    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007

  2. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:58:55 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
    > today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
    > bet for them.
    >
    > Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
    > money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
    >
    > BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
    > don't know.

    Full name of that horse is Numbersixvalverde BTW.

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007

  3. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:10:38 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:58:55 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
    >> today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
    >> bet for them.
    >>
    >> Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
    >> money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
    >>
    >> BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
    >> don't know.
    >>

    > Full name of that horse is Numbersixvalverde BTW.

    2007 John Smith's Grand National.

    Winners and prices as follows:

    1. Silver Birch 33-1

    2. McKelvey 12-1

    3. Slim Pickings 33-1

    4. Philson Run 100-1

    Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
    £12.50. Oh well.

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007
  4. Aardvark wrote:

    > 2007 John Smith's Grand National.
    >
    > Winners and prices as follows:
    >
    > 1. Silver Birch 33-1
    >
    > 2. McKelvey 12-1
    >
    > 3. Slim Pickings 33-1
    >
    > 4. Philson Run 100-1
    >
    > Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
    > £12.50. Oh well.

    I think they should rename this "The Long Shot National". :)

    What did they do, give all the favorites horsey downers?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2007
  5. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:57:45 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> 2007 John Smith's Grand National.
    >>
    >> Winners and prices as follows:
    >>
    >> 1. Silver Birch 33-1
    >>
    >> 2. McKelvey 12-1
    >>
    >> 3. Slim Pickings 33-1
    >>
    >> 4. Philson Run 100-1
    >>
    >> Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
    >> £12.50. Oh well.

    > I think they should rename this "The Long Shot National". :)
    >
    > What did they do, give all the favorites horsey downers?

    You've obviously nrver seen the National, mate. Today there were 40
    starters of which only 13 finished. That's yer average Grand National.
    They run twice round Aintree racecourse over six-foot fences, water-jumps
    and all sorts of frightening obstacles. A total of 4 miles and 4 furlongs
    of sheer hell for the horses.

    Don't often get a winner with odds shorter than about 8-1 or 9-1, except
    maybe when Red Rum was running in the seventies.

    If you want to watch the National in 2005, check out the following:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GnA3Q3z9ZPY

    Enjoy mate.

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007
  6. Aardvark wrote:

    >Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
    >today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
    >bet for them.
    >
    >Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
    >money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
    >
    >BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
    >don't know.

    Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
    controllable variables.

    If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
    favor the house the least).
    Milhouse Van Houten, Apr 14, 2007
  7. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:50:08 -0500, Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >>Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
    >>today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
    >>bet for them.
    >>
    >>Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
    >>money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
    >>
    >>BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
    >>don't know.
    >>

    > Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
    > controllable variables.

    Not in the UK. It's very closely monitored and must conform to stringent
    rules. Bookmakers shops are numerous as off-track has been allowed in this
    country since 1961, and must operate within the laws governing gambling.

    > If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
    > favor the house the least).

    Always liked blackjack. Played a lot of pontoon at school too.

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007
  8. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:57:45 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Aardvark wrote:
    >>
    >>> 2007 John Smith's Grand National.
    >>>
    >>> Winners and prices as follows:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Silver Birch 33-1
    >>>
    >>> 2. McKelvey 12-1
    >>>
    >>> 3. Slim Pickings 33-1
    >>>
    >>> 4. Philson Run 100-1
    >>>
    >>> Funny thing is I was tempted earlier to back Philson Run. Would've won
    >>> £12.50. Oh well.

    >> I think they should rename this "The Long Shot National". :)
    >>
    >> What did they do, give all the favorites horsey downers?

    > You've obviously nrver seen the National, mate. Today there were 40

    Nope. Don't even know what country it's in.

    > starters of which only 13 finished. That's yer average Grand National.

    That's no horse race. That's an Iron Man Triathlon for horses. (I
    wrote "Iron Horse Triathlon", but that sounded like a locomotive event.)

    > They run twice round Aintree racecourse over six-foot fences, water-jumps
    > and all sorts of frightening obstacles. A total of 4 miles and 4 furlongs
    > of sheer hell for the horses.

    What, the night before the race a bunch of pranksters sneak in and put
    all those things in the way? Do you have people stationed around the
    course whose job is to shoot at them, too? :)

    > Don't often get a winner with odds shorter than about 8-1 or 9-1, except
    > maybe when Red Rum was running in the seventies.

    Ah. I'm used to civilized USan horse racing. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2007
  9. Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >>Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
    >>today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
    >>bet for them.
    >>
    >>Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
    >>money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
    >>
    >>BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
    >>don't know.

    > Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
    > controllable variables.
    >
    > If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
    > favor the house the least).

    No way. I'll stick to the ponies, where I get inside information from
    Uncle Vito the Shark.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2007
  10. Aardvark wrote:

    >On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:50:08 -0500, Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
    >
    >> Aardvark wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just been the bookies to put the family's bets on for the Grand National
    >>>today. Everyone in the family picks a horse and I put on a 50p each way
    >>>bet for them.
    >>>
    >>>Just wondering which horse anyone else has backed (or just fancies). My
    >>>money is on last year's winner, Valverdi.
    >>>
    >>>BTW the race is at 4.15 GMT at Aintree racecourse Liverpool for those who
    >>>don't know.
    >>>

    >> Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
    >> controllable variables.
    >>

    >Not in the UK. It's very closely monitored and must conform to stringent
    >rules. Bookmakers shops are numerous as off-track has been allowed in this
    >country since 1961, and must operate within the laws governing gambling.

    In the US I've heard too many stories about the Mafia threaten owners
    and jockeys.

    >> If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
    >> favor the house the least).

    >Always liked blackjack. Played a lot of pontoon at school too.

    Never heard of pontoon. What is that?
    Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Apr 14, 2007
  11. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:57:14 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> You've obviously nrver seen the National, mate. Today there were 40

    > Nope. Don't even know what country it's in.

    One of the most famous horse races in the world and you don't know what
    country it's run in, even though I said it was run at Aintree in Liverpool?
    Ever see the first film Elizabeth Taylor made (co-starring Mickey Rooney)
    when she was first evacuated to Hollywood in 1940-something? Called
    'National Velvet', all about the Grand National.

    >> starters of which only 13 finished. That's yer average Grand National.

    > That's no horse race. That's an Iron Man Triathlon for horses. (I
    > wrote "Iron Horse Triathlon", but that sounded like a locomotive event.)
    >
    >> They run twice round Aintree racecourse over six-foot fences, water-jumps
    >> and all sorts of frightening obstacles. A total of 4 miles and 4 furlongs
    >> of sheer hell for the horses.

    > What, the night before the race a bunch of pranksters sneak in and put
    > all those things in the way? Do you have people stationed around the
    > course whose job is to shoot at them, too? :)

    :)

    >> Don't often get a winner with odds shorter than about 8-1 or 9-1, except
    >> maybe when Red Rum was running in the seventies.

    > Ah. I'm used to civilized USan horse racing. ;)

    Don't you have a flat season and a jumps season in the US? The National is
    the last big over-the-sticks of the season. Now for the flat racing.....

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007
  12. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:59:19 -0500, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >>> Horse racing is rigged, controlled by organized crime. Too many
    >>> controllable variables.
    >>>

    >>Not in the UK. It's very closely monitored and must conform to stringent
    >>rules. Bookmakers shops are numerous as off-track has been allowed in this
    >>country since 1961, and must operate within the laws governing gambling.
    >>

    > In the US I've heard too many stories about the Mafia threaten owners
    > and jockeys.

    The powers-that-be in horse racing in the UK wouldn't be too happy if a
    jockey were to throw a race and be discovered. Ain't no mafia here though

    >>> If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
    >>> favor the house the least).

    >>Always liked blackjack. Played a lot of pontoon at school too.

    > Never heard of pontoon. What is that?

    Well, if you know blackjack, you'll pick up pontoon easily enough. I was
    in my forties before I learned to play blackjack although I'd played
    pontoon countless times.

    http://www.pagat.com/banking/pontoon.html

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007
  13. Aardvark wrote:

    >Well, if you know blackjack, you'll pick up pontoon easily enough. I was
    >in my forties before I learned to play blackjack although I'd played
    >pontoon countless times.
    >
    >http://www.pagat.com/banking/pontoon.html

    That sounds fun. The Five Card Trick is akin to going 'low' in
    spades..

    I like that.
    Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, Apr 14, 2007
  14. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:58:24 -0500, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:

    > That sounds fun. The Five Card Trick is akin to going 'low' in
    > spades..
    >
    > I like that.

