Today's Brooklyn Camera Dealer Pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Wiss, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    Another decent weather day for a bike ride. This time I started off in the
    Williamsburg direction. First stop was:

    Avis Sales Corp., also d.b.a. Delta International, Delta Jewelry and
    Jewelry Discount Boutique
    344 Marcy Ave.
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0073.htm
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0074.htm
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0075.htm

    Then a stop at one of the addresses for:
    ADAR Import Distributing Corp., d.b.a. ElectronicsEMall
    130 North 4th St.
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0071.htm

    But they moved. So I headed over to their new location at:
    395 Johnson Ave.
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0072.htm

    Knowing that the places I photographed on Saturday would be open on Sunday
    I headed over towards Borough Park. I got the a shutter up at:

    Buy Camera 4 Less Inc., d.b.a. Focus On Digital
    155 E. 3rd St.
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0068.htm

    I then headed to:
    Buy Rite Electronics, Inc.
    5014 16th Ave., Suite #118

    But I arrived at 3:00 PM, just as he was closing up. So no new picture for
    there. I still need to figure out just where these people actually do their
    business out of...

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Nov 23, 2003

  2. I know some of these places look terrible, but looks aside running a mail order
    business one does not need more than a garage, a phone and computer, a UPS
    account, and someone to pack and ship. My first inclination when looking at
    these places is to think they must be bad places to do business. On the other
    hand the reason their prices are often so low is the lack of overhead -
    including high priced real estate and a lot of well dressed sales people . I
    know many are shady - advertising very low prices then refusing to sell unless
    you purchase some over priced accessories. Is there a place where they are
    rated by their business practices?? That would really be useful.

    Frank Rome, NY

    Frank Calidonna, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Don Wiss

    Mark Johnson Guest

    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

    >Another decent weather day for a bike ride. This time I started off in the
    >Williamsburg direction. First stop was:

    >Buy Camera 4 Less Inc., d.b.a. Focus On Digital
    >155 E. 3rd St.
    >http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0068.htm

    >I then headed to:
    >Buy Rite Electronics, Inc.
    >5014 16th Ave., Suite #118

    >But I arrived at 3:00 PM, just as he was closing up. So no new picture for
    >there. I still need to figure out just where these people actually do their
    >business out of...

    >Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    You see these advertize on ebay, I suppose, though I haven't seen
    Liquidator or 4 Less, of late (probably just changed to another name).
    But how do you tell the legit small shops, actual camera shops, even
    in Brooklyn or NY, from these mail drop operations (as they seem from
    your photos)? And what do you think ebay is pursuing in the matter, if
    anything?

    Mark Johnson, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Frank Calidonna <> wrote:

    >I know some of these places look terrible, but looks aside running a mail order
    >business one does not need more than a garage, a phone and computer, a UPS
    >account, and someone to pack and ship.

    They don't a UPS account or have to pack and ship. They have someone else
    drop ship for them. And I have no doubt that many of these places use
    http://www.zreiss.com/ to ship. See:

    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0013.htm
    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0064.htm
    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0065.htm

    http://www.photo.net/neighbor/one-subcategory?id=2
    http://www.resellerratings.com/
    http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/wchan/photo/survey.html
    http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessreports/Default.aspx

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Mark Johnson <> wrote:

    >Don Wiss wrote:
    >
    >>Another decent weather day for a bike ride. This time I started off in the
    >>Williamsburg direction. First stop was:

    >>Buy Camera 4 Less Inc., d.b.a. Focus On Digital
    >>155 E. 3rd St.
    >>http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0068.htm

    >>I then headed to:
    >>Buy Rite Electronics, Inc.
    >>5014 16th Ave., Suite #118

    >You see these advertize on ebay, I suppose, though I haven't seen
    >Liquidator or 4 Less, of late (probably just changed to another name).

    This is no longer in use:
    http://www.buycamera4less.com/

    They are now using:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/focusondigital/

    But what is strange is that yahoo web site calls themselves
    www.focusondigital.com. But if you go to that URL, it forwards to
    www.cameracanada.com. Which is in Ontario Canada.

    >But how do you tell the legit small shops, actual camera shops, even
    >in Brooklyn or NY, from these mail drop operations (as they seem from
    >your photos)?

    Well, my pictures cover all Brooklyn digital camera dealers that I know of.
    Some are legitimate dealers, and some like Focus have been around a long,
    long time in the photographic community. To tell who you should be dealing
    with I suggest resellerratings.com and some of the related sites. Watching
    discussion here dbuys.com appears to be okay. If you look at my pictures
    (under Central Digital) you will see they went from a storefront to a
    rather substantial warehouse.

    >And what do you think ebay is pursuing in the matter, if
    >anything?

    I know nothing about eBay. The only things I have bought there are used
    items being sold by individuals. I don't look to it as a place to buy new
    things.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Don,

    Thanks for the rating websites. A lot to look at, but very useful. Thanks again.

    Frank Rome, NY

    Frank Calidonna, Nov 24, 2003