Today was a good day...smartctl

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Long power outage last night, so had to look at one of my fileservers
    (the one not on the UPS) first thing this morning:

    smartctl version 5.33 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
    Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.
    Failed Attributes:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
    UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0009 001 085 051 Pre-fail
    Offline FAILING_NOW 8654

    SMART is great! Enough warning to make a right up to date backup, and
    recover pretty much all files that I don't bother backing up - lost
    about 4 files in all AFAICT. That drive has logged ~4000 errors to date.

    And the drive appears to be in warranty, too.

    So, now I've even started using SMART monitoring on my Windows systems
    (HDD Health is free).

    How do others here use smartctl to alert them when errors are reported?
    Are there any ready to use tools for the job?

    -=rjh=-, Jan 4, 2006

  2. -=rjh=-

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43bb7fd0$>, says...
    > Long power outage last night, so had to look at one of my fileservers
    > (the one not on the UPS) first thing this morning:

    What a strange coincidence. We had one phase knocked out for two days,
    UPS went flat and both servers shut down.

    Rob J, Jan 4, 2006

  3. -=rjh=-

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:49:42 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    >SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
    >Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.

    So did you leave it running, and did it die within 24 hours?

    Craig Shore, Jan 4, 2006
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:49:42 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >

    >>=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    >>SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
    >>Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.

    > So did you leave it running, and did it die within 24 hours?

    Yes, no. Still going, and still having problems with some files on it.
    Lucky they don't matter.

    I really don't see how any prediction could be done to the precision
    indicated; but at least it motivates you to sort the problem, which is
    the intention, I guess.

    Drive reports the same error when I use smartctl, although the attribute
    value does change:

    200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0009 001 085 051 Pre-fail
    Offline FAILING_NOW 8654

    200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0009 035 085 051 Pre-fail
    Offline FAILING_NOW 5312

    etc

    -=rjh=-, Jan 5, 2006