    work properly?

    Thanks!
    dubster3
    dubster3, Feb 24, 2007

  2. dubster3

    Guest

    On 24 Feb, 13:40, "dubster3" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
    > thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
    > However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
    > Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will

    I had always assumed that these devices had components in them
    to impedence match betweed the 150 ohm "IBM" cabling and the
    100 ohm UTP.

    Whether it will ever work without the matching I don't know.

    Also:-
    You say from "TR to RJ45". It will still be TR. Not sure if this is
    just
    slip or if you hope to convert from TR to Ethernet which needs
    quite a bit more than a few wires.

    Shame you didn't post to comp.dcom.lans.token-ring
    since it has been a few years since a real message
    was posted. There was a homework question last
    month though.
    , Feb 24, 2007

  3. dubster3

    kika Guest

    "dubster3" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
    > thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
    > However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
    > Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
    > work properly?

    I think those RJ-45 to DB-9-M are not what you think they are. Did you
    see anything on pccable.com to indicate that? I couldn't find any.

    I think these are meant to connect Cisco console ports to PCs.

    kika, Feb 24, 2007
  4. dubster3

    Thrill5 Guest

    Token-Ring can run on shielded or unshielded twisted-pair (UTP). Shielded
    cabling used different impedance and used different connecters than UTP.
    The standard DB9 on the Token-Ring card is to connect to shielded or UTP
    depending on which "dongle" you use. The "dongle" you bought allows you to
    connect to UTP cabling, it does NOT convert it to Ethernet, meaning you
    still need a Token-Ring hub/switch to connect the device to.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Feb 24, 2007
  5. "dubster3" <> writes:
    >I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
    >thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
    >However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
    >Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
    >work properly?

    Wow, why would anybody be messing with Token-Ring still?

    Going from the DB9 to RJ45 token ring was more than just an adapter,
    there was a balun and filter in each of them.

    But why are you messing with making something when token-ring media
    filter/adaptors are $0.99 on eBay?
    Doug McIntyre, Feb 24, 2007
  6. Doug McIntyre a écrit :
    > "dubster3" <> writes:
    >> I recenly bought some RJ-45 TO DB-9-M ADAPTERS from PCCABLES.COM INC.
    >> thining I could use these to convert from Token Ring to RJ-45.
    >> However, the wiring instructions on their site don't seem to work.
    >> Can anyone advise me on how to wire these little boogers so they will
    >> work properly?

    > Wow, why would anybody be messing with Token-Ring still?

    IBM still has a few mainframes here and there...

    Just a thought.
    --
    Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque | button on a cat who wants breakfast.
    Francois Labreque, Feb 27, 2007
  7. dubster3

    Neil Pike Guest

    And any of those bought in the last 10 years come with ethernet comms...

    > IBM still has a few mainframes here and there...
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Neil Pike
    Protech Computing Ltd
    Neil Pike, Mar 2, 2007