Tokina lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bravo Two Zero, May 16, 2007.

  1. Any comments on tokina lens ? Overall quality etc...

    Thanks
    Bravo Two Zero, May 16, 2007

  2. Bravo Two Zero

    Roy G Guest

    "Bravo Two Zero" <> wrote in message
    news:Y6y2i.277045$...
    > Any comments on tokina lens ? Overall quality etc...
    >
    > Thanks

    Overall, not great.

    Roy G
    Roy G, May 16, 2007

  3. Bravo Two Zero

    Pete D Guest

    > Any comments on tokina lens ? Overall quality etc...
    >
    > Thanks

    They have some very desirable lenses, they also have quite a number that you
    do not want. Which one in particular?
    Pete D, May 16, 2007
  4. Bravo Two Zero <> wrote:
    > Any comments on tokina lens ? Overall quality etc...

    Which one?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 16, 2007
  5. Bravo Two Zero

    Joan Guest

    I picked up a Tokina 12-24mm AF f/4 on Monday. Looks reasonable so
    far. A few shots taken yesterday on Flickr.

    --
    Joan

    : Any comments on tokina lens ? Overall quality etc...
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    :
    Joan, May 16, 2007
  6. Joan <2> wrote:
    > I picked up a Tokina 12-24mm AF f/4 on Monday. Looks reasonable so
    > far. A few shots taken yesterday on Flickr.

    I second the 12-24 lens, at least for the Nikon F mount. I also like the
    80-200 f/2.8 lens.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 16, 2007
  7. Bravo Two Zero

    Rutger Guest

    Rutger, May 16, 2007
  8. Bravo Two Zero wrote:
    > Any comments on tokina lens ? Overall quality etc...

    With every company these days, including Nikon and Canon, they make
    good lenses and bad, and the quality control seems to be better on some
    lenses than others.

    I've had their 28-70/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro since 1994 and it's been a
    first-rate lens. I've got their 12-24/4 for crop-factor DSLR bodies,
    and it's very nice indeed, and lots of other people seem to agree. I'm
    not so happy with their 80-200/2.8 that I've had since 1994, but I
    haven't actually replaced it yet either.

    In the mid to late 1980s there were people who thought Tokina was
    possibly the best designer of zoom lenses for 35mm cameras on the
    planet. I don't think there's much danger of that these days, because
    the body manufacturers have gotten serious about zooms.

    Tokina and Tamron are both top lens companies, but they both make models
    that aren't so good.
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 16, 2007
  9. Bravo Two Zero

    Rutger Guest

    Rutger, May 16, 2007
  10. David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:

    > I've had their 28-70/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro since 1994 and it's been a
    > first-rate lens. I've got their 12-24/4 for crop-factor DSLR bodies,
    > and it's very nice indeed, and lots of other people seem to agree. I'm
    > not so happy with their 80-200/2.8 that I've had since 1994, but I
    > haven't actually replaced it yet either.

    I believe they have updated the 80-200/2.8 a couple of times since you bought
    yours. What is it that you don't like about it anyway?

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 16, 2007
  11. Bravo Two Zero

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Joan <2> wrote:
    >I picked up a Tokina 12-24mm AF f/4 on Monday. Looks reasonable so
    >far. A few shots taken yesterday on Flickr.

    I've got that lens in a Canon mount. I love it.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, May 17, 2007
  12. Bravo Two Zero

    John Sheehy Guest

    "Rutger" <> wrote in

    >> Tokina and Tamron are both top lens companies, but they both make
    >> models that aren't so good.

    > As does Canon for instance. They had a really lousy plasticy series of
    > lenses which got a 4 at fredmiranda and others.
    >
    > See:
    >
    > http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=7&sort=7&cat
    > =27&page=2
    >
    > So: brand delivers no certainty whatsoever. .

    Lens quality is usually more related to price than it is to brand, IMO.

    Yes, buying the the $200 dollar Toktamsina lens instead of the $400 Nikanon
    will most likely be less satisfactory, but the $450 Toktamsina may be more
    satisfactory than either.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    John Sheehy, May 17, 2007
  13. "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote in message
    > Bravo Two Zero <> wrote:
    >> Any comments on tokina lens ? Overall quality etc...
    >>

    > Which one?
    >
    > --
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse
    > Key Fingerprint: D281 77A5 63EE 82C5 5E68 00E4 7868 0ADC 4EFB 39F0

    I use the 28-70mm f2.8 AT-X, a really good lens that belies the price. I
    cannot believe this lens only cost me $ 219.00 new. The build quality is
    second to none. I also have the 24-200mm AT-X as a do-it-all walk-around.
    It's not bad at all. It certainly can't take the place of the Nikon
    18-200mm VR but it does a decent job. I have sued but don't own the 100mm
    macro AT-X, another really nice lens.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, May 17, 2007
  14. Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    >> I've had their 28-70/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro since 1994 and it's been a
    >> first-rate lens. I've got their 12-24/4 for crop-factor DSLR bodies,
    >> and it's very nice indeed, and lots of other people seem to agree. I'm
    >> not so happy with their 80-200/2.8 that I've had since 1994, but I
    >> haven't actually replaced it yet either.

    > I believe they have updated the 80-200/2.8 a couple of times since you bought
    > yours. What is it that you don't like about it anyway?

    Well, nothing that specific, which is why I haven't actually replaced
    it. Focus is not as fast as I'd like, and the shots seem a bit
    low-contrast to me. (As I say, mine is the 1994 version.)
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 17, 2007
  15. Bravo Two Zero

    Toby Guest

    The AT-X lenses are very good. I have a 150-500 5.6 which I love, and which
    performs as well, if not better, than my Nikkor IF ED 400mm 5.6

    Toby

    Toby, May 17, 2007