    defect in it.

    Any thoughts?

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Nov 22, 2003

  2. mark  mandel

    Isildur Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in message
    news:kOKvb.9418$...
    > On a PC I've just recently built that has a multi boot system(Win 98 and
    > XP), it wouldn't boot into 98 and I heard what I suspected was the

    spinning
    > sound of the hard drive. This hard drive I had in my other PC when
    > previously I had used it to "ghost" a backup image from the Win 98; I was
    > only able to do this in the old PC because that was where I originally
    > created the backup. The backup failed when I tried doing it in the new

    PC.

    > Anyways, after hearing this sound, I disconnected both the power cable and
    > ribbon from the hard drive, reconnected and all went fine. But I wondered
    > whether this was too simple a solution and if in fact the hard drive has a
    > defect in it.

    I have a similar problem with a maxtor, it'd make a 'mechanical click' noise
    now and then, and halt/stall, though this happened with another maxtor which
    is fine in another pc, which is weird. I'm at a loss as this one is brand
    new, i've put a western digital in, and that thus far runs without a flaw.
    I did the same as you at first, and unplugging would resolve it for a time,
    then it'd re appear

    Isildur, Nov 23, 2003

  3. mark  mandel

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:30:59 +0000 (UTC), "Isildur"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a similar problem with a maxtor, it'd make a 'mechanical click' noise
    >now and then, and halt/stall, though this happened with another maxtor which
    >is fine in another pc, which is weird. I'm at a loss as this one is brand
    >new, i've put a western digital in, and that thus far runs without a flaw.
    >I did the same as you at first, and unplugging would resolve it for a time,
    >then it'd re appear

    You may have a bad cable...either power or data.

    Try plugging a different power lead into the hard drive.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 26, 2003