    my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be true
    please?

    torge conrad, Sep 25, 2006

  2. torge conrad

    Plato Guest

    torge conrad wrote:

    > I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    > my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    > many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be true
    > please?

    No, not true, but can slow down the display of your desktop a bit when
    first booting up.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 25, 2006

  3. torge conrad

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:43:46 GMT, torge conrad wrote:

    >I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    >my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    >many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be true
    >please?

    If they are UNC mapped paths to file servers yes, Win XP verifies links.
    http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html

    Me

    why?, Sep 25, 2006
  4. torge conrad

    richard Guest

    "torge conrad" <> wrote in message
    >I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    > my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    > many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be
    > true please?

    If you think that's the case, then put all of those icons into a folder
    which would be the only thing on the desktop.
    Then reboot and compare.

    Most of the time, slowness is due to a ton of crap collected in the
    registry.
    Try cleaning the registry with a good cleaner. "Easy Cleaner" from toniarts
    is a good one.
    Try also cleaning out your internet cache history.
    Run the defrag tool and see how badly messed up the files are.
    Icons rarely have a tendancy to slow down the bootup process.

    richard, Sep 25, 2006
  5. torge conrad

    Lookout Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    >my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    >many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be true
    >please?

    I believe that's an old problem from the Win 3.1 days and still
    believed now. I also heard it from the beginnings of Win95 when many
    of us were using underpowered machines to run the new OS.

    Lookout, Sep 25, 2006
  6. torge conrad

    Kluck Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:43:46 +0000, torge conrad wrote:

    > I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    > my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    > many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be
    > true please?

    Not because of icons. I have 50 or so on my XP machine and I haven't
    noticed any slowdown.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Kluck, Sep 25, 2006
  7. torge conrad

    Guest

    "torge conrad" <> wrote:

    >I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    >my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    >many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be true
    >please?

    Win98? not the amount of icons, but the defragmentation of the file
    ShellIconCache will cause slow downs; If that's the case just delete
    the ShellIconCache file - it will recreate itself.

    --
    New Sand
    http://fallingsandgame.com/sand/NewSand.html

    , Sep 25, 2006
  8. torge conrad

    Guest

    , Sep 25, 2006
  9. torge conrad enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    > my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having
    > so
    > many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this
    > be true please?

    That amount of icons - if they are just *.lnk - files - should not slow
    down your pc.
    However, if some or more of them are real files and folders, windows
    does open them every time the desktop is refreshed, to look for and
    display the icons. Then comes the on-access scanner and further slows
    down everything.
    You should _never_ use the "desktop" as file storage: just this day a
    coworker found out he lost some folders on his desktop, after a simple
    word crash on friday. Even easyrecovery could recover only a few
    files ...
    Even worse if you have "links" to network shares on your desktop, as
    windows tries to access them as well. That can become _rather_ annoying
    in particular when one or more of them are offline.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 25, 2006
  10. torge conrad

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > You should _never_ use the "desktop" as file storage

    Why? Surely it's just like any other folder...?

    Rich Wilson, Sep 26, 2006
  11. torge conrad

    John Holmes Guest

    Lookout "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:43:46 GMT, "torge conrad"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >>
    >>my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having
    >>so many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could
    >>this be true please?
    >>

    > I believe that's an old problem from the Win 3.1 days and still
    > believed now. I also heard it from the beginnings of Win95 when many
    > of us were using underpowered machines to run the new OS.

    When you get run over by a car, it shouldn't be listed under accidents.

    --
    Your mother was a heathen fraudster who danced naked in a small tent.

    John Holmes, Sep 26, 2006
  12. torge conrad

    Guest

    Call up windows task manager (alt,con,del) and select the performance
    tab. Look at Physical Memory to see how much ram is left for use. If
    low, press "start" button, select "run" and type "msconfig". From
    Systime Configuration Utility, select "Startup" tab and uncheck as
    much as possible. Back out, restart computer and check again on
    Physical Memory as above. You may just have too many utilities booting
    on startup.

    <> wrote:

    >I have about 50 icons on my desktop (have windows xp).
    >
    >my pc has been a bit slow lately. i have just been told that having so
    >many icons on the desktop can in fact slow down the pc. could this be true
    >please?

    , Sep 26, 2006
  13. Rich Wilson enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> You should _never_ use the "desktop" as file storage

    > Why? Surely it's just like any other folder...?

