    snow itself was reflecting some thing...but the camera didn't seem to pick
    it up.

    http://www.photopiks.com/pics/
    Guest, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Guest

    Pete D Guest

    Ah yes the D70, oversaturated by default, Photoshop is your friend or adjust
    in camera, snow is always a problem, take a few testers then try manual.

    Pete D, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ya know, I selected VIVID which maybe I shouldn't have. Maybe I should have
    just let it be at default. I have Photoshop version 7 and several other
    image editing software. Photoshop being the most powerful. I've always used
    Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, since it has always been easy to use and doesn't take
    as many resources.

    When I was taking the pictures today, the glare off the LCD screen was
    ridiculous. Picture re-viewing couldn't happen...so I never knew what kind
    of images were being captured. I guess a professional would have known
    without looking. :)

    Guest, Feb 6, 2005
  4. Guest

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > I took some pictures today. Captured them in RAW format then had to of
    > course compress them to put them online. I selected "vivid" image

    filtering
    > through the camera's settings. Well, some just don't look "normal" to
    > me...almost too sharp. Maybe I should have softened them up a little?

    If you're capturing them RAW, then you should be able to do the color
    correction, sharpening, etc. in your image editing program - don't rely on
    the camera's preset modes to accomplish the task.

    > Anyway...let me have the bad news please. I need it. I have a new Nikon

    D70
    > and shot them in P mode making minor changes. The last 6 came out real

    dark
    > for some reason, even though my eyes indicated it was very bright. Heck,

    the
    > snow itself was reflecting some thing...but the camera didn't seem to pick
    > it up.

    Shooting snowy scenes with automatic metering tends to do that. Here's
    why:

    The automatic metering in a camera tends to look at the high, lows, and
    mids of a scene, and try to balance for everything. They'll usually try to
    make the sum of highs, mids, and lows add up to an even, moderate gray.
    When your scene is snowy and brightly lit, nearly everything is very
    bright - and in an attempt to make everything add up to a moderate gray, the
    camera will usually underexpose most of the scene. Even if your camera is a
    bit more intelligent, in a bright, snowy scene, a great deal of the scene
    gets "blown out", and the camera will assume that it's overexposing - or at
    leat try to keep from blowing so much out.

    You can use levels or curves to correct the balance, and make the picture
    look relatively decent. Of course, that DOES cut into your dynamic range:
    So while it works, and will produce a relatively acceptable photo, it's not
    ideal. If you're in a hurry and/or the photo isn't destined for the art
    gallery, fix it later. If you're trying to get the best shot possible (or
    just have the time), use manual mode or exposure compensation to increase
    the exposure by a little bit.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Guest

    Ubiquitous Guest

    wrote:
    > Ya know, I selected VIVID which maybe I shouldn't have. Maybe I should have
    > just let it be at default. I have Photoshop version 7 and several other
    > image editing software. Photoshop being the most powerful. I've always used
    > Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, since it has always been easy to use and doesn't take
    > as many resources.
    >
    > When I was taking the pictures today, the glare off the LCD screen was
    > ridiculous. Picture re-viewing couldn't happen...so I never knew what kind
    > of images were being captured. I guess a professional would have known
    > without looking. :)

    I don't know for sure with D70s as I own a Canon 10D, but the whole
    point of capturing in raw is that all the processing of the image is
    done AFTERWARDS. In other words, the settings you used on camera have
    absolutely no bearing on the RAW file itself. You didn't say what
    program you used to process the RAW files but I'm assuming you used
    Photoshop's RAW plugin. That uses the camera's settings by default but
    it gives you full control over whether you want to overide what was set
    by the camera, or not.

