    --

    regards,
    4D

    Fourdogs, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Fourdogs

    °Mike° Guest

    Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
    and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:10:49 -0400, in
    <>
    Fourdogs scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
    > and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.
    >
    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:10:49 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Fourdogs scrawled:
    >
    > >After adding a second HD to my computer, I tried to re-enable Goback on
    > >the first drive. It said that I had to uninstall and reinstall goback
    > >because the configuration had changed. It uninstalled o.k., but now it
    > >will not reinstall because of "Other programs on your computer are
    > >causing excessive disk activity which is preventing GoBack from
    > >installing." I had turned off all in the tray and unplugged the
    > >ethernet cable. How can I find out what might be causing this "disk
    > >activity or close down anything that might be causing it"? TIA for any
    > >help offered.

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks Mike

    Already did that. There must be something running in the background
    that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
    don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?
    --

    regards,
    4D

    Fourdogs, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Fourdogs

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, in
    <>
    Fourdogs scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote:
    >>
    >> Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
    >> and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.

    <snip>

    >Thanks Mike
    >
    >Already did that. There must be something running in the background
    >that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
    >don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

    A program checking for updates wouldn't normally create
    "excessive disk activity".

    1. Have you disabled virus (boot sector) checking in the BIOS?
    2. How did you scan your system, and what with (exactly)?
    3. Were the scanners up to date (I mean TODAY)?
    4. Check my signature for startup locations, etc.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Fourdogs scrawled:
    >
    > >"°Mike°" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
    > >> and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.

    > <snip>
    >
    > >Thanks Mike
    > >
    > >Already did that. There must be something running in the background
    > >that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
    > >don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

    > A program checking for updates wouldn't normally create
    > "excessive disk activity".
    >
    > 1. Have you disabled virus (boot sector) checking in the BIOS?
    > 2. How did you scan your system, and what with (exactly)?
    > 3. Were the scanners up to date (I mean TODAY)?
    > 4. Check my signature for startup locations, etc.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Thanks again Mike,

    System was scanned with AdAware and spybot, updated today. Virus
    scanned with Norton AV Pro. Please tell me more about "disabled virus
    (boot sector) checking in the BIOS". I am not familiar with that or how
    to do it. Thanks again.
    --

    regards,
    4D

    Fourdogs, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Fourdogs

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:14:39 -0400, in
    <>
    Fourdogs scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Thanks again Mike,
    >
    >System was scanned with AdAware and spybot, updated today. Virus
    >scanned with Norton AV Pro. Please tell me more about "disabled virus
    >(boot sector) checking in the BIOS". I am not familiar with that or how
    >to do it. Thanks again.

    Check your motherboard manual to see if you have an option
    to protect your hard drive's boot record from viruses. Disable
    it, if you have -- the option will be self evident, once you
    are in the BIOS setup screen.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  7. On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, Fourdogs <nospam*@excite.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks Mike
    >
    >Already did that. There must be something running in the background
    >that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
    >don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

    I'm kinda guessing the software your going to have to disable is
    called Windows.... The only way your going to stop the disk activity
    is most likely by giving it enough memory to keep it from swapping to
    disk during the installation, that and by stopping any un-needed
    services that are waisting memory for no reason....

    John H. Guillory, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    "John H. Guillory" wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, Fourdogs <nospam*@excite.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks Mike
    > >
    > >Already did that. There must be something running in the background
    > >that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
    > >don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

    > I'm kinda guessing the software your going to have to disable is
    > called Windows.... The only way your going to stop the disk activity
    > is most likely by giving it enough memory to keep it from swapping to
    > disk during the installation, that and by stopping any un-needed
    > services that are waisting memory for no reason....

    Problem solved. Went to msconfig and unchecked all non-essentials and
    it installed o.k. Rechecked previously unchecked programs and all is
    well. BTW, my 1024 megs of ram (683 free) was not the problem. I still
    do not know what was "writing to disk", but all is well that ends well.
    Thank you and Mike for your suggestions.
    --

    regards,
    4D

    Fourdogs, Jul 7, 2004