    are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    thats
    been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    johngood_____, Nov 14, 2007

  2. johngood_____

    meerkat Guest

    "johngood_____" <> wrote in message
    news:idJ_i.56487$...
    > For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from
    > my
    > camera each at maximum file size.
    >
    > I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new
    > computer
    > and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the external hard
    > drive.
    >
    > Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so
    > as not to risk
    > losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother
    > to *erase*
    > the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are stored
    > in ordinary windows folders.
    >
    > Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    > several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because there
    > are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    > thats
    > been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    You could use a Duplicate file finder program, and do
    them in small, or folder batches.
    Can`t think of any other way with 30 gigs worth.

    meerkat, Nov 14, 2007

  3. johngood_____

    jrblack10 Guest

    On Nov 14, 3:51 pm, "johngood_____" <> wrote:
    > For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from my
    > camera each at maximum file size.
    >
    > I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new computer
    > and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the external hard drive.
    >
    > Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so as
    > not to risk
    > losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother to
    > *erase*
    > the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are stored in
    > ordinary windows folders.
    >
    > Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    > several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because there
    > are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    > thats
    > been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    Try a tool Beyond Compare. Great tool for all kind of purposes. You
    can compare drives, directories, files... date, time, binary content,
    etc.
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/

    jrblack10, Nov 14, 2007
  4. In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, johngood_____ wrote:

    > Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    > several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because
    > there are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for
    > a photo thats been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    Got an extra hard drive? Copy all the ones you want to keep (once) to a
    new, fresh media. Delete *all* of the old ones. :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 14, 2007
  5. johngood_____

    Cub Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "johngood_____" <> wrote in message
    >> For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from
    >> my
    >> camera each at maximum file size.
    >>
    >> I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new
    >> computer
    >> and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the external hard
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so
    >> as not to risk
    >> losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother
    >> to *erase*
    >> the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are stored
    >> in ordinary windows folders.
    >>
    >> Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    >> several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because
    >> there
    >> are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    >> thats
    >> been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.
    >>

    > You could use a Duplicate file finder program, and do
    > them in small, or folder batches.
    > Can`t think of any other way with 30 gigs worth.

    Watch out ... be careful , most camera's have a similar way of numbering
    images. i.e. they may reset the counter after your have deleted them off
    your camera so you could end up with multiple imagexxx

    Cub, Nov 14, 2007
  6. johngood_____

    Ken Hart Guest

    "johngood_____" <> wrote in message
    > For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from
    > my
    > camera each at maximum file size.
    >
    > I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new
    > computer
    > and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the external hard
    > drive.
    >
    > Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so
    > as not to risk
    > losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother
    > to *erase*
    > the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are stored
    > in ordinary windows folders.
    >
    > Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    > several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because there
    > are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    > thats
    > been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    Convert them all to film negatives, and shoot film from now on. You won't
    have to worry about hard drive failures, technology upgrades. Use the free
    space on your hard drives to maintain a database of your photos stored on
    film.

    Ken Hart, Nov 14, 2007
  7. johngood_____

    Maria Guest

    Search for them by date modified.

    Maria, Nov 14, 2007
  8. johngood_____

    Art Guest

    johngood_____ wrote:
    > For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from my
    > camera each at maximum file size.
    >
    > I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new computer
    > and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the external hard drive.
    >
    > Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so as
    > not to risk
    > losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother to
    > *erase*
    > the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are stored in
    > ordinary windows folders.
    >
    > Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    > several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because there
    > are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    > thats
    > been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    Assuming the duplicates have the same name - you could just copy them
    all into the same directory tree and the duplicates will take care of
    themselves. Just answer yes to the file replace question.

    --
    Art

    Art, Nov 15, 2007
  9. johngood_____

    Guest

    "johngood_____" <> wrote:

    >For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from my
    >camera each at maximum file size.
    >
    >I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new computer
    >and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the external hard drive.
    >
    >Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so as
    >not to risk
    >losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother to
    >*erase*
    >the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are stored in
    >ordinary windows folders.
    >
    >Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    >several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because there
    >are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    >thats
    >been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    ACDSee does this very well, and being a photo viewer you can view the
    pix to make sure they are the same.

    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acdsee

    If you use 3.1 and it doesn't give you a trial period, post back I'll
    give you a number, as 3.1 is no longer supported.
    --

    Japan’s moon probe updates Earthrise
    http://tinyurl.com/2w68x9

    , Nov 15, 2007
  10. johngood_____

    WaIIy Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:51:26 GMT, "johngood_____" <> wrote:

    >For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from my
    >camera each at maximum file size.
    >
    >I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new computer
    >and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the external hard drive.
    >
    >Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so as
    >not to risk
    >losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother to
    >*erase*
    >the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are stored in
    >ordinary windows folders.
    >
    >Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    >several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because there
    >are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a photo
    >thats
    >been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    Try this...

    DeDuper:

    http://www.niftyprograms.com/deduper.htm

    Fast and dead accurate.

    WaIIy, Nov 15, 2007
  11. On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:51:26 +0000, johngood_____ wrote:

    > For years, I have stored on my pc thousands of digital photographs from
    > my camera each at maximum file size.
    >
    > I've copied them back and forth between computers, when I got a new
    > computer and an external hard drive. Most of them are now on the
    > external hard drive.
    >
    > Like an idiot when I transferred them here and there, back and forth, so
    > as not to risk
    > losing them I always *copied* them to a new place and then didn't bother
    > to *erase*
    > the old photos, but just left them. I have windows xp and they are
    > stored in ordinary windows folders.
    >
    > Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    > several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because
    > there are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for a
    > photo thats
    > been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    I've tried Check Identical Files 2.12 & am happy to say, it works as
    advertised. At least, it did for me.

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/File_Cleanup_Utilities/Check_Identical_Files.html

    It was recommended by a kind poster in this group.

    ToBeAnnounced, Nov 15, 2007
  12. johngood_____

    Matt Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, johngood_____ wrote:
    >
    >> Consequently I've got about 30 gigabytes of photos with masses copied
    >> several times. Is there any neat way to delete the repeats? Because
    >> there are thousands, it's not easy to go through them all looking for
    >> a photo thats been copied several times. Thanks for any advice.

    > Got an extra hard drive? Copy all the ones you want to keep (once) to a
    > new, fresh media. Delete *all* of the old ones. :)

    Q: How do you make a sculpture of an elephant?

    A: Get a large block of stone and remove everything that does not look
    like and elephant.

    Matt, Nov 17, 2007
  13. d'peg program.
    a friend has used it for years.
    create yourself a pile of folders. put an equal amount of mb into each
    folder.
    run the program against the first folder.
    it'll whittle out the dupes in there.
    then do the 2d directory and so on.
    when all the directories are done, take 2 folders, join them, and run d'peg
    again against it.
    the program maintains a database on all the pics as they're done. deletes
    pics at a click of a button.
    the friend has a 500,000 pic collection, so it must work well.
    if you have 'thousands' , i'll assume less than 20,000. the program works
    faster if you have a newer system; on an older system it takes longer.
    this is /not/ a project that can be done quickly, nor with any of the other
    programs noted in this thread.

    mikey likes it, Nov 19, 2007
  14. johngood_____

    Vue, Ivan Guest