    When I do my task manager I see that I have lots of Processes running and I
    only recognize a few. What do I need bare minimum for my computer to operate
    satisfactory?

    Rob, May 14, 2006

  2. Rob

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > When I do my task manager I see that I have lots of Processes running and I
    > only recognize a few. What do I need bare minimum for my computer to operate
    > satisfactory?

    What O/S might this be?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 14, 2006

  3. Rob

    Uplink Guest

    Rob,

    Use Outlook Express and set up a news server for news.telus.net no account
    needed. You get access to over 50,000 newsgroups for free with no ads on any
    outgoing posts. It supports plain text and HTML.

    I use it most of the time and it's great. Or, you can even use
    groups.google.com and get access to more groups because news.telus.net only
    has groups in the text.text.text format (like alt.computer and not "Mac
    Luvers")

    Uplink, May 15, 2006
  4. Rob

    Uplink Guest

    And, it's normal for there to be many processes, I currently have 47/48
    processes running. of course I am running IE, Outlook, iHateSpam, photoshop
    elements 4, yahoo, avast and many other programs.

    I'd say most of these processes are programs YOU choose to run and the
    others are system critical.

    Uplink, May 15, 2006
  5. Rob

    Uplink Guest

    Also, I'm assuming your running XP home/pro

    Uplink, May 15, 2006
  6. Rob

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    > And, it's normal for there to be many processes, I currently have 47/48
    > processes running. of course I am running IE, Outlook, iHateSpam,
    > photoshop elements 4, yahoo, avast and many other programs.
    >
    > I'd say most of these processes are programs YOU choose to run and the
    > others are system critical.

    That's not true if you don't know what's running on the machine in the first
    place as a malware process can be piggy backing off of a legit process like
    Svchost.exe or others and one would never know it.

    It can even be a Svchost.exe that not running out of the Winnt/system32 Win
    2k and down and or Windows/system32 XP and up that's malware and most don't
    realize it.

    Long

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    One should look around from time to time with the proper tools and see for
    his or herself as to what's running on the computer.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 15, 2006
  7. Rob

    Plato Guest