    Cheers.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    RL Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sling
    > and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >
    > Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and wondered
    > what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However I'd prefer to hear
    > the opinions of people I "know".

    In installed it on a VMWare whenever it became available on MSDN. It was
    quick and painless to install, and I've not noticed any problems using it.

    I had intended to upgrade my PC in the office, but I've been busy, and
    honestly I forgot about it. I've finished the project I was working on,
    so there is a good chance I'll do the upgrade tomorrow. If I do, I'll
    report back if I got a relaxing day because I couldn't do any work, or
    if I still managed a productive days work.

    RL

    RL, May 7, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sling
    > and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >
    > Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and wondered
    > what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However I'd prefer to hear
    > the opinions of people I "know".

    I installed it on my laptop today. It didn't break anything I have
    checked so far, including some pretty unusual bits of software like VPN
    clients and secure banking apps.

    On a totally subjective basis it feels like everyting is running abit
    quicker too (although that may just be a consequence of having used
    another slower machine whilst SP3 was installing).

    EMB, May 7, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    Trick Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sling
    > and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >
    > Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and wondered
    > what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However I'd prefer to
    > hear the opinions of people I "know".
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    I installed it today and it locked up my workstation.
    I re-imaged my HD and wait for more info before using SP3 again.
    Rick

    Trick, May 7, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    Mutley Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sling
    >and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >
    >Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and wondered
    >what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However I'd prefer to hear
    >the opinions of people I "know".
    >
    >Cheers.

    If you have IE8 beta on your PC, uninstall this before you install
    SP3 otherwise you can't remove the IE8 beta without first removing
    SP3

    Mutley, May 7, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    Guest

    On May 7, 5:09 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sling
    > and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >
    > Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and wondered
    > what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However I'd prefer to hear
    > the opinions of people I "know".
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    put on laptop today every thing works touch wood BUT
    wifes S and T office 2007 sp3 update wont install ask's for disc
    then won't find the file it needs edtudu.msi any one else having this
    problem
    google and microsoft not much help at this stage

    , May 7, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    Alan Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the
    > sling and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >
    > Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and
    > wondered what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However
    > I'd prefer to hear the opinions of people I "know".
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    I'm going to wait for a month or so aty home - no major benefits to
    home users if you are already up to date with patches etc.

    Let everyone else find the remaining issues!

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, May 7, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the
    >> sling and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >>
    >> Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and
    >> wondered what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However I'd
    >> prefer to hear the opinions of people I "know".

    > I installed it on my laptop today. It didn't break anything I have
    > checked so far, including some pretty unusual bits of software like VPN
    > clients and secure banking apps.

    Ok, one small issue has arisen... it broke the drivers for the wireless
    networking (Intel 2100/ABG), but a repair of it's software from the
    Add/Remove Programs dialog sorted that out in about 2 minutes.
    Otherwise everything seems to be running as usual.

    EMB, May 7, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the
    >>> sling and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >>>
    >>> Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and
    >>> wondered what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However
    >>> I'd prefer to hear the opinions of people I "know".

    >> I installed it on my laptop today. It didn't break anything I have
    >> checked so far, including some pretty unusual bits of software like
    >> VPN clients and secure banking apps.

    > Ok, one small issue has arisen... it broke the drivers for the
    > wireless networking (Intel 2100/ABG), but a repair of it's software
    > from the Add/Remove Programs dialog sorted that out in about 2
    > minutes. Otherwise everything seems to be running as usual.

    Thanks to you and everyone else who've replied. A mixed bag of responses, I
    think I'll leave it for a while. Everything's working fine right now, I
    can't see that I *need* it yet (although on a couple of my older machines a
    speedier experience would be nice).

    Thanks again.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2008 21:43:47 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:
    >> EMB wrote:

    >>> I installed it on my laptop today. It didn't break anything I have
    >>> checked so far, including some pretty unusual bits of software like
    >>> VPN clients and secure banking apps.

    >> Ok, one small issue has arisen... it broke the drivers for the
    >> wireless networking (Intel 2100/ABG), but a repair of it's software
    >> from the Add/Remove Programs dialog sorted that out in about 2
    >> minutes. Otherwise everything seems to be running as usual.

    >Thanks to you and everyone else who've replied. A mixed bag of responses, I
    >think I'll leave it for a while. Everything's working fine right now, I
    >can't see that I *need* it yet (although on a couple of my older machines a
    >speedier experience would be nice).

    I just put it on a freshly installed box, an old Athlon 1400 with 640mb ram, and
    it seems to run reasonably well - I thought it might crawl on that CPU. Might
    risk it on my main PC tomorrow, which is getting a bit slow (not been formatted
    for about 6 years!).

    Cima, May 7, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > On Wed, 7 May 2008 21:43:47 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "EMB" typed:

    >>> Ok, one small issue has arisen... it broke the drivers for the
    >>> wireless networking (Intel 2100/ABG), but a repair of it's software
    >>> from the Add/Remove Programs dialog sorted that out in about 2
    >>> minutes. Otherwise everything seems to be running as usual.

    >> Thanks to you and everyone else who've replied. A mixed bag of
    >> fine right now, I can't see that I *need* it yet (although on a
    >> couple of my older machines a speedier experience would be nice).

    > I just put it on a freshly installed box, an old Athlon 1400 with
    > 640mb ram, and it seems to run reasonably well - I thought it might
    > crawl on that CPU.

    I heard a whisper that SP3 is supposed to make XP speedier and more useful
    on less powerful machines. Don't know if it's true or not.

    > Might risk it on my main PC tomorrow, which is
    > getting a bit slow (not been formatted for about 6 years!).

    Hehee! Might as well. If it breaks it well then it was due for a re-install.
    <g>

    Thanks for the feedback.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    Squiggle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sling
    > and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >
    > Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and wondered
    > what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However I'd prefer to hear
    > the opinions of people I "know".
    >
    > Cheers.

    I've been running the RC2 release of SP3 for about a month. Installed
    it on a relatively fresh xp pro sp2 install and all went well.

    Can't say i've noticed anything in the way of a speed increase or
    anything untowards either.

    Just make sure anything critical is backed up before you install just to
    be on the safe side.

    Squiggle, May 7, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Squiggle" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the
    >> sling and arrows of SP2 or, to install SP3.
    >>
    >> Heh! I just had a pop-up saying it's available as an update and
    >> wondered what folks here are doing? I know, I can Google. However
    >> I'd prefer to hear the opinions of people I "know".
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > I've been running the RC2 release of SP3 for about a month. Installed
    > it on a relatively fresh xp pro sp2 install and all went well.
    >
    > Can't say i've noticed anything in the way of a speed increase or
    > anything untowards either.

    Ok, thanks.

    > Just make sure anything critical is backed up before you install just
    > to be on the safe side.

    Always.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Geoff" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> I heard a whisper that SP3 is supposed to make XP speedier and more
    >> useful on less powerful machines. Don't know if it's true or not.

    > Sposta gain an average 10% over SP2, making approx double the 'speed'
    > of Vista.

    Ahh, OK, thanks. I thought I heard similar elsewhere but wasn't sure.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 10, 2008