    And that was it!
    Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 25, 2008

  2. Thanks , Carlos!

    It may not be all that often, but Freewheeling and Hipshooting do really
    catch some of those tricky errors - the fixes you will not find in the
    books!

    Actually, looking for these updates is usually the first thing I do with a
    new system. Info on precisely what has been updated is often extremely vague
    but the dates are there and if considerable time has passed, I go ahead and
    flash the damned thing!

    Tony. . .

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to

    the
    > latest version in case of strange troubles.
    > I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs

    memory

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2008

  3. Yes, I agree.

    Another thing that can happen with memory, btw, is simply a lack of voltage
    when they're all there. This can often be fixed by tweaking the voltage up
    just a bit in the BIOS. I've got an ASUS A8V-vm that used to run 4 sticks
    just fine, but now won't. But since it's my Windows Home Server box, it's
    fine with 2 GB so I've left it alone.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2008
  4. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I resorted to do the flashing after having tried the usual tricks:
    1.- Increment memory voltage
    2.- Decrease from DDR2-667 to DDR2-533
    3.- Memory timings
    None of those could prevent the BSOD.
    After the flashing everything is back to normal.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 26, 2008
  5. Carlos

    BP Guest

    Carlos expressed precisely :
    > One of most recommended fixes by Tony is to upgrade (flash) your BIOS to the
    > latest version in case of strange troubles.
    > I helped one friend of mine who could not add a second DDR-667 2 gigs memory
    > stick to his brand new Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS motherboard (Vista x64).
    > 2 gigs DDR-667, Vista would boot Ok.
    > 4 gigs DDR-667, Vista would BSOD on boot.
    > His BIOS was ver F3 so I downloaded the latest one, a.k.a. v F6.
    > And that was it!
    > Vista is now happy with 4 gigs.
    > Carlos

    Carlos and Tony - This thread raises some questions fro me. How do I
    find out about the mother board, BOIS, etc. that is in my system so I
    can find out if there are updates? I have an HP and I've checked the
    HP site to look for updates to my system, but is there another way?

    BP, Jun 27, 2008
  6. With HP, you are actually lucky, because if you visit their home site you
    can type your product name and number into the search-box and it will take
    you to the correct place where there are (or isn't?) updates waiting for
    you.

    As an alternative - when your machine is booting, the first thing that
    appears on your screen is the name and BIOS number of the graphics card -
    the next thing that displays will usually be the CPU and memory and BIOS
    info of your machine and if you want to look for updates you go to the
    manufacturers site and see what they have. Most times, when you buy someting
    new, it is at least six months old and updated system drivers and BIOS's are
    likely to be available. But if you are not having any trouble with the
    machine or the OS, then you may want to wait, many updates concerns specific
    hardware that you may not have anyway. HP don't issue a lot of BIOS
    updates - it is my understanding that they make a considerable effort to do
    it right the first time. My HP notebook is three years old now and there has
    been one single update that I wanted, in that time.

    If there are things you don't like about a HP machine, it is not likely to
    go away with an update - it is probably associated with the particular
    philosophy by which HP build their products.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 27, 2008
  7. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    BP,
    In addition to Tony's wise and comprehensive comments you may also want to
    download and run (no installation needed) this very small freeware utility:
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
    It is called CPU-Z.
    Once you run it, go to the "Mainboard" tab and you will find the information
    you are asking for.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 27, 2008
  8. Carlos

    BP Guest

    I like my HP. Having used it for 6 months I'm sorry I didn't get the
    larger monitor, but it's a sweetheart. Oh, and sometimes I wish I had
    waited for another 6 months because the machine now being sold is
    faster, etc. But I recall having waited another six months before
    getting this one so I'd get a faster, etc. machine. Oh Well.

    And thank you for the information. I've checked the HP site and there
    are no new updates for the computer. You've also solved a minor puzzle
    for me. I can see white text on the screen during the boot process,
    but it's never on long enough to read and I've wondered what it said.
    I still can't read it, but at least I have an idea what the subject
    matter is.

    Tony Sperling has brought this to us :

    BP, Jun 27, 2008
  9. Carlos

    BP Guest

    Carlos - Thanks for cite to CPU-Z. The program looks to be just the
    one I'm after. And thanks to for the other post about making Flash
    work on the 64 bit version of IE. Some sites don't seem to realize it's
    installed, but that's a different issue.

    BP, Jun 27, 2008
  10. You are right, the Boot Screen text messages are wizzing by rather quickly,
    but usually the messages that identifies the BIOS info stays long enough to
    be read - among other things, the brief pause give you an option to press
    <F2> or <DEL> or whatever it happens to be, to access the BIOS Setup
    utility - if you want to write down some of the information, you can enter
    the BIOS at this stage and all the version information can be read from
    inside!

    Don't make changes that you don't understand what they are for - but you can
    safely turn off support for devices that you know you don't have! Notebooks
    often do not have a lot of options so probably better to leave it alone, but
    it is absolutely safe to go inside and read - then <F10>, and you are back
    out again!

    Or, as an alternative - your monitor probably eats a few seconds to light
    up, so you can give the machine the 'three-finger' (Ctrl+Alt+Del) if you've
    missed anything and after the re-boot you'll find it is easier to read some
    of that stuff since the screen has already been activated.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 27, 2008
  11. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony - and BP.

    USUALLY, the Pause/Break button (upper right on most keyboards) is
    functional even during POST (Power-On Self Test, for those reading along).
    When you see the first page of text, press that button and take as long as
    you need to read the screenful of information. Then press almost any key
    and the process will continue. Some systems present a second or even a
    third page of info as devices and IRQs are detected; a second timely press
    of the Pause key should let you read that, too.

    Unfortunately, my current keyboard (from Microsoft! The Wireless Desktop
    Laser 6000) does NOT let me use the Pause/Break key at that point, so I have
    to READFAST - and then <Ctrl><Alt><Del> a few times to get all the info -
    and that near the bottom of the page disappears REALLY fast! :>(

    (Digression: This is a nice keyboard - but with several maddening traits.
    The Function keys (F1 - F12) are grouped in 3s, not 4s - and they do double
    duty, toggled by the F Lock key between the normal F5 and "Open", for
    example. The Pause/Break key toggles to "ScrLk", for which I've seldom
    found a need. :>( On boot or reboot, this key is set to the ScrLk function
    and I can't get it toggled to Pause/Break , or at least, not quickly enough
    to do me any good.. Don't you just LOVE Microsoft's hardware? Maybe HP's
    keyboard works more sensibly.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 27, 2008
  12. It's true, the <Pause> key usually works fine - but more often, I find,
    there is one or ½ of a screen that don't stop, back in good old DOS it used
    to stop everything right away - right now it's the lines of IDE information
    that goes by so I've stopped using Pause now. One other thing is you can
    often set a 'Quick Boot' option in the BIOS and that stops the displaying of
    POST info which is a delay - I disable this and forfeit the speed-up myself,
    I like that it counts the memory and it gives the machine some time to
    stabilize electrically and I believe I have fewer problems with strange
    'hangs' when booting - and you'll have time to read some of the early stuff
    there too!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 27, 2008