    Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi, fixing audio with lame and the
    actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.

    Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?

    cowboyz, Nov 10, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    Muzz Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    news:bop5bb$82i$...
    > what time frame are you looking at to convert a 90 min dvd to svcd. I

    was
    > doing Divx but honestly find SVCD better enough quality to warrent the

    extra
    > CD. On the flipside I can convert a 90 min dvd to Divx in about 80 mins.
    > Doing the same thing to SVCD takes about 5-6 hours using Tmpgenc.
    > Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi, fixing audio with lame and

    the
    > actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.
    >
    > Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?

    What is your hardware spec ?

    It sounds like you're doing the same process with the same software that I
    am using and I take anything up to 17 hours for 1 DVD, though they may be
    longer than 90min. This is on a PIII 1Ghz with 256Mb RAM.

    Muzz, Nov 10, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    Allistar Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > what time frame are you looking at to convert a 90 min dvd to svcd. I
    > was doing Divx but honestly find SVCD better enough quality to warrent the
    > extra
    > CD. On the flipside I can convert a 90 min dvd to Divx in about 80 mins.
    > Doing the same thing to SVCD takes about 5-6 hours using Tmpgenc.
    > Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi, fixing audio with lame and
    > the actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.
    >
    > Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?

    I don't rip straight from DVD to SVCD but do convert DVD quality avi files
    to SVCD format and I find it converts at a rate of about 3 seconds per
    second (i.e. a 20 minute movie takes 60 minutes to convert).

    I use "transcode" followed by "tcmplex" for the multiplexing phase. This is
    on a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM (but only IDE disks unfortunately).

    I am not very impressed with the quality of SVCD, although if you sit a
    reasonable distance back from the TV you don't really notice.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 11, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Muzz wrote:
    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    >> what time frame are you looking at to convert a 90 min dvd to svcd.
    >> I was doing Divx but honestly find SVCD better enough quality to
    >> warrent the extra CD. On the flipside I can convert a 90 min dvd to
    >> Divx in about 80 mins. Doing the same thing to SVCD takes about 5-6
    >> hours using Tmpgenc. Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi,
    >> fixing audio with lame and the actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.
    >>
    >> Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?
    >>

    > What is your hardware spec ?

    XP2100. 256DDR400.

    17 hours huh? Makes me sounds very impatient.

    cowboyz, Nov 11, 2003
  5. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> what time frame are you looking at to convert a 90 min dvd to svcd.
    >> I was doing Divx but honestly find SVCD better enough quality to
    >> warrent the extra
    >> CD. On the flipside I can convert a 90 min dvd to Divx in about 80
    >> mins. Doing the same thing to SVCD takes about 5-6 hours using
    >> Tmpgenc.
    >> Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi, fixing audio with lame
    >> and the actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.
    >>
    >> Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?

    > I don't rip straight from DVD to SVCD but do convert DVD quality avi
    > files to SVCD format and I find it converts at a rate of about 3
    > seconds per second (i.e. a 20 minute movie takes 60 minutes to
    > convert).
    >
    > I use "transcode" followed by "tcmplex" for the multiplexing phase.
    > This is on a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM (but only IDE disks
    > unfortunately).

    I did use transcode under Linux and found it incredibly quick. Windows
    equilant would be great.

    > I am not very impressed with the quality of SVCD, although if you sit
    > a reasonable distance back from the TV you don't really notice.

    We watch them on a Xbox + 29' TV and find the quality to be very imprssive.
    As yet I haven't noticed any "blocky-ness"? like is common with Divx
    conversions.

    Different story watching the same thing while sitting right in front of it
    on a PC monitor though, but I can't relax and watch a movie sitting at my
    PC.

    cowboyz, Nov 11, 2003
  6. On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:02:25 +1300, Allistar
    <> wrote:

    >I use "transcode" followed by "tcmplex" for the multiplexing phase. This is
    >on a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM (but only IDE disks unfortunately).
    >
    >I am not very impressed with the quality of SVCD, although if you sit a
    >reasonable distance back from the TV you don't really notice.

    That must be something to do with Transcode's MPEG2 encoding then

    I use TMPGenc and, when set to its highest (slowest) quality settings,
    the resulting SVCD disk (if it's 1850bps or higher) is virtually
    indistinguishable from a DVD when run through my Sony 29" set using
    the composite video input.

    Encoding times can be slow though.

    It took almost 11 hours to encode an hour's worth of video at the
    highest-quality settings on a P4 @ 1.8GHz.

    If you are happy with lower quality video (or a higher bitrate) you
    can easily do it in half the time.

