Today is a National Day of Infamy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    By Andy Martin
    July 1 2004

    "Today is a sad day for every American, The Microsoft monopoly, which taxes
    every American, has received yet another 'slap on the writ' from the Bush
    administration. It is a national day of infamy.

    "Microsoft sells bad code to consumers, but it also endangers our national
    security by selling defective products to the federal government. It will
    probably take another tragedy such as 9/11 to awaken the federal government
    to the risk posed by Microsoft's defective programs.

    "Each of us pays the 'Microsoft tax' directly or indirectly. When we buy a
    personal computer, we are forced to pay for a defective operating system.
    Time and time again Microsoft has disclosed security defects in its Windows
    operating system. It is a national joke. But we still are under orders, by
    directive of the federal courts, to pay tribute to Bill Gates. Our tax
    dollars are also used to subsidize the Microsoft monopoly.

    "I salute the Massachusetts Attorney General for challenging this outrage.
    That office fought the good fight. I also salute the European Union for
    challenging Microsoft and for refusing to buckle under to Bill Gates and
    his lap dogs in the U.S. Attorney General's office. The EU is the only hope
    for mankind when it comes to restraining Microsoft in the short term.

    "I make this safe, 'secure' prediction: Microsoft has not seen the last of
    the inside of American courtrooms. They will be back with new defective
    products, new monopolistic tactics, and new abuses. We are only in Round
    Two.

    "In Round One, way back in 1995, I was one of the first technology experts
    to respond to the original Microsoft 'settlement' by filing opposing
    comments with the Department of Justice, and by predicting Microsoft would
    break the law again and violate the settlement. I was right then. I am
    right now in predicting future abuses.

    "Every American is a Microsoft hostage. Luckily, the company is rapidly
    becoming its own worst enemy. Week after week, month after month, the
    endless defects in its products, 'security' gaps that have cost untold
    billions for consumers and businesses to remedy, alert us to the need for
    alternatives.

    "We can only hope and pray that the open source movement produces a
    competitive option such as a consumer-friendly version of Linux.
    Alternatively, I would not be surprised if competing code arises in China
    to challenge the Microsoft monster.

    "The Microsoft stooges in the Bush Justice Department have betrayed every
    American. Our court system has rubber-stamped this outrage. Americans will
    continue to suffer until relief finally appears ... "

    [Andy Martin, an adjunct professor of law, specializes in antitrust issues.
    He is also independent Contrarian Columnist and chief national and foreign
    correspondent for Out2.com.]

    TechNews, Jul 2, 2004

  2. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    TechNews <> wrote in

    > By Andy Martin
    > July 1 2004
    >
    > "Today is a sad day for every American, The Microsoft monopoly, which
    > taxes every American, has received yet another 'slap on the writ' from
    > the Bush administration. It is a national day of infamy.
    >
    > "Microsoft sells bad code to consumers, but it also endangers our
    > national security by selling defective products to the federal
    > government. It will probably take another tragedy such as 9/11 to
    > awaken the federal government to the risk posed by Microsoft's
    > defective programs.
    >
    > "Each of us pays the 'Microsoft tax' directly or indirectly. When we
    > buy a personal computer, we are forced to pay for a defective
    > operating system. Time and time again Microsoft has disclosed security
    > defects in its Windows operating system. It is a national joke. But we
    > still are under orders, by directive of the federal courts, to pay
    > tribute to Bill Gates. Our tax dollars are also used to subsidize the
    > Microsoft monopoly.
    >
    > "I salute the Massachusetts Attorney General for challenging this
    > outrage. That office fought the good fight. I also salute the European
    > Union for challenging Microsoft and for refusing to buckle under to
    > Bill Gates and his lap dogs in the U.S. Attorney General's office. The
    > EU is the only hope for mankind when it comes to restraining Microsoft
    > in the short term.
    >
    > "I make this safe, 'secure' prediction: Microsoft has not seen the
    > last of the inside of American courtrooms. They will be back with new
    > defective products, new monopolistic tactics, and new abuses. We are
    > only in Round Two.
    >
    > "In Round One, way back in 1995, I was one of the first technology
    > experts to respond to the original Microsoft 'settlement' by filing
    > opposing comments with the Department of Justice, and by predicting
    > Microsoft would break the law again and violate the settlement. I was
    > right then. I am right now in predicting future abuses.
    >
    > "Every American is a Microsoft hostage. Luckily, the company is
    > rapidly becoming its own worst enemy. Week after week, month after
    > month, the endless defects in its products, 'security' gaps that have
    > cost untold billions for consumers and businesses to remedy, alert us
    > to the need for alternatives.
    >
    > "We can only hope and pray that the open source movement produces a
    > competitive option such as a consumer-friendly version of Linux.
    > Alternatively, I would not be surprised if competing code arises in
    > China to challenge the Microsoft monster.
    >
    > "The Microsoft stooges in the Bush Justice Department have betrayed
    > every American. Our court system has rubber-stamped this outrage.
    > Americans will continue to suffer until relief finally appears ... "
    >
    > [Andy Martin, an adjunct professor of law, specializes in antitrust
    > issues. He is also independent Contrarian Columnist and chief national
    > and foreign correspondent for Out2.com.]