    My point is, when you're capturing with RAW, the settings (aside from
    exposure settings like aperture, ISO and shutter speed, obviously) have
    nothing to do with what is captured in the RAW file. You can make a
    photo look however you want it to look using the RAW processor.
    Ubiquitous, Feb 6, 2005
  6. Guest

    Pete D Guest

    "Ubiquitous" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> Ya know, I selected VIVID which maybe I shouldn't have. Maybe I should
    >> have just let it be at default. I have Photoshop version 7 and several
    >> other image editing software. Photoshop being the most powerful. I've
    >> always used Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, since it has always been easy to use
    >> and doesn't take as many resources.
    >>
    >> When I was taking the pictures today, the glare off the LCD screen was
    >> ridiculous. Picture re-viewing couldn't happen...so I never knew what
    >> kind of images were being captured. I guess a professional would have
    >> known without looking. :)

    > I don't know for sure with D70s as I own a Canon 10D, but the whole point
    > of capturing in raw is that all the processing of the image is done
    > AFTERWARDS. In other words, the settings you used on camera have
    > absolutely no bearing on the RAW file itself. You didn't say what program
    > you used to process the RAW files but I'm assuming you used Photoshop's
    > RAW plugin. That uses the camera's settings by default but it gives you
    > full control over whether you want to overide what was set by the camera,
    > or not.
    >
    > My point is, when you're capturing with RAW, the settings (aside from
    > exposure settings like aperture, ISO and shutter speed, obviously) have
    > nothing to do with what is captured in the RAW file. You can make a photo
    > look however you want it to look using the RAW processor.

    Of course you are correct, as I said though manual is your friend and as
    another poster said, exposure compensation should help.
    Pete D, Feb 6, 2005
  7. Guest

    rafe bustin Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 02:45:33 -0500, <> wrote:

    >I took some pictures today. Captured them in RAW format then had to of
    >course compress them to put them online. I selected "vivid" image filtering
    >through the camera's settings. Well, some just don't look "normal" to
    >me...almost too sharp. Maybe I should have softened them up a little?
    >Anyway...let me have the bad news please. I need it. I have a new Nikon D70
    >and shot them in P mode making minor changes. The last 6 came out real dark
    >for some reason, even though my eyes indicated it was very bright. Heck, the
    >snow itself was reflecting some thing...but the camera didn't seem to pick
    >it up.
    >
    >http://www.photopiks.com/pics/

    Things like saturation, white point, sharpening,
    etc can be changed and "fixed up" in the RAW
    converter... but of course the original exposure
    must be pretty much correct, ie., no pixels off-
    scale at either end.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafe bustin, Feb 6, 2005
  8. Guest

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > I took some pictures today. Captured them in RAW format then had to of
    > course compress them to put them online. I selected "vivid" image filtering
    > through the camera's settings. Well, some just don't look "normal" to
    > me...almost too sharp. Maybe I should have softened them up a little?
    > Anyway...let me have the bad news please. I need it. I have a new Nikon D70
    > and shot them in P mode making minor changes. The last 6 came out real dark
    > for some reason, even though my eyes indicated it was very bright. Heck, the
    > snow itself was reflecting some thing...but the camera didn't seem to pick
    > it up.
    >
    > http://www.photopiks.com/pics/

    Bright snow, and bright sun can give automatic metering trouble. It
    appears that you need to switch to spot metering for this type of picture.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Feb 6, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    My mistake for sure. I used Nikon's own "PictureIt" to export all the images
    to JPG format. I didn't use Photoshop this time yet. Since I used Nikon's
    own software, I would assume the images were exported with the camera
    setting, "vivid". Next time, and there will be many...I will use Photoshop
    to make the images look visually better. Beauty is in the eye of the
    beholder...but when some thing just looks bad a lot of people agree.

    Guest, Feb 6, 2005
  10. Guest

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:10:15 -0500, in rec.photo.digital
    <> wrote:

    >My mistake for sure. I used Nikon's own "PictureIt" to export all the images
    >to JPG format.

    I think you mean Picture Project, no?

    > I didn't use Photoshop this time yet. Since I used Nikon's
    >own software, I would assume the images were exported with the camera
    >setting, "vivid".

    Since I punted PP within 30min of installing it and went back to Nikon View
    before moving up the Capture I can't be sure, but you should have the
    option of changing the settings, no? If you made no changes then yes, it
    should have used the as taken camera settings. If however that is all you
    are going to do, there really isn't any advantage to saving to NEF in the
    first place.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf, Feb 6, 2005
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I went back out to take some pictures with the snow in them and I did use
    exposure compensation which worked quite well. Just a few adjustments with
    it brightened up the whole image.

    Guest, Feb 6, 2005