    As I already told, the files on "desktop" are in fact "open" a lot of
    the time, when the desktop refreshes. Even longer when a on-access
    scanner kicks in. Any crash in this state has a much higher likelihood
    of fatal consequences then.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 26, 2006
  14. torge conrad

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Rich Wilson enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    >

    >> "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> You should _never_ use the "desktop" as file storage

    >> Why? Surely it's just like any other folder...?

    > As I already told, the files on "desktop" are in fact "open" a lot of
    > the time, when the desktop refreshes.

    You sure? Most files don't contain icon images so Windows wouldn't need to
    look inside the files. And if it did, it would open the files in read-only
    mode, and only for a fraction of a second. Therefore there's no chance of
    anything getting damaged.

    Rich Wilson, Sep 26, 2006
  15. Rich Wilson enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in

    >> As I already told, the files on "desktop" are in fact "open" a lot of
    >> the time, when the desktop refreshes.

    > You sure? Most files don't contain icon images so Windows wouldn't
    > need to look inside the files. And if it did, it would open the files
    > in read-only mode, and only for a fraction of a second. Therefore
    > there's no chance of anything getting damaged.

    Maybe, theoretically, only for fractions of a second ... everytime the
    desktop has to be refreshed (when you move windows, click around ...) -
    and then the on-access-virusscanner keeps them open for a bit longer.
    If it's just a link, no problem. At least it can be recreated.
    I am not really certain if windows or the virus scanner opens read-only
    everytime, do not trust the guys ...
    From my experience, I have seen files and folders on the desktop vanish
    beyond recovery often enough, from the desktop, when a simple crash had
    occured.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 27, 2006
  16. torge conrad

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Rich Wilson enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    >

    >> "Walter Mautner" <> wrote in

    >>> As I already told, the files on "desktop" are in fact "open" a lot of
    >>> the time, when the desktop refreshes.

    >> You sure? Most files don't contain icon images so Windows wouldn't
    >> need to look inside the files. And if it did, it would open the files
    >> in read-only mode, and only for a fraction of a second. Therefore
    >> there's no chance of anything getting damaged.

    > Maybe, theoretically, only for fractions of a second ... everytime the
    > desktop has to be refreshed (when you move windows, click around ...) -

    That wouldn't cause the icons to be reloaded. The images are kept in memory
    (physical or virtual) while they're in use.

    > and then the on-access-virusscanner keeps them open for a bit longer.
    > If it's just a link, no problem. At least it can be recreated.
    > I am not really certain if windows or the virus scanner opens read-only
    > everytime, do not trust the guys ...

    Even if they were opened for full access, I don't think that would cause any
    problems in a crash unless something was actually changing the data.

    > From my experience, I have seen files and folders on the desktop vanish
    > beyond recovery often enough, from the desktop, when a simple crash had
    > occured.

    I think you need to have another look for the cause of that problem! I've
    never seen it happen.

    Rich Wilson, Sep 27, 2006
  17. Rich Wilson enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    >> Maybe, theoretically, only for fractions of a second ... everytime
    >> the desktop has to be refreshed (when you move windows, click around
    >> ...) -

    > That wouldn't cause the icons to be reloaded. The images are kept in
    > memory (physical or virtual) while they're in use.

    The actual images, yes. But the system has to check for changes against
    them. Probably that can be done by keeping file modify times (of the
    icons/files containing possible icons, and as well files _not_
    containing icons) in the icon cache db. I am uncertain if the iconcache
    keeps stamps for every such file on the desktop, even these which do
    not contain a icon of their own, and folders.

    >> and then the on-access-virusscanner keeps them open for a bit longer.
    >> If it's just a link, no problem. At least it can be recreated.
    >> I am not really certain if windows or the virus scanner opens
    >> read-only everytime, do not trust the guys ...

    > Even if they were opened for full access, I don't think that would
    > cause any problems in a crash unless something was actually changing
    > the data.

    Or trashing the iconcache which is indeed open most of the time, forcing
    a reload while the system is inmidst a crash or non-responding due to
    network problems and $user hits _various_ bad key sequences ...
    We support hundreds of office computers, mainly running w2k. It has
    happened on occasion. Of course, maybe 99 of 100 crashes don't trash
    the desktop or files there.
    One indication something may happen, is reordering/resorting of desktop
    icons (though automatic sorting wasn't selected) after a crash or
    unclean shutdown, which in turn happens often enough.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 28, 2006