    I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Sep 21, 2003

  2. On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:33:32 +1200, Kookaburra
    <> scribbled:

    >I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    >I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

    Uhmm, no.

    I have 29 processes running as it is. Computer runs fine. I'd say
    20~40 processes is normal.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Kookaburra

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:33:32 +1200, Kookaburra
    > <> scribbled:
    >
    > >I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    > >I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

    > Uhmm, no.
    >
    > I have 29 processes running as it is. Computer runs fine. I'd say
    > 20~40 processes is normal.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Weston

    Depends on the OS that you're using. XP of course has more things running
    than some other OS does.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Kookaburra

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:54:19 +1200, Phillip Weston
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:33:32 +1200, Kookaburra
    ><> scribbled:
    >
    >>I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    >>I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

    >Uhmm, no.
    >
    >I have 29 processes running as it is. Computer runs fine. I'd say
    >20~40 processes is normal.

    Thanks Phillip,

    I just did a quick check using

    I managed to cut out another utility and had to recheck 2, I thought
    I'd get away without.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Kookaburra

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Kookaburra" <> wrote in message
    > I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    > I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

    I'm running XP and have 39 processes running.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2003
  6. Kookaburra wrote:
    > I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    > I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?

    Nothing to worry about. My win2k is running 40 processes and it hums along.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 21, 2003
  7. Kookaburra

    Allistar Guest

    Kookaburra wrote:

    > I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    > I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?
    >

    > Cheers, Kooky

    ps aux | wc

    shows I have 118 processes running, most of which are sleeping.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 22, 2003
  8. Kookaburra

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:26:32 +1200, Allistar
    <> wrote:

    >Kookaburra wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    >> I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?
    >>

    >> Cheers, Kooky

    >ps aux | wc
    >
    >shows I have 118 processes running, most of which are sleeping.
    >
    >Allistar.

    Thanks everyone.

    Seems I was over reacting although one of the processes was using up
    my resources. I think it could have been LoadQM.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Sep 22, 2003
  9. Hi there,

    Kookaburra wrote:
    > I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    > I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?
    >
    > Cheers, Kooky

    Nah. Windows systems can run over 50-60 processes just sitting with
    no software other than the OS and a few taskbar apps running. I'd
    worry if you had 100 running and no resources left, but it seems
    its not that bad on your system...

    My Linux system has...let me see...currently 76 user processes in
    action, and thats fairly normal...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 23, 2003
  10. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:14:55 +1200, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Nah. Windows systems can run over 50-60 processes just sitting with no
    > software other than the OS and a few taskbar apps running. I'd worry if
    > you had 100 running and no resources left, but it seems its not that bad
    > on your system...

    Does windows still crash if more than 255 windows are opened?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 23, 2003
  11. Kookaburra

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    > Does windows still crash if more than 255 windows are opened?

    XP pro doesn't, I tested when I saw your post.
    There used to be a limit of 64 Internet Explorer windows too, but that has
    since been increased to 128 from what the MS rep said.

    T.N.O., Sep 24, 2003
  12. Kookaburra

    Graymond Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Kookaburra wrote:
    >
    > > I noticed I had 28 processes running in the background this morning.
    > > I have managed to cut it down to 1O. Is that still too many?
    > >

    > > Cheers, Kooky

    > ps aux | wc
    >
    > shows I have 118 processes running, most of which are sleeping.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Have a look here, may offer some enlightenment :)
    http://www.blkviper.com/

    Graymond

    Graymond, Sep 24, 2003