems nobody else
    >>ever
    >>has this problem, from the absence of any solution, or even mention of the
    >>problem.
    >>

    > Other people definitely have had the problem, enough of them so that
    > software has been written to correct it. If all else fails, try
    > downloading the free "Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!" from
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71397/description.html
    >

    > It successfully fixed a taskbar problem I had a while back (it's too
    > long ago for me to remember exactly what the problem was, but it was
    > something like what you describe).

    Thanks, but I've got it fixed now from a later post.
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2010
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thanks to all, the problem is now fixed and I've locked the taskbar.
    Geopelia, Oct 10, 2010
  20. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <e21de755-159b-4b6c-b3c0-
    >,
    says...

    > On Oct 10, 6:40 pm, Ted <> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:19:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >... it seems nobody else ever has this problem...

    > and Ted said:
    > > Other people definitely have had the problem...

    > Yup, It's happened to me several times over the years, though I don't
    > use XP much these days. The last time it happened (on my sister's
    > machine) I had to disable the Quick Launch toolbar, move the task list
    > about a bit, resize the task bar, then re-enable Quick Launch.
    >
    > Dave said:
    > >It's a PEBKAC problem...

    > I disagree. It definitely gets into an invalid state sometimes.

    Well can you provide some evidence?

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Oct 10, 2010