Token Ring Translation

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Roger, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Roger

    Roger Guest

    We have a Cisco 2600 supplied by our isp providing access to the
    internet.

    It has 2 interfaces Serial0 and TokenRing0

    Serial0 is 158.*.*.* address and Token Ring0 is 193.133.*.* address.

    We have a checkpoint firewall on Token Ring which then goes to a 3600
    router.

    for Token Ring translation into our corportate Ethernet lan.

    This all works fine, I have been tasked to put in a dirty internet
    connection for contractors plugging in beneath the isp router.

    I need to configure a 3600 for token ring translation I have set up
    the hardware and from my 3600 doing TR translation I can ping the
    internet. The address on the TR side of my 3600 is one of our reserved
    193.133 addresses.
    The rules on the isp router obviously let this through,

    When I plug a pc beneath the router on a 10.6.*.* address and ping the
    internet it won't jump the router and gets stuck.

    Is this because I am trying to pass a 10.6.** address to the internet-
    do i need to do some NAT - is the isp router blocking anything from
    10.6

    Is this a crazy idea - am I mad...

    Roger
    UK

    Roger, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Roger

    Aaron Woody Guest

    Roger,

    10.x.x.x is not routeable. if that is being passed to Internet it
    will fail. To verify I would turn off fast switching (no ip
    route-cache) on 3600 and debug packets to verify 10.x.x.x network is
    being oassed to Internet. If so, NAT is your solution.

    Aaron

    Aaron Woody, Oct 20, 2003