    SP....lens for my 10D

    Thanx,
    Mark

    Mark C, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Mark C

    Kenwood Guest

    Some lenses are better than others.

    Try www.photodo.com for laboratory lens tests and results.

    Kenwood, Oct 1, 2003

  3. "Mark C" <> wrote in message news:<blf88p$c00of$-berlin.de>...
    > Is one considered superior to the other, in general?

    You cannot be serious.

    Michael Scarpitti, Oct 2, 2003
  4. Mark C

    Frank ess Guest

    > > Is one considered superior to the other, in general?

    > You cannot be serious.

    Thank you for the helpful remark.

    'Bye.

    Frank ess, Oct 2, 2003
  5. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Is it so f%&k'n hard for some of you snobs to answer a simple question?

    Whatever happened to...."....if you don't have anything nice to say...don't
    say anything at all".

    To all the "know it alls" out there.......remember you were once at the
    bottom end of the learning curve.....

    Now can somebody answer my question?

    How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    Mark C, Oct 2, 2003
  6. > How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    It's spelled "Tamron" and they're both pieces of shit.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 2, 2003
  7. Mark C

    FOR7b Guest

    >Is it so f%&k'n hard for some of you snobs to answer a simple question?
    >
    >Whatever happened to...."....if you don't have anything nice to say...don't
    >say anything at all".
    >
    >To all the "know it alls" out there.......remember you were once at the
    >bottom end of the learning curve.....
    >
    >Now can somebody answer my question?
    >
    >How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    As with any of the camera brand lenses it depends on each individual lens and
    lens categories. Tokina's high end is the ATX line and I believe Tamron also
    has a high end line too. The best of each brand at that level is generally
    cheaper than the camera brands at similar levels and sometimes much cheaper but
    again the ultimate quality still depends on each lens. I had a Tokina 28-70 2.8
    ATX lens that was extremely sharp and extremely well made . It was an
    impressively built solid hunk of metal and it was a bit sharper than the Canon
    28-135IS lens I had, which is a very sharp lens too. Your best bet is to try
    and find reviews on individual lenses from magazines, web sites, and users and
    make up your mind that way. One thing, ignore the people that will have nothing
    to do with other than the camera brand lenses. They talk from the heart and not
    from the head.

    FOR7b, Oct 2, 2003
  8. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Thank you!!!!

    Mark C, Oct 2, 2003
  9. Mark C

    Crownfield Guest

    Mark C wrote:

    > Is it so f%&k'n hard for some of you snobs to answer a simple question?
    >
    > Whatever happened to...."....if you don't have anything nice to say...don't
    > say anything at all".
    >
    > To all the "know it alls" out there.......remember you were once at the
    > bottom end of the learning curve.....
    >
    > Now can somebody answer my question?
    >
    > How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    do you mean Tamron?

    Crownfield, Oct 2, 2003
  10. "Mark C" <> writes:
    >Is it so f%&k'n hard for some of you snobs to answer a simple question?

    When you ask an unanswerable question, yes.

    >Whatever happened to...."....if you don't have anything nice to say...don't
    >say anything at all".

    But you're complaining that nobody is answering. Do you want people to
    reply, or not?

    >Now can somebody answer my question?
    >How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    There is no correct answer to your question. You want someone to say
    either "Tamron is better" or "Tokina is better", but neither of those is
    true. I believe that there are, or were, Tamron lenses that were
    actually *made* by Tokina.

    For a specific pair of lenses, you might be able to ask and get opinions
    that mean something.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 2, 2003
  11. "Mark C" <> writes:

    > How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    There is a review of the Tokina 280AF at
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/tokina/atx_280_2.html

    At
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resou...M100AF/Tokina_AT-X_M100AF_1.html#tokina_story
    there is a statement that Tokina was started by former Nikon optical
    engineers who wanted to concentrate on zoom lens design.

    The author does not compare the lenses to Tamron, but to Nikon.

    Phil Stripling, Oct 2, 2003
  12. Mark C

    germano Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message news:<blf88p$c00of$-berlin.de>...
    > Is one considered superior to the other, in general?
    >
    > I am looking at the Tamaron AF2.8 28 to 75mm LDXR Aspherical
    > SP....lens for my 10D
    >
    > Thanx,
    > Mark

    Dear Mark,why do you not see at new Sigma 28-70 2,8/4 high speed
    aspher.?
    It's a bomb. High performance resolution in center ,lowest price(in
    Italy,150 euros),weight 250 gr. The test is on "tutti fotografi"
    review of june 2003.
    Have only a distortion's problem at wide corner's but sensor of 10d is
    27 mm ,not 43.......
    hi
    Germano

    germano, Oct 2, 2003
  13. Mark C

    W6DKN Guest

    Mark C wrote:
    > Is it so f%&k'n hard for some of you snobs to answer a simple
    > question?
    >
    > Whatever happened to...."....if you don't have anything nice to
    > say...don't say anything at all".
    >
    > To all the "know it alls" out there.......remember you were once at
    > the bottom end of the learning curve.....
    >
    > Now can somebody answer my question?
    >
    > How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    The best advice is to stick with the name brand lenses (Nikkor, Canon,
    etc.) if you can afford them. Your images will be of much higher quality if
    you do.

