Too Much Talent + Too Much Demand = ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 18, 2011.

  1. I’m having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
    trying to explain
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.
    Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
    over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
    too few recruiters?
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 18, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 18, 2:16 pm, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > >I’m having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
    > >trying to explain
    > ><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recru....>.
    > >Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
    > >over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
    > >too few recruiters?

    >
    > I read it earlier today and it was as clear as mud to me.
    > Tony


    I find there's a shortage of experienced, quality talent in the
    technical IT sector. At least in the ERP sphere I work in.
     
    JohnO, Feb 18, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ted Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:59:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >I’m having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
    >trying to explain
    ><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.
    >Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
    >over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
    >too few recruiters?


    Sounds like HR finding excuses for their own incompetence.
     
    Ted, Feb 18, 2011
    #3
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ted Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:50:50 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Ted <> wrote:
    >>On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:59:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I’m having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
    >>>trying to explain
    >>><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.
    >>>Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
    >>>over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
    >>>too few recruiters?

    >>
    >>Sounds like HR finding excuses for their own incompetence.

    >
    >Hmmmm. Modern management practice tends to using HR as consultants rather than
    >to do the hiring. People Managers should make the final decision.


    OK, so instead it sounds like the People Managers finding excuses for
    their own incompetence.
     
    Ted, Feb 18, 2011
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ted Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:44:32 +1300, Allistar <>
    wrote:

    >Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ted <> wrote:
    >>>>On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:50:50 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    >>>>dot nz> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>Ted <> wrote:
    >>>>>>On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:59:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>>>>><_zealand> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>>I?m having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item
    >>>>>>>is trying to explain
    >>>>>>><http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-

    >> recruiters-and-job-seekers/44998>.
    >>>>>>>Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers
    >>>>>>>being over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job?
    >>>>>>>Are there too few recruiters?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Sounds like HR finding excuses for their own incompetence.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Hmmmm. Modern management practice tends to using HR as consultants
    >>>>>rather than
    >>>>>to do the hiring. People Managers should make the final decision.
    >>>>
    >>>>OK, so instead it sounds like the People Managers finding excuses for
    >>>>their own incompetence.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, maybe so. I am firmly of the opinion that provided the applicant
    >>> tells the truth the employer has to accept a large part of the blame if
    >>> they employ the wrong people.

    >>
    >> Certain aspects of a candidates performance is difficult to tell ahead of
    >> time.


    The difficult area is where competence counts. A competent People
    Manager should get the answer right more often than not.

    > How they fit in with a team, how they work under pressure, what
    >> their problem solving skills are like. These are hard to gauge, especially
    >> since a) the candidate themselves will avoid saying things that make them
    >> look bad and b) I find in IT particularly written or even oral references
    >> are worth much.

    >
    >I mean "are not worth much". I have seen past employers give people glowing
    >references as a way to get rid of them.
     
    Ted, Feb 18, 2011
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 18/02/11 14:55, JohnO wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 2:16 pm, Tony<lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro<_zealand> wrote:
    >>> I’m having trouble understanding what exactly is the problem this item is
    >>> trying to explain
    >>> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/technology-job-boards-have-failed-recru...>.
    >>> Are there too few good candidates in the pool? Are potential employers being
    >>> over-selective? Are the recruiters simply not doing a good job? Are there
    >>> too few recruiters?

    >>
    >> I read it earlier today and it was as clear as mud to me.
    >> Tony

    >
    > I find there's a shortage of experienced, quality talent in the
    > technical IT sector. At least in the ERP sphere I work in.
    >

    Yes. There's a shortage of BAs and PMs and other similar roles. Testers?
    No one ever presents themselves as a tester.

    If you find a good PM hold onto him/her at all costs.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The ends justifies the means - Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli.

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
     
    Enkidu, Feb 18, 2011
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Super Talent PC2-6400 T800UX2GC4 DDR-2 Memory Review

    Silverstrand, Mar 5, 2006, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    787
    Silverstrand
    Mar 5, 2006
  2. Talent Search 2004...adv

    , Jan 7, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    433
  3. Crownfield

    Re: Model Talent Search - Free Portfolio - NJ NY PA

    Crownfield, Feb 1, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    557
    Crownfield
    Feb 1, 2004
  4. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,020
    Silverstrand
    Sep 15, 2006
  5. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    905
    Silverstrand
    Oct 9, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page