    16-bit TIFF images (or which tool allows opening 12-bit TIFF images
    correctly and saving as 16-bit TIFF images)?

    Peter
    Peter Frank, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Peter Frank

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Peter Frank

    >I have some pictures taken by a CCD camera that are 12-bit TIFF
    >images. Photoshop (7.0) - even tough it opens them without an error
    >message - obviously cannot handle these properly as all images appear
    >totally black.

    Photoshop 7 can indeed open 12 bit tiff files (in 16 bit mode) ... there is
    something else wrong.

    >However, AFAIK Photoshop *can* handle 16-bit TIFF images, so what I
    >want to do is convert the 12-bit TIFF images to 16-bit TIFF images.

    10, 12, 14 and 16 bit/channel files are ALL saved in 16 bit format (ie, double
    the size of 8 bit files but with zeros in the unused bits) and open in
    Photoshop in 16 bit mode just fine. You do not need to "convert" these files
    to 16 bits.

    Dunno why they open "totally black" but it's not because they are 12
    bits/channel ... I open 12 bit/channel files in Photoshop all the time from my
    film scanner and from Canon digital cameras and they are fine.
    Bill Hilton, Dec 10, 2004

  3. Peter Frank

    RSD99 Guest

    Do the images open properly with IrfanView?
    http://www.irfanview.com/main_start_engl.htm

    RSD99, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Peter Frank

    Tony Guest

    Photoshop does the converting internally, there is soe other problem. Have
    you tried opening them in some other program?

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Peter Frank

    Peter Frank Guest

    Peter Frank, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Peter Frank

    Peter Frank Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote:

    >Photoshop does the converting internally, there is soe other problem. Have
    >you tried opening them in some other program?

    Yes, I did. IrfanView and ThumbsPlus open and display them correctly.
    Kodak Imaging for Windows doesn't.

    Peter
    Peter Frank, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Peter Frank

    Tony Guest

    It sounds like there has to be something non-standard in the tiffs that
    some programs can read and others can't. Have you tried emailing Adobe with
    the model number of your camera to see if it is a known incompatibility?
    You might check with customer service for the camera company too.

    Tony, Dec 11, 2004
  8. Peter Frank

    RSD99 Guest

    Another program that works quite well with 16 bit images is Picture Window
    (including the "Pro" version). The author has stated something like "all
    operations are internally 16-bit," but I don't specifically know if it will
    open your 12 bit images. It is a full featured photographer's image editor,
    and might be worth a try. I think that they have trial version(s), and the
    total cost of the program is reasonable.

    http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/

    RSD99, Dec 11, 2004
  9. Peter Frank

    Peter Frank Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote:

    > It sounds like there has to be something non-standard in the tiffs that
    >some programs can read and others can't.

    Problem solved. It was something I really could have thought of. For
    some reason, the standard settings of contrast/brightness in Photoshop
    were inappropriate for these images. By changing these settings, the
    images became visible. I just didn't think of this in the first place
    because IrfanView displayed them correctly without the need of any
    manual adjustments. Anyway, everything is OK now.

    Thanks to everyone for your help.

    Peter
    Peter Frank, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Peter Frank

    Chris Cox Guest

    TIFF can store real, 12 bit/channel images (some scientific cameras use
    this).
    But Photoshop 7 (and CS) don't read that format.

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Dec 13, 2004
  11. Peter Frank

    Chris Cox Guest

    Or sending Adobe a sample file so they can figure out what's going on?
    (er, why do I talk about myself in the third person like this?)

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Dec 13, 2004
  12. Peter Frank

    Chris Cox Guest

    That sounds like the data in the files is mis-scaled (old LEAF cameras
    did that for a while).

    Chris

    Chris Cox, Dec 13, 2004