TOo many choices!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Josh Gelernter, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. I cannot deside to buy either the Dimage 7HI,Oly E-10,Fuji S7000 or S602SE
    Pro?! Which one do you recommend and why?

    Josh Gelernter, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Josh Gelernter

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <BNZ8b.26$>,
    says...
    > I cannot deside to buy either the Dimage 7HI,Oly E-10,Fuji S7000 or S602SE
    > Pro?! Which one do you recommend and why?

    Canon 300D (Digital Rebel.) Oops...sorry for making things harder for
    you ;-)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Why does everyone think I want to spend 1200CDN on a camera if I am asking
    for one that costs 700CDN!!

    Josh Gelernter, Sep 14, 2003
  4. I didn't mean it like that. I have asked this on a few boards and Newsgroups
    and everyone answers "Digital Rebel" ,"EOS-300", "buy the new digital
    rebel... on and on. How are all these people so confident about a cam that
    hasnt been released yet?

    Josh Gelernter, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Josh Gelernter

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <qa39b.242$>,
    says...
    > Sorry I didn't mean hasn't been released, I mean, hasn't been put intostores

    Yes it has. Many people are using them as I type. It is a great camera
    and a much better investment IMHO than the prosumer 5mp point and shoots
    that you mentioned. Of the ones you mentioned however, the E10 is my
    recommendation, hands down. My E20 was a great camera.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 15, 2003
  6. The E-10 is discontinued. Is it worth it to buy it now? Is it going to take
    nice pictures as a 4MP cam? Is it durable or a cheap SLR.

    Josh Gelernter, Sep 15, 2003
  7. "Josh Gelernter" <> writes:

    > I didn't mean it like that. I have asked this on a few boards and Newsgroups
    > and everyone answers "Digital Rebel" ,"EOS-300", "buy the new digital
    > rebel... on and on. How are all these people so confident about a cam that
    > hasnt been released yet?

    I guess Canon marketing has done its job. :)

    A few Best Buy's seemed to have jumped the gun, and a few people now own one.

    In terms of why people are salavating for it, there is a huge pent up demand
    for owning a DSLR, and this is the first one release at US$ 1,000, including
    the starter lens (but note you will still have to buy a compact flash card).
    DSLRs have a larger sensor (roughly APS sized) that traditional digital
    cameras, which means the noise levels are less, ISO speed can go up to 1600,
    and it has faster focusing (an Achilles heel of most digital cameras).

    The down side of the sensor being bigger is that the camera and lenses are
    correspondingly larger and heavier. Also, the lenses have less reach. For
    example, there are cameras like the Minolta Dimage 7HI which have a 7x zoom
    ratio (equivalent to 28-200mm in 35mm), while the lens that comes as part of
    the kit is only a 3x zoom (equivalent to 29-88mm in 35mm cameras), and if you
    want more tele-photo range, you need to buy another lens. One of the downsides
    of getting into the DSLR game is (D)SLR Lens Addiction, where you continually
    feel the lenses you have are hindering your photography, and have to go up to
    the next lens.

    I personally feel there have been too many compromises made to protect sales of
    the more expensive 10D (no flash compensation, no rear curtain flash sync,
    limited focusing options, fewer pictures in continous mode). Whether these are
    important to you is up for you to decide.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Josh Gelernter

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <QS69b.370$>,
    says...
    > The E-10 is discontinued. Is it worth it to buy it now? Is it going to take
    > nice pictures as a 4MP cam? Is it durable or a cheap SLR.

    It will take pictures of the same quality as when it was introduced.
    Yes, they are excellent. There is a little more noise in them than a lot
    of other digitals, but the color accuracy, resolution, etc is top notch.
    Durable? The damn thing is built like a tank.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Sep 15, 2003
  9. Josh Gelernter

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Because photography is elitist, just like computers and home entertainment.
    Everyone's bragging about the size of their digital penis.

    Eric Gisin, Sep 15, 2003
  10. I have now narrowed it down to E-10 or Nikon 5700. Fuji just dont look
    durable enough and the Mintola has too much noise.

    Josh Gelernter, Sep 15, 2003
  11. "Josh Gelernter" <> wrote in

    > I cannot deside to buy either the Dimage 7HI,Oly E-10,Fuji S7000 or
    > S602SE Pro?! Which one do you recommend and why?

    In that class, I'd be *sure* to check out the new Sony 828, which should be
    available soon. (I'd also look into the Minolta A1).

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/

    --
    Albert Nurick www.TheDeliciousLife.com
    A guide to the good life

    Albert Nurick, Sep 15, 2003
  12. These cameras all cost around 600USD used. I saw the A1 and F828.

    Josh Gelernter, Sep 15, 2003
  13. "Josh Gelernter" <> wrote in news:8W89b.797
    $:

    > I have now narrowed it down to E-10 or Nikon 5700. Fuji just dont look
    > durable enough and the Mintola has too much noise.

    Now that I understand your price range, I'd suggest the Sony 707. I picked
    it over the Olympus and the Nikon based on image quality and innovative
    features, like the unique NightFraming and laser-assist autofocus.

    Albert Nurick, Sep 15, 2003
  14. There are so many cameras I want to buy and that are in my price range, but
    I have CF cards and I dont want to have to buy all new ones for
    MemorySticks,XD,SmartMedia, etc

    Josh Gelernter, Sep 15, 2003
  15. "Josh Gelernter" <> wrote in

    > There are so many cameras I want to buy and that are in my price
    > range, but I have CF cards and I dont want to have to buy all new ones
    > for MemorySticks,XD,SmartMedia, etc

    Understandable, but $100 buys a good deal of memory in any format.

    I'd just factor that into the cost of whatever non-CF camera you're
    considering. I prefer CF also, but the innovative features and image
    quality of the 707 made the jump to Memory Stick worthwhile for me.

    Albert Nurick, Sep 15, 2003
  16. Josh Gelernter

    Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote in message news:<-b.net>...
    > Then there are the people who need the long glass; Sigma has no 600mm
    > f2, for example.

    Who has 600mm f/2?

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    , Sep 28, 2003
  17. writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote in message news:<-b.net>...
    > > Then there are the people who need the long glass; Sigma has no 600mm
    > > f2, for example.

    > Who has 600mm f/2?

    Sorry, nobody. But they don't have a 600mm f4, either, and both Nikon
    and Canon do.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Sep 30, 2003
  18. wrote in message news:<>...
    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote in message news:<-b.net>...
    > > Then there are the people who need the long glass; Sigma has no 600mm
    > > f2, for example.

    > Who has 600mm f/2?

    You're out of your mind. You could not even carry such a thing.

    Michael Scarpitti, Sep 30, 2003
  19. Josh Gelernter

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Michael Scarpitti <> wrote:
    > wrote in message news:<>...
    >> David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote in message news:<-b.net>...

    >> > Then there are the people who need the long glass; Sigma has no 600mm
    >> > f2, for example.

    >> Who has 600mm f/2?

    >You're out of your mind. You could not even carry such a thing.

    Oh, I dunno. The front objective lens would only have to be about
    12 inches in diameter.

    (600mm / f2) / 25.4 = 11.8

    Actually if anybody wants to see a _real_ 680mm f2.2 camera, here's
    a link. And no, you can't carry it. 200+ pounds.

    http://www.meade.com/catalog/lx/12_lx200sc.html

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Oct 3, 2003