Toilet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dwacon, Mar 6, 2005.

  1. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    Friend stopped by and used upstairs toilet in guest room. A few days after
    I went to guest room and heard noise... toilet was still running. Lifted
    tank and the flapper was up.

    I reset and flushed and it was okay... but a week later was doing
    housecleaning and used guest room crapper and after flushing noticed water
    still running after ½ hour.

    Can't see anything that makes flapper stay up... don't want to pay hundreds
    of dollars for a plumber. Wonder if maybe a jerryrig using a bulldog clip
    or two as a weight would help it fall consistently ??

    Thanks.

    --
    It rubs the lotion on its skin...
    Or else it gets the hose again...

    dwacon, Mar 6, 2005

  2. dwacon

    °Mike° Guest

    Get yourself a new rubber gasket for the valve. In the mean
    time, bend the flapper arm downwards, slightly.

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:35:15 -0500, in
    <_iGWd.49014$7z6.42963@lakeread04>
    dwacon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 6, 2005

  3. dwacon

    SgtMinor Guest

    dwacon wrote:
    > Friend stopped by and used upstairs toilet in guest room. A few days after
    > I went to guest room and heard noise... toilet was still running. Lifted
    > tank and the flapper was up.
    >
    > I reset and flushed and it was okay... but a week later was doing
    > housecleaning and used guest room crapper and after flushing noticed water
    > still running after ½ hour.
    >
    > Can't see anything that makes flapper stay up... don't want to pay hundreds
    > of dollars for a plumber. Wonder if maybe a jerryrig using a bulldog clip
    > or two as a weight would help it fall consistently ??
    >
    > Thanks.

    Except for those stupid 1.6 gal toilets, flaps are interchangeable,
    inexpensive, and easy DIY installs. When you install the new flap, be
    sure the mounting studs are properly oriented so that the flap is
    centered over the drain. You may want to run your finger over the drain
    pipe that the flap must seal, and if you feel any minerals encrusted
    around the drain be sure to clean them off.

    When you're done, add some food coloring to the tank water. If you
    don't have a proper seal the colored water will show up in the toilet.

    SgtMinor, Mar 6, 2005
  4. dwacon

    Plato Guest

    dwacon wrote:

    > Friend stopped by and used upstairs toilet in guest room. A few days after
    > I went to guest room and heard noise... toilet was still running. Lifted
    > tank and the flapper was up.

    The flappers are easily replaced and cheap. You may have to try a few
    types/brands tho to find one that works correctly.

    Plato, Mar 7, 2005