    <plonk> <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 2, 2004

  3. TechNews

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >| TechNews <> wrote in
    >|
    >| > By Andy Martin
    >| > July 1 2004
    >| >
    >| > "Today is a sad day for every American
    >|
    >| <plonk> <g>
    >|
    >| Duane :)

    You reposted his entire tirade just to say that? Geez!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2004
  4. TechNews

    ICee Guest

    TechNews wrote:
    > By Andy Martin

    <snip the drivel>

    Why don't you find another hobby. Maybe bungee jumping.

    <Quote>
    "Whether you call it Bungee, Bungy, Bunjee, Le Benji or Suicide
    Practice, Bungee Jumping is a growing sport."
    </Quote>
    http://www.bungeezone.com/

    ICee, Jul 2, 2004
  5. TechNews

    Pool Champ Guest

    > TechNews wrote:
    > > By Andy Martin

    > <snip the drivel>
    >
    > Why don't you find another hobby. Maybe bungee jumping.

    Without the elastic.

    Pool Champ, Jul 2, 2004
  6. TechNews

    ICee Guest

    Pool Champ wrote:
    >> TechNews wrote:
    >>> By Andy Martin

    >> <snip the drivel>
    >>
    >> Why don't you find another hobby. Maybe bungee jumping.
    >>

    > Without the elastic.

    LOL Exactly what I was thinking. :)

    ICee, Jul 2, 2004
  7. TechNews

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >| > Without the elastic.
    >|
    >| LOL Exactly what I was thinking. :)

    Common rope? Around the neck instead of the foot?

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2004
  8. TechNews

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>| TechNews <> wrote in

    >>| <plonk> <g>
    >>|
    >>| Duane :)

    > You reposted his entire tirade just to say that? Geez!

    My bad!

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 2, 2004
  9. TechNews

    ICee Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> LOL Exactly what I was thinking. :)

    > Common rope? Around the neck instead of the foot?

    That will do nicely, too. :)

    ICee, Jul 2, 2004
  10. Duane Arnold wrote:

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >

    >>"Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    >>You reposted his entire tirade just to say that? Geez!
    >>

    > My bad!
    >
    > Duane :)

    Hey Duane, I see your posts over in the wireless group. Don't worry
    about penisless whiners in this group, they're a dime a gig.

    --
    I don't mean to include Miggsee in the "penisless group" jab.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 2, 2004
  11. TechNews

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >| Duane Arnold wrote:
    >|
    >| > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    >| >>>|

    >| >>>|
    >| >>>|

    >| > My bad!
    >| >
    >| > Duane :)
    >|
    >| Hey Duane, I see your posts over in the wireless group. Don't worry
    >| about penisless whiners in this group, they're a dime a gig.

    Oooh...I think someone is trying to insult me.
    __
    /''''''/
    /..../
    /..../
    /´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    /'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ('(....´...´.... ¯ ~/'...')
    \.................'...../
    \............... _.·´
    \..............(
    \.............\
    -
    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 2, 2004
  12. TechNews

    ~S~ Guest

    you must mean its Canada Day

    ~S~

    > "Today is a sad day for every American, The Microsoft monopoly, which

    <snippo>

    Infamy? Infamy!
    They've all got it infamy

    - Williams 1967 (ish)