    That said, If you spend the money for third party top line lenses, a few
    Tamron SP lenses are very good (like the AF 24-135 SP and the 90mm SP
    Macro)

    But if you're talking about Tamron or Tokina consumer grade (under $300)
    glass, then Tokina would be the better choice overall. For example, the
    Tokina AF 24-200 ATX is optically and build quality wise the best "super
    zoom" around, including those made by the "Name Brands".

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?J63D53516

    And the Tokina AF 19-35 ($180) compares very well against the more
    expensive Sigma 15-30 ($500) and the Canon 17-40 L ($800) ...

    http://www.tawbaware.com/sigma_tokina_ultra_wide_test.htm

    http://www.canonians.com/wideanglecompare.htm

    = Dan =

    W6DKN, Oct 2, 2003
  14. Mark C

    FOR7b Guest

    >The best advice is to stick with the name brand lenses (Nikkor, Canon,
    >etc.) if you can afford them. Your images will be of much higher quality if
    >you do.

    >= Dan =

    Nonsense. All the camera manufacturers make mediorce, good, and oustanding
    lenses, including the non camera manufacturers like Tokina and Tamron. Your
    experience with different lenses must be limited to make such a statement.

    FOR7b, Oct 3, 2003
  15. Mark C

    Harry Owen Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:28:47 -0500, Mark C wrote:

    > How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    I have no personal experience of either the Canon 10D or the Tamron and
    Tokina range used with that particular camera.

    Try this link which will take you to the Canon 10D forum on DPreview:-

    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1019

    Either do a search on Tamron and then one on Tokina there are numerous
    postings relating to them, you could also post your question on there as
    well.

    Cheers - Harry

    Harry Owen, Oct 3, 2003
  16. Mark C

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:28:47 -0500, "Mark C" <> wrote:

    >Is it so f%&k'n hard for some of you snobs to answer a simple question?
    >
    >Whatever happened to...."....if you don't have anything nice to say...don't
    >say anything at all".
    >
    >To all the "know it alls" out there.......remember you were once at the
    >bottom end of the learning curve.....
    >
    >Now can somebody answer my question?
    >
    >How does Tamaron Lenses stack up against Tokina?

    There are indeed lots of snobs out here.

    Even so, your question is rather a silly one.
    There is no proper answer.

    There are several web sites comparing lenses.
    Here are a couple:

    http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm
    http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

    The value of these ratings is hotly debated. Some
    claim that there's too much variability between any
    two samples of any given lens. And you can easily
    imagine that this is more true for the third-party brands
    than the "pro" lines from Canon, Nikon, etc.

    It's a roundabout way of answering your question but
    I'll tell you that one of my all-time favorite and most-used
    35 mm lenses is a cheap no-name 28-70 f/28 zoom.
    It's not even a Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Quantaray,
    Vivitar, Soligor, Kiron or any of those. Set me back
    $150 about 20 years ago and still going strong, and I've
    surely netted a few thousand $ from the photos I've
    taken with it. Here's a couple of pictures of the lens --
    maybe one of the gearheads on this NG can identify it.

    http://www.terrapinphoto.com/28_70_zoom2.jpg
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com/28_70_zoom3.jpg

    And then I will happily tell you: I recently purchased
    a Canon 17-40 L zoom (an $800 lens) and have no
    trouble admitting that it is quite likely the sharpest
    lens in my collection. Twenty years ago, I could not
    have imagined paying that kind of money for a lens.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Oct 3, 2003
  17. > Nonsense. All the camera manufacturers make mediorce, good, and oustanding
    > lenses, including the non camera manufacturers like Tokina and Tamron. Your
    > experience with different lenses must be limited to make such a statement.

    You're full of shit. I would never even consider buying a
    non-manufacturer lens for any camera. But since you're an AOL'er, I
    wouldn't expect you to have much common sense.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 3, 2003
  18. Mark C

    Crownfield Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > > Nonsense. All the camera manufacturers make mediorce, good, and oustanding
    > > lenses, including the non camera manufacturers like Tokina and Tamron. Your
    > > experience with different lenses must be limited to make such a statement.

    > You're full of shit.

    apparently not true.

    based on published lens tests,
    he is right,
    and you are wrong.

    Crownfield, Oct 3, 2003
  19. > apparently not true.

    > based on published lens tests,
    > he is right,
    > and you are wrong.

    Tests don't mean shit. Stop reading Popular Photography and think for
    yourself. My comments are (always) based on real world experience.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 3, 2003
  20. Mark C

    dslr Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > > apparently not true.
    > >
    > > based on published lens tests,
    > > he is right,
    > > and you are wrong.

    > Tests don't mean shit. Stop reading Popular Photography and think for
    > yourself. My comments are (always) based on real world experience.

    .... of every lens made by every manufacturer?
    I don't think so.

    --
    regards,
    dslr