    Web Browsing at a standstill.

    'As fast as your line will allow'.

    Guess I needed worry about exceeding the 600mb during the busy hours.

    canon paora, Dec 3, 2006

  2. canon paora

    canon paora Guest

    canon paora, Dec 3, 2006

  3. canon paora

    Vista Guest

    "canon paora" <> wrote in message
    > Torrents @ 12kB/s
    > Emule @ 10.6kB/s
    > Web Browsing at a standstill.
    >
    > 'As fast as your line will allow'.
    >
    > Guess I needed worry about exceeding the 600mb during the busy hours.

    You do know that tonite is not spelt like that.

    Vista, Dec 3, 2006
  4. canon paora

    canon paora Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "canon paora" <> wrote in message
    >
    > You do know that tonite is not spelt like that.

    Thank you for your input.

    canon paora, Dec 3, 2006
  5. canon paora

    Tony Guest

    > 'As fast as your line will allow'.
    >
    > Guess I needed worry about exceeding the 600mb during the busy hours.

    Hard not to see that as false advertising.

    Tony, Dec 3, 2006
  6. canon paora

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "canon paora" <> wrote in message
    >> Torrents @ 12kB/s
    >> Emule @ 10.6kB/s
    >> Web Browsing at a standstill.
    >>
    >> 'As fast as your line will allow'.
    >>
    >> Guess I needed worry about exceeding the 600mb during the busy hours.
    >>

    > You do know that tonite is not spelt like that.

    FYI No, he spelt tonite perfectly.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Dec 3, 2006
  7. canon paora

    Craig Shore Guest

    On 3 Dec 2006 01:07:50 -0800, "canon paora" <> wrote:

    >Torrents @ 12kB/s
    >Emule @ 10.6kB/s

    >Web Browsing at a standstill.

    You're not saturating your upload with the first two which would stop the www
    browsing are you?

    Craig Shore, Dec 3, 2006
  8. canon paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On 3 Dec 2006 01:07:50 -0800, "canon paora" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Torrents @ 12kB/s
    > > Emule @ 10.6kB/s

    > > Web Browsing at a standstill.

    > You're not saturating your upload with the first two which would stop
    > the www browsing are you?

    I am about to ring Actrix and cancel my Go Large plan and *strongly* insist
    that I don't get charged for the last three weeks of 'service'.

    The folks at Actrix have been great about it so far. Their software shows my
    connection dropping up to 34 times a day, averaging the high 20's. However,
    it seems that the software only logs one disconnect per 30 minutes as I've
    sat, seething, watching the router lose the connection, then reconnect for a
    couple minutes, only to loose it again. I noticed it happen 11 times over a
    one-hour period, re-checked Actrix' 'dialup usage' stats from my line and it
    had only increased by two. My connection has just dropped *again* now, the
    second time since I started writing this post!

    Going by my observations, and extrapolating from the data available at
    Actrix' site, my connection is dropping out around 100 times a day. (As a
    reference-point, when I changed from Cyberjet on 14th of last month I'd been
    connected continously for 82 hours).

    A guy I've been speaking to at the helpdesk had Xtra put my line on "The
    Analyser" for 48 hours at the end of last week. Xtra claimed that, during
    that time, the connection dropped/'retrained' 24 times. (More like 240
    times, Actrix' data said 43 and I personally witnessed at least that many in
    the time I was sat at my PC). Xtra said that it wasn't ideal and that
    'maybe' they'd look into it. However, they wouldn't commit to anything when
    pushed by the (excellent) Actrix helpdesk guy, wouldn't give a time-frame,
    nothing. All they wanted to know was the make and model of my router (the
    one that was staying connected for days on end less than a month ago).

    It's just dropped again. Shit! I've been kicked of my game servers for
    repeatedly logging on, I've been locked out of my bank's site for similar,
    the conection keeps dropping and I keep trying to get back on when it comes
    up, only to have it drop again. Connection up again. It only takes about two
    minutes for my router to re-establish the DSL connection, then the PPP.
    However, when it's happening every four minutes I'd say the connection is
    unusable for most things. I've lost a few downloads halfway through and have
    given up trying.

    The disconnects happen in no discernable pattern. I actually had a day last
    week when I only had one disconnect!

    My advice to anyone who wants to use their connection for anything other
    than email and nesgroups is don't Go Large. However, if you only want email
    and newsgroups then save some money and use dial-up. (Azureus had choked
    this morning, messages about not being able to connect with trackers, less
    than 100MB transfered in 7 hours on a line that, four days ago, peaked at 4M
    (for the second and a half it took) getting the latest Sun Java update).

    Wow!!! It's been seven minutes since I was last disconnected! (I type slowly
    when I haven't had my second coffee)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 3, 2006
  9. canon paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Wow!!! It's been seven minutes since I was last disconnected! (I type
    > slowly when I haven't had my second coffee)

    LOL, wouldn't you know it? I hit "send' and the amber light was showing on
    the router, another disconnect! Three in the time it took me to write and
    post that message.

    Fun fun fun.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 3, 2006
  10. canon paora

    Chris Lim Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > My advice to anyone who wants to use their connection for anything other
    > than email and nesgroups is don't Go Large. However, if you only want email

    What, based on your unusual circumstances? I'm on Go Large (with Xtra)
    and don't have the connection drops you mention. I mainly use it for
    torrents, which works reasonably well. Should I switch to something
    else, since your connection keeps dropping?

