    do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control panel
    but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP

    Cheers

    Barry Collins, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Barry Collins

    pcbutts1 Guest

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    pcbutts1, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Barry Collins

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:NJFhh.17835$ "Barry Collins"
    <> wrote:

    > When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have
    > 55 programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down
    > so they do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in
    > control panel but these programmes do not show up there? I use
    > windows XP

    Run "msconfig" from a command line and look at the "Startup" tab; this
    will show you the entries in the "Run" section(s) of the registry. If
    you recognize programs that you know you don't want, you can disable
    them, but I think Windows will nag you about them at each boot.

    I use a free utility called "Startup Inspector" which I think has a
    better interface.

    http://www.windowsstartup.com/

    There are certainly others.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Barry Collins

    lee houston Guest

    > When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
    > programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they
    > do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control
    > panel but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP

    These are processes, not applications. They are loaded and ready
    but not all are executing and taking cpu time. More meaningful is
    to look at the percent of cpu being used. If it's a low percentage,
    don't sweat it.

    I'm running four applications now and show 42 processes under
    xp sp2. cpu usage is 3 percent.

    lee houston, Dec 19, 2006
  5. pcbutts1 aka in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk <>
    on 12/18/2006 after much thought,came up with this jewel:

    > http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Before listening to anything butthead says,read through these

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/09/07/I-do-believe-PCB
    UTTS1-has-finally-lost-the-plot.aspx

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/11/10/272921.aspx

    http://forums.security-central.us/showthread.php?p=10097

    http://www.atribune.org/Blog/?p=16

    http://blog.subratam.org/?p=17

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/securityblog/2006/09/07/pcbutts1what-a-r
    oyal-pain-in-the-butt/

    http://www.besttechie.net/2006/09/07/pcbutts1-back-at-it/

    http://temerc.blogspot.com/2006/09/pcbutts-internet-software-theif.html

    max
    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages:

    What's in a Name?, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Barry Collins

    Plato Guest

    Barry Collins wrote:

    > When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
    > programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they

    Quite normal for XP. In fact. It takes about 150-250 megs of RAM just to
    start Windows as there a so many processes that need to be running for
    the average pc user.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 19, 2006
  7. Barry Collins

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:44:45 GMT, Barry Collins wrote:

    >When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
    >programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they

    Oh no not this again <groan>

    I have 55 and 58 and am sure the last time it was mentioned it was
    different.

    So it was, I said 62.

    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho... running task manager&rnum=3#e49ad91a5aef3f45
    or shorter
    http://masl.to/?D2992166E

    HERE IS A HINT - read the thread mentioned above.

    2ND HINT (2 for 1 seasonal gift)
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk
    www.google.com

    >do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control panel

    Well that's a start :) , usual suspects.

    msconfig

    admin tools / services.

    Didn't get a crystal ball last xmas and don't expect 1 this time either.
    Find out what you are talking about (unnamed processes)
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/
    or far better yet, for NTL don't touch anything. If you can't figure out
    what the processes are, it's safer not to do anything.

    >but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP

    Wow another XP user.

    Me

    why?, Dec 19, 2006
  8. Barry Collins

    Lookout Guest

    <> wrote:

    >When I go into Windows Task Manager and then 'Processes' I note I have 55
    >programmes running. How do I close some of theses programmes down so they
    >do not restart next time I log on. I have tried start menu in control panel
    >but these programmes do not show up there? I use windows XP
    >
    >Cheers

    Go to each program that is starting when you start up and go into the
    preferences. Somewhere in there MOST will have a box where you can
    disable the start on start up. Once you have done that get back with
    us with a list that starts every time you start Windows.

    Lookout, Dec 20, 2006