    Bruce Simpson, Nov 11, 2003
  7. "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    Allistar> <> wrote:
    >
    > >I use "transcode" followed by "tcmplex" for the multiplexing phase. This

    is
    > >on a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM (but only IDE disks unfortunately).
    > >I am not very impressed with the quality of SVCD, although if you sit a
    > >reasonable distance back from the TV you don't really notice.

    > That must be something to do with Transcode's MPEG2 encoding then
    > I use TMPGenc and, when set to its highest (slowest) quality settings,
    > the resulting SVCD disk (if it's 1850bps or higher) is virtually
    > indistinguishable from a DVD when run through my Sony 29" set using
    > the composite video input.
    > Encoding times can be slow though.
    > It took almost 11 hours to encode an hour's worth of video at the
    > highest-quality settings on a P4 @ 1.8GHz.
    > If you are happy with lower quality video (or a higher bitrate) you
    > can easily do it in half the time.

    I use TMPGenc's high setting (rather than highest) (saves about 6 hours)
    and can't tell the difference when sitting the normal distance away from my
    100hz 34'' digital TV

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Nov 11, 2003
  8. cowboyz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > what time frame are you looking at to convert a 90 min dvd to svcd. I

    was
    > doing Divx but honestly find SVCD better enough quality to warrent the

    extra
    > CD. On the flipside I can convert a 90 min dvd to Divx in about 80 mins.
    > Doing the same thing to SVCD takes about 5-6 hours using Tmpgenc.
    > Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi, fixing audio with lame and

    the
    > actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.
    >
    > Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?

    I use DVDx 2.0. Though I've only done a few bits in SVCD, being an all in
    one program makes it quite easy. I've just tried it using a Divx codec,
    ended up with a file of 6 minutes 40 seconds in length and 35MB in size on
    the test. Lame MP3 was at a good quality 192 Kbits 44.1KHz 16Bits Q3. This
    could be knocked back a bit without affecting the sound too much, on the
    other side the test was on a dark bit of video footage. Which probably kept
    the video size of the file a bit lower than average.
    I've found that Divx plays back the original action very well when capturing
    motor racing etc from TV. SVCD is nice and sharp but gutsy in size, good
    for music videos.
    Bugger spending several hours to convert at least 90 minutes of video.
    Still it's the end results which count and as long as people are happy with
    them it doesn't matter how they choose to get there.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 11, 2003
  9. cowboyz

    Kevin Guest

    It takes me 3 hours 20 minutes per hour of video with an Athlon 2400+

    I also use DVD2AVI, but do not down sample, just convert the Dolby 5.1 to
    stereo and use TMPgenc to change the bitrate to 128kbs. With a resolution
    of 352x576 and PAL I can get around 70 minute of quite good video on an 80
    minute disk. Dropping to 352x480 (as PAL not NTSC) I get 90 minutes on a 90
    minute disk.

    These disk play on almost all modern players.

    Kevin

    Kevin, Nov 11, 2003
  10. cowboyz

    geoffm Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:00:59 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >what time frame are you looking at to convert a 90 min dvd to svcd. I was
    >doing Divx but honestly find SVCD better enough quality to warrent the extra
    >CD. On the flipside I can convert a 90 min dvd to Divx in about 80 mins.
    >Doing the same thing to SVCD takes about 5-6 hours using Tmpgenc.
    >Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi, fixing audio with lame and the
    >actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.
    >
    >Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?

    I use BackupDVD which provides 1-button rip and decode to mpegs,
    which I burn using Nero to (S)VCD. It is supposed to bun them to disk
    as well, but that part has never worked for me. it automatically
    splits the film across CDs, although I occasionally do a manual split
    with TMpeg to get a better fit on CD. It usually takes 3-5 hours or
    so, but I leave it running over night
    Geoff

    geoffm, Nov 11, 2003
  11. cowboyz

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:00:59 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >what time frame are you looking at to convert a 90 min dvd to svcd. I was
    >doing Divx but honestly find SVCD better enough quality to warrent the extra
    >CD. On the flipside I can convert a 90 min dvd to Divx in about 80 mins.
    >Doing the same thing to SVCD takes about 5-6 hours using Tmpgenc.
    >Process invloves running it through dvdtoavi, fixing audio with lame and the
    >actual encoding to SVCD with Tmpgenc.
    >
    >Have you expeienced faster software to get the same results?

    I find the Nero, with the SVCD plug in, does it all in one conveinient
    package. Seems to match the audio track as well (if it was correct in
    the first place)...

    Use it to turn divx into svcd for the dvd player. I usually tell nero
    to burn the disk to an image so I can multiple copies of nero doing
    several segments of the film over night. All done in the morning. (I
    also fiddle the process priority so they finish in order instead of
    thrashing the HD and taking 400