    Just the 2 pc's . I have cat5 x-over cable already.
    TIA
    Newt

    Newt, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Newt

    Mike Meyers Guest

    No. Your 3COM 10/100 card is actually an Ethernet 10BASETX network card. It
    may look the same as your token ring card - it will even use the same
    cabling - but they are actually very different.

    Mike

    Mike Meyers, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Newt

    Newt Guest

    Cheers Mike,

    I knew abouth the 3com being 10basetx but was curious as to whether I could
    mix them.

    What if I were to use 2 token ring cards, what then?

    I do have another 3com 10/100 card (3c509b combo ISA.) but have problems
    with it.

    Newt

    Newt, Jun 25, 2003
  4. Newt

    Newt Guest

    "Netwerkz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi - see below
    >
    > "Newt" <> wrote in message
    > > Cheers Mike,
    > >
    > > I knew abouth the 3com being 10basetx but was curious as to whether I

    > could
    > > mix them.
    > >
    > > What if I were to use 2 token ring cards, what then?
    > >
    > > I do have another 3com 10/100 card (3c509b combo ISA.) but have

    problems
    > > with it.
    > >
    > > Newt
    > >
    > > > No. Your 3COM 10/100 card is actually an Ethernet 10BASETX network

    card.
    > > It
    > > > may look the same as your token ring card - it will even use the same
    > > > cabling - but they are actually very different.
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > > >
    > > > "Newt" <> wrote in message

    other
    > pc

    > Token Ring works different than ethernet and using a crossover cable alone
    > between two PCs with token-ring cards in them won't work.
    >
    > You need a device (hub/mau) to provide the "token" for your two PCs with
    > token-ring cards to work.
    >
    > You can buy a token-ring hub off ebay cheap - IBM 8226's are the smallest

    > have seen.
    > You could also get a bridge or configure a router to bridge between
    > token/ether -
    > like a cisco 2513 or BayNetworks AN/ASN.
    >
    > You are better off just getting another working ethernet card and using

    your
    > crossover
    > cable though.

    Thx, I thought as much. the other ethernet card isny working and as I was
    given these two TokenRing cards, Well it was worth a try. I have learned
    something tho, which is good.
    Back to the old way then............

    Newt, Jun 26, 2003