    safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
    gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
    running WinXP Pro.

    dbixby, Dec 29, 2005

  2. dbixby

    Trax Guest

    "dbixby" <> wrote:

    |>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to 82
    |>until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I may
    |>safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
    |>gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
    |>running WinXP Pro.

    68, wow, I only have 28... I bet every program you have installed is
    set to check for daily updates.

    Services you can do without
    http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

    Also download and run Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    Right click on each process and select Google to see if it's a program
    you need to have running.

    --
    Puzzle break.
    http://219.101.39.52/~nanahiro/main.html

    Trax, Dec 29, 2005

  3. dbixby

    philo Guest

    "dbixby" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to 82
    >until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I may
    >safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
    >gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
    >running WinXP Pro.

    go to: run
    then type and enter: msconfig

    you can take most of the stuff out of startup

    you'd want to leave your virus checker and firewall there...
    but most everything else may be disabled...
    save and reboot...your machine should run a lot better...

    btw: any changes you make there are reversable
    by just running msconfig again

    philo, Dec 29, 2005
  4. dbixby

    The Shed Guest

    http://startup.networktechs.com/

    The Shed, Dec 29, 2005
  5. dbixby

    old jon Guest

    "dbixby" <> wrote in message
    >I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to 82
    >until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I may
    >safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service Windows
    >gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated. P.S. I'm
    >running WinXP Pro.

    Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
    http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm
    I`m on 46 processes.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Dec 29, 2005
  6. dbixby

    B.I. Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "dbixby" <> wrote in message
    >>I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up to
    >>82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background services I
    >>may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to remove a service
    >>Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help great appreciated.
    >>P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
    >>

    > Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
    > http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm
    > I`m on 46 processes.
    > best wishes..OJ

    I note that the information appears to apply to WXP (professional).
    How relative will this information be to the Home edition?

    B.I., Dec 31, 2005
  7. dbixby

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:dp6eoq$kbo$,
    B.I. spewed forth:
    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "dbixby" <> wrote in message
    >>> I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up
    >>> to 82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background
    >>> services I may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to
    >>> remove a service Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help
    >>> great appreciated. P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
    >>>

    >> Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
    >> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm
    >> I`m on 46 processes.
    >> best wishes..OJ
    >>

    > I note that the information appears to apply to WXP (professional).
    > How relative will this information be to the Home edition?

    Quite relevant - most services provided by XP Pro are also available in XP
    Home.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 31, 2005
  8. dbixby

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Dec 31, 2005
  9. dbixby

    ellis_jay Guest

    old jon wrote:
    > "dbixby" <> wrote in message
    >> I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up
    >> to 82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background
    >> services I may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to
    >> remove a service Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help
    >> great appreciated. P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
    >>

    > Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
    > http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm
    > I`m on 46 processes.
    > best wishes..OJ

    Your site advises not to use msconfig to disable services. Why is that
    different from what others recommend?

    Ellis_jay

    ellis_jay, Jan 5, 2006
  10. dbixby

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    ellis_jay spewed forth:
    > old jon wrote:
    >> "dbixby" <> wrote in message
    >>> I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up
    >>> to 82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background
    >>> services I may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to
    >>> remove a service Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help
    >>> great appreciated. P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
    >>>

    >> Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
    >> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm
    >> I`m on 46 processes.
    >> best wishes..OJ

    > Your site advises not to use msconfig to disable services. Why is
    > that different from what others recommend?

    MSConfig is an excellent troubleshooting tool, but if you dig into how it
    works, it isn't the best way to fix problems permanently. For example, if
    you use it to disable items that normal are started in the registry "run"
    section, it merely moves those items to a temporary spot in the registry.
    And then the program has to load every time Windows boots in order to
    process the changes a user made. It is great for finding out what *needs* to
    be fixed but It hasn't "fixed" anything.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 6, 2006
  11. dbixby

    old jon Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > old jon wrote:
    >> "dbixby" <> wrote in message
    >>> I currently have 68 processces running in the background. I was up
    >>> to 82 until I removed AOL. Can anyone suggest what background
    >>> services I may safely remove from startup. Every time I try to
    >>> remove a service Windows gives out with sinister warning. Any help
    >>> great appreciated. P.S. I'm running WinXP Pro.
    >>>

    >> Black Viper produced a list of XP services that you can modify here.
    >> http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm
    >> I`m on 46 processes.
    >> best wishes..OJ

    > Your site advises not to use msconfig to disable services. Why is that
    > different from what others recommend?
    >
    > --

    In WinXP it`s probably best to use the Management system.
    When I used winME I used msconfig.
    If you use XP, rt\click My Computer\Manage.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jan 6, 2006