    My uncle Joe was in the British army when I was 8. He was on leave (he was
    serving in Aden at the time, during the emergency there, so that dates it)
    once and he taught me and my brothers how to play pontoon and gave me a
    Hohner harmonica he'd bought in Germany which I later taught myself to
    play. Since then I've always had a harmonica, although I only rarely give
    it a toot these days. I've taught my two lads to play pontoon but woe
    betide them if either touches my harmonica.:)

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007
  15. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:57:14 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >

    >>> You've obviously nrver seen the National, mate. Today there were 40

    >> Nope. Don't even know what country it's in.
    >>

    > One of the most famous horse races in the world and you don't know
    > what country it's run in, even though I said it was run at Aintree in
    > Liverpool?

    Did you say "Liverpool" before I responded? If you plugged it in later,
    I'm no mind reader. Mind reading skills aren't mentioned on the
    application for membership in the group. :)

    > Ever see the first film Elizabeth Taylor made (co-starring Mickey
    > Rooney) when she was first evacuated to Hollywood in 1940-something?
    > Called 'National Velvet', all about the Grand National.

    Nope. I knew it was about one or more horses, though.

    IMDB shows her in four earlier films, albeit in two of those she's not
    credited.

    >>> starters of which only 13 finished. That's yer average Grand
    >>> National.

    >> That's no horse race. That's an Iron Man Triathlon for horses. (I
    >> wrote "Iron Horse Triathlon", but that sounded like a locomotive
    >> event.)
    >>
    >>> They run twice round Aintree racecourse over six-foot fences,
    >>> water-jumps and all sorts of frightening obstacles. A total of 4
    >>> miles and 4 furlongs of sheer hell for the horses.

    >> What, the night before the race a bunch of pranksters sneak in and
    >> put all those things in the way? Do you have people stationed around
    >> the course whose job is to shoot at them, too? :)
    >>

    >:)

    Notice I didn't take the easy way out and just suggest, "They Shoot
    Horses, Don't They?" :p

    >>> Don't often get a winner with odds shorter than about 8-1 or 9-1,
    >>> except maybe when Red Rum was running in the seventies.

    >> Ah. I'm used to civilized USan horse racing. ;)

    > Don't you have a flat season and a jumps season in the US? The
    > National is the last big over-the-sticks of the season. Now for the
    > flat racing.....

    They may have some obstacle stuff, but the only people that care are the
    people who go to polo matches and cat shows. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2007
  16. Apu Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:

    > In the US I've heard too many stories about the Mafia threaten owners
    > and jockeys.

    Jockeys are tiny people. Everything is a threat to jockeys. Parking
    meters threaten jockeys. Team mascots threaten jockeys. Double burgers
    threaten jockeys.

    >>> If you must gamble, go to a blackjack or craps table. (two games that
    >>> favor the house the least).

    >>Always liked blackjack. Played a lot of pontoon at school too.

    > Never heard of pontoon. What is that?

    Probably a local spelling of "poon tang"...

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2007
  17. Aardvark wrote:

    > The powers-that-be in horse racing in the UK wouldn't be too happy if a
    > jockey were to throw a race and be discovered. Ain't no mafia here though

    The powers-that-be in horse racing in the US wouldn't be too happy if a

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2007
  18. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:19:52 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Did you say "Liverpool" before I responded? If you plugged it in later,
    > I'm no mind reader. Mind reading skills aren't mentioned on the
    > application for membership in the group. :)

    No mind-reading required, mate. Just an ability to read the last sentence
    (beginning 'BTW') in my OP :)

    An afterthought, admittedly, but not too late for the first response. :)

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007
  19. Aardvark wrote:

    > My uncle Joe was in the British army when I was 8. He was on leave (he was
    > serving in Aden at the time, during the emergency there, so that dates it)
    > once and he taught me and my brothers how to play pontoon and gave me a
    > Hohner harmonica he'd bought in Germany which I later taught myself to
    > play. Since then I've always had a harmonica, although I only rarely give
    > it a toot these days. I've taught my two lads to play pontoon but woe
    > betide them if either touches my harmonica.:)

    Blinky used to have a Hohner Marine Band harmonica. Don't know what
    happened to it. Got a Lee Oskar, now.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 14, 2007
  20. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:21:41 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Apu Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:
    >
    >> In the US I've heard too many stories about the Mafia threaten owners
    >> and jockeys.

    > Jockeys are tiny people. Everything is a threat to jockeys. Parking
    > meters threaten jockeys. Team mascots threaten jockeys. Double burgers
    > threaten jockeys.

    Ever watch them running from their shadows just before the sun goes down? :)

    >>>Always liked blackjack. Played a lot of pontoon at school too.

    >> Never heard of pontoon. What is that?

    > Probably a local spelling of "poon tang"...

    Nah, poon tang's a different kettle of fish. :)

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2007