    through the same format procedure again or can I jut type in the cmd command
    ?
    Thanks

    J C Ames, Feb 10, 2004

  2. J C Ames

    Patrick Guest

    J C Ames wrote:
    > More questions
    > I can do all that so after a month or so when I want to backup again
    > do I go through the same format procedure again or can I jut type in
    > the cmd command ?
    > Thanks

    Might I suggest that you study the commands (xcopy) syntax and parameters
    (switches) for yourself.
    Also to ascertain the meaning of the switches (/?) allready used.

    To do so, goto a command-prompt and type;
    xcopy /?

    or to send the output to a textfile for later study in 'Notepad' type;
    xcopy /? >c:\path\filename.txt
    (changeing "c:\path\filename.txt" to whatever name/directory that you
    choose)
    Patrick, Feb 10, 2004

  3. J C Ames

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:50:42 -0600, "J C Ames" <>
    wrote:

    >More questions
    >I can do all that so after a month or so when I want to backup again do I go
    >through the same format procedure again or can I jut type in the cmd command
    >?
    >Thanks

    Just do a "Quick format". It only takes a couple of seconds to erase.
    You can also type:

    xcopy/?

    This lists out all the command switches. It is possible to replace just
    updated files and add newer ones but I never trusted it. It's safer to
    quick format the drive and copy from scratch. Time-wise is about the same.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    BYW, the commands are a little different for Win9x/ME:
    First, install the drive as a slave and format the new drive from the
    Window's "My Computer" window. (Or Quick format it)

    Now open a Command prompt.
    Click Start, Run, and type "Command" in the Run box. (Without the quotes)

    At the C:\ prompt, type the following:
    (where c: is the old drive, and d: is the new drive)

    sys d:

    When the system has been transfered, type the following:

    xcopy32.exe c: d: /r/i/c/h/k/e/y

    (you need to use "xcopy32.exe" on Win9x/ME Their "xcopy.exe" doesn't
    support all the switches needed to copy everything)

    When it finishes, you have a bootable, mirror image of the old drive.
    Any subsequent backups to the drive doesn't need the "sys" command.
    Unk, Feb 10, 2004
  4. J C Ames

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:55:07 -0500, Unk <> wrote:

    >When it finishes, you have a bootable, mirror image of the old drive.
    >Any subsequent backups to the drive doesn't need the "sys" command.

    Unless you format it (quick or otherwise)
    Unk, Feb 10, 2004