    Chris Lim, Dec 3, 2006
  11. canon paora

    Vista Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "canon paora" <> wrote in message
    >>> Torrents @ 12kB/s
    >>> Emule @ 10.6kB/s
    >>> Web Browsing at a standstill.
    >>>
    >>> 'As fast as your line will allow'.
    >>>
    >>> Guess I needed worry about exceeding the 600mb during the busy hours.
    >>>

    >> You do know that tonite is not spelt like that.

    > FYI No, he spelt tonite perfectly.
    >

    > -KENT

    What does tonite mean then?

    Vista, Dec 3, 2006
  12. canon paora

    Vista Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Wow!!! It's been seven minutes since I was last disconnected! (I type
    >> slowly when I haven't had my second coffee)

    > LOL, wouldn't you know it? I hit "send' and the amber light was showing on
    > the router, another disconnect! Three in the time it took me to write and
    > post that message.
    >
    > Fun fun fun.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Just because it is happening to you, doesn't mean that everyone else is
    having the same problem. It could be many things that are causing the
    problem, that is isolated to your account.

    Vista, Dec 3, 2006
  13. canon paora

    Earl Grey Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > What does tonite mean then?

    Apparently it's an explosive

    Earl Grey, Dec 4, 2006
  14. canon paora

    Chris Lim Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    > > What does tonite mean then?

    > Apparently it's an explosive

    Oh no, I have explosives on my internet connection??? Will McAfee pick
    that up? :)

    Chris Lim, Dec 4, 2006
  15. canon paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > My advice to anyone who wants to use their connection for anything
    > > other than email and nesgroups is don't Go Large. However, if you
    > > only want email

    > What, based on your unusual circumstances? I'm on Go Large (with Xtra)
    > and don't have the connection drops you mention. I mainly use it for
    > torrents, which works reasonably well. Should I switch to something
    > else, since your connection keeps dropping?

    Put simply, as it seems that there are some comprehension-challenged people
    here (or Telecom/Xtra shills):

    Before I changed to Go Large my connection was just fine. Not prefect but
    satisfactory. Since I've been on Go Large I can no longer do anything that I
    couldn't do on dial-up.

    This is in my experience and may not apply to everyone.

    BTW Chris, just what's "unusual" about my circumstances?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2006
  16. canon paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >
    > > > Wow!!! It's been seven minutes since I was last disconnected! (I
    > > > type slowly when I haven't had my second coffee)

    > > LOL, wouldn't you know it? I hit "send' and the amber light was
    > > showing on the router, another disconnect! Three in the time it
    > > took me to write and post that message.
    > >
    > > Fun fun fun.
    > > --
    > > Shaun.
    > >

    > Just because it is happening to you, doesn't mean that everyone else
    > is having the same problem.

    I thought that was rather obvious. I'll write on a primary-school level in
    future if it'll help you.

    > It could be many things that are causing
    > the problem, that is isolated to your account.

    Yet "my account" worked perfectly with Actrix' Cyberjet plan. Yeah, you're
    right, it's nothing to do with Xtra and Go Large.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2006
  17. canon paora

    Chris Lim Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Put simply, as it seems that there are some comprehension-challenged people
    > here (or Telecom/Xtra shills):
    >
    > Before I changed to Go Large my connection was just fine. Not prefect but
    > satisfactory. Since I've been on Go Large I can no longer do anything that I
    > couldn't do on dial-up.
    >
    > This is in my experience and may not apply to everyone.

    Yet your advice to people was to not go on the Go Large plan, as if to
    imply your experience with them is typical.

    > BTW Chris, just what's "unusual" about my circumstances?

    I have yet to hear anybody else have the high frequency of disconnects
    as you.

    Chris Lim, Dec 4, 2006
  18. canon paora

    Chris Lim Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > It could be many things that are causing
    > > the problem, that is isolated to your account.

    > Yet "my account" worked perfectly with Actrix' Cyberjet plan. Yeah, you're
    > right, it's nothing to do with Xtra and Go Large.

    Nobody said it wasn't anything to do with Xtra and Go Large. But if
    you're the only one with the problem, then it's likely to be related to
    your account as well. If the problem you're having was reported by many
    users on Go Large, then yes the advice to steer clear of Xtra's Go
    Large plan would be reasonable.

    It's like me buying a can of Coke and finding it leaks. I wouldn't go
    around recommending people avoid Coke, unless I thought it was a common
    problem with other cans of Coke rather than just the one I bought.

    Chris Lim, Dec 4, 2006
  19. canon paora

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    > > Vista wrote:
    > > > What does tonite mean then?

    > > Apparently it's an explosive

    > Oh no, I have explosives on my internet connection??? Will McAfee pick
    > that up? :)

    Yeah, just as I thought, the tone of some of the previous posts reflects the
    intellect of (some of) the posters in this thread. Focus on the spelling of
    a word and ignore the content of the OP. Maybe you guys would find more
    satisfaction posting in nz.general? Or is the competition for village idiot
    too fierce there?

    Seems there's a bit of a trend of diversionary tactics going on when someone
    brings up a legitimate concern over Go Large/Xtra. Any of you shareholders?
    Employees?

    Watch out for the DSL Karma Faerie.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2006
  20. canon paora

    Chris Lim Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Yeah, just as I thought, the tone of some of the previous posts reflects the
    > intellect of (some of) the posters in this thread. Focus on the spelling of
    > a word and ignore the content of the OP. Maybe you guys would find more
    > satisfaction posting in nz.general? Or is the competition for village idiot
    > too fierce there?

    Poor diddums.

    Chris Lim, Dec 4, 2006