  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Anyone got any comments on tokina lenses for a dslr, thanks.

    Paul, Oct 19, 2004

  2. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:41750405$0$44851$...
    > Anyone got any comments on tokina lenses for a dslr, thanks.

    Over the years, I've owned 5 different Tokina lenses, all with
    the "AT-X" or "AT-X pro" designation. I still own three of them.
    They shared a number of traits. All were solidly built, all felt
    great under hand, all are somewhat prone to flare, and none came
    with a decent hood. Optical performance ranged from OK (24-40
    f/2.8, 28-70 f/2.6~2.8) through Very Good (20-35mm f/2.8, 80-200
    f/2.8) to superb (90mm f/2.5 Macro).

    Earlier this month, Tokina did announce their first "DX"
    lens. Unlike other third party lens makers, though, they haven't
    been announcing new versions of old designs for use with digital
    SLR's. I did lend my 20-35mm to a Nikon D100 owner, who seemed
    pleased with the resulting shots.

    Which lens did you have in mind?

    --
    Michael Benveniste --

    Michael Benveniste, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    > Which lens did you have in mind?

    Thanks for the reply, I am thinking of one of three at the moment, 20-35mm
    f2.8 or 28-70mm f2.8 or 19-35mm f3.5-4.5, which one would you prefer, thanks
    again.

    Paul, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Paul

    BG250 Guest

    I've had a couple teles, a 300 f/4 and a 400 f/5.6 at-x apo. Very good image
    quality for the money. These were solidly built (no plastics) but heavy.
    Autofocus was not fast or quiet as many Canon lenses.

    Even an old early 90's AF lens functioned properly on my dRebel. Try that
    with a Sigma.
    bg

    BG250, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Paul

    chidalgo Guest

    Paul escribio:

    > Anyone got any comments on tokina lenses for a dslr, thanks.

    Got an ATX-Pro (28-70mm) on Nikon's DSLR. Good image for a off-brand
    zoom, very good build! (i smashed the lens into a wall (don't ask why :)
    ), and still working! :-D

    --
    chidalgo

    chidalgo, Oct 19, 2004
  6. On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:53:16 +0100, "Paul" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply, I am thinking of one of three at the moment, 20-35mm
    >f2.8 or 28-70mm f2.8 or 19-35mm f3.5-4.5, which one would you prefer, thanks
    >again.

    Since I've never touched a 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5, I can't say too much
    about it. The 20-35mm f/2.8 is a nice lens, but on a dSLR with an
    APS-sized sensor you end up with a fairly boring focal range.

    I believe the current 28-70mm f/2.8 has the same optics as my older
    model. Wide open on a film SLR, it's decidedly soft in the corners.
    With an APS-sized sensor this is less of an issue, and the lens
    covers the normal and portrait ranges nicely. However, since it was
    introduced the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 has been getting consistently
    better reviews. I do know that the last time I was dragged off for
    family portraits, the pro used the Tamron on a D60.

    --
    Michael Benveniste --

    Michael Benveniste, Oct 20, 2004
  7. Paul

    DM Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:<41750405$0$44851$>...
    > Anyone got any comments on tokina lenses for a dslr, thanks.

    I once had a 28-80 /2.8 ATX Pro for a week and promptly returned it.
    The stupid thing would always front focus and was soft even with manual
    focus, unless stopped down to f/5.6. Probably a bum lens. It was build
    like a tank, but the optics probably came from the same company which
    makes coke bottles. I once used their 100 (or was it 105mm) macro lens
    which was very good. However the tamron 90 proved to be better. Frankly
    I have never used a tokina lens whose optics were great compared to the
    competition.

    DM, Oct 20, 2004