    considering what one of my pro-photographer friend puts his one
    through. Has anyone had such an issue? If yes did it ever got resolved
    by canon's service center? Any info will be really appreciated.

    Vinay, Apr 10, 2007

  2. On 9 Apr 2007 16:51:41 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Vinay"
    <> wrote:

    >My 2 year old 20D doesn't release shutter anymore. Became useless
    >right in the middle of my trip to the NY Auto show. No Errors, no
    >issues with anything else, it even displays 'busy' when clicking but
    >nothing happens. I am not a professional so have hardly used it
    >considering what one of my pro-photographer friend puts his one
    >through. Has anyone had such an issue? If yes did it ever got resolved
    >by canon's service center? Any info will be really appreciated.

    Start from zero. have you tried any full menu resets? Reset buttons of just
    yank the battery to fully power down? Or even tried another F card?
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 10, 2007

  3. Vinay

    Vinay Guest

    > Start from zero. have you tried any full menu resets? Reset buttons of just
    > yank the battery to fully power down? Or even tried another F card?
    > --
    > Ed Ruf ()http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    This is what I did:
    1. Changes the battery.
    2. Complete reset.
    3. Format the card.
    4. Tried another memory card.
    5. Reinstalled the firmware.

    Vinay, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Vinay

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Apr 9, 7:51 pm, "Vinay" <> wrote:
    > My 2 year old 20D doesn't release shutter anymore. Became useless
    > right in the middle of my trip to the NY Auto show. No Errors, no
    > issues with anything else, it even displays 'busy' when clicking but
    > nothing happens. I am not a professional so have hardly used it
    > considering what one of my pro-photographer friend puts his one
    > through. Has anyone had such an issue? If yes did it ever got resolved
    > by canon's service center? Any info will be really appreciated.

    Make sure you didn't accidentally turn it to "A-Dep" mode.
    That thing scared the crap outta me one day when it wouldn't let me
    fire the shutter.

    Annika1980, Apr 11, 2007
  5. Vinay

    Frank ess Guest

    Vinay wrote:
    >> Start from zero. have you tried any full menu resets? Reset buttons
    >> of just
    >> yank the battery to fully power down? Or even tried another F card?
    >> --
    >> Ed Ruf
    >> ()http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    > This is what I did:
    > 1. Changes the battery.
    > 2. Complete reset.
    > 3. Format the card.
    > 4. Tried another memory card.
    > 5. Reinstalled the firmware.

    Could it be that a defective or inadequate lens is attached? Seems to
    me there was a spate of malfunctions of that nature eventually traced
    to mis- or mal-communication between lens and camera. Sometimes the
    condition was corrected by remove/replace the lens (power off),
    sometimes by replacing a "lens" (Sigma) with a lens (Canon).

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Apr 11, 2007
  6. Frank ess wrote:
    > Vinay wrote:
    >>> Start from zero. have you tried any full menu resets? Reset buttons
    >>> of just
    >>> yank the battery to fully power down? Or even tried another F card?
    >>> --
    >>> Ed Ruf
    >>> ()http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html
    >>>

    >> This is what I did:
    >> 1. Changes the battery.
    >> 2. Complete reset.
    >> 3. Format the card.
    >> 4. Tried another memory card.
    >> 5. Reinstalled the firmware.

    > Could it be that a defective or inadequate lens is attached? Seems to me
    > there was a spate of malfunctions of that nature eventually traced to
    > mis- or mal-communication between lens and camera. Sometimes the
    > condition was corrected by remove/replace the lens (power off),
    > sometimes by replacing a "lens" (Sigma) with a lens (Canon).

    If you manage to switch to shutter delay mode accidentally, which I've
    done, it can be baffling if you take it away from your face and don't
    hear the shutter actuate 8 seconds later.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 11, 2007
  7. Vinay

    Vinay Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:25 am, "Frank ess" <> wrote:
    > Vinay wrote:
    > >> Start from zero. have you tried any full menu resets? Reset buttons
    > >> of just
    > >> yank the battery to fully power down? Or even tried another F card?
    > >> --
    > >> Ed Ruf
    > >> ()http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

    > > This is what I did:
    > > 1. Changes the battery.
    > > 2. Complete reset.
    > > 3. Format the card.
    > > 4. Tried another memory card.
    > > 5. Reinstalled the firmware.

    > Could it be that a defective or inadequate lens is attached? Seems to
    > me there was a spate of malfunctions of that nature eventually traced
    > to mis- or mal-communication between lens and camera. Sometimes the
    > condition was corrected by remove/replace the lens (power off),
    > sometimes by replacing a "lens" (Sigma) with a lens (Canon).
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    Hi Frank,

    I did try the three canon lenses that I have
    50mm
    20-135
    and the 18-55

    Still dosent work. Anyway thanks for thinking for me.

    Vinay, Apr 18, 2007
  8. Vinay

    Vinay Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:36 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:

    > >> This is what I did:
    > >> 1. Changes the battery.
    > >> 2. Complete reset.
    > >> 3. Format the card.
    > >> 4. Tried another memory card.
    > >> 5. Reinstalled the firmware.

    > > Could it be that a defective or inadequate lens is attached? Seems to me
    > > there was a spate of malfunctions of that nature eventually traced to
    > > mis- or mal-communication between lens and camera. Sometimes the
    > > condition was corrected by remove/replace the lens (power off),
    > > sometimes by replacing a "lens" (Sigma) with a lens (Canon).

    > If you manage to switch to shutter delay mode accidentally, which I've
    > done, it can be baffling if you take it away from your face and don't
    > hear the shutter actuate 8 seconds later.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams- Hide quoted text -

    I checked that too. I had actually reinstalled the firmware to rule
    out any seetings that I might have missed out :(

    Vinay, Apr 18, 2007
  9. Vinay

    Vinay Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:04 am, "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    > On Apr 9, 7:51 pm, "Vinay" <> wrote:
    >
    > > My 2 year old 20D doesn't release shutter anymore. Became useless
    > > right in the middle of my trip to the NY Auto show. No Errors, no
    > > issues with anything else, it even displays 'busy' when clicking but
    > > nothing happens. I am not a professional so have hardly used it
    > > considering what one of my pro-photographer friend puts his one
    > > through. Has anyone had such an issue? If yes did it ever got resolved
    > > by canon's service center? Any info will be really appreciated.

    > Make sure you didn't accidentally turn it to "A-Dep" mode.
    > That thing scared the crap outta me one day when it wouldn't let me
    > fire the shutter.

    But it still should take a picture in fully automatic mode. It just
    seems that my 20D has quit on me a little too early. I am sending it
    to Canon's NJ service center. I just hope they are able to fix it
    without denting too hard on my credit card.
    Thanks for all the help Guys.

    Vinay

    Vinay, Apr 18, 2007