Too Vulnerable

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by archierob, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. archierob

    archierob Guest

    PROBLEM

    My pal who owns a printing shop has all his reproduction machines hard wired
    up to 1 computer. As this recent virus attack proved he is far too
    vulnerable and it has caused him/me much grief. All is well now thanks to
    Stinger and patch.

    He has 3 identical spec comps performing various functions only 1 is wired
    up to machines. The people that downloaded the various progs to control
    these printing machines charged him loadsa cash to install them - the less
    YOU know the more THEY charge!. He has a 250 meg zip drive attached to the
    comp also.

    QUESTION

    What would be the best plan for getting all the relevant stuff that drives
    and controls those reproduction machines on to a zip disk so they can also
    be downloaded to the 2 other comps.

    Where exactly do I look for all this stuff? What exactly should I copy?

    Thanks in advance.

    archierob, Sep 4, 2003

  2. archierob

    Alan Guest

    If the drivers and things are installed then you may have problems. Perhaps
    something like Ghost - you could create an image of the current machine and
    replicate it on the other two. Good for restores in the future too.

    I'd put a link in but the Norton site seems to be down. Try starting here
    http://www.norton.com/ and having a look.

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 4, 2003

  3. archierob

    stumped Guest

    The august APC magazine has a utility on cd1 that extracts all drivers on a
    windows PC to any destination. The result is a folder with sub folders for
    each driver. This includes printer drivers.
    Excellent tool for the price of a mag.

    stumped, Sep 4, 2003
  4. archierob

    bt Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:19:36 +1200, "stumped" <> wrote:

    >The august APC magazine has a utility on cd1 that extracts all drivers on a
    >windows PC to any destination. The result is a folder with sub folders for
    >each driver. This includes printer drivers.
    >Excellent tool for the price of a mag.

    Cool.

    What is the name of the tool, does it have a web site, etc ?

    Any chance of a copy ?

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Sep 5, 2003
  5. archierob

    stumped Guest

    http://www.jermar.com/

    Last utility on first page.

    stumped, Sep 5, 2003
  6. archierob

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:16:09 +1200, "stumped" <> wrote:

    >http://www.jermar.com/
    >
    >Last utility on first page.

    It's an excellent utility too, I've used it a number of times.
    However it doesn't appear to work with Windows 95. Also be aware that it only
    backs up the actual drivers, not any extra software utilities that might have
    been installed along with the drivers.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Sep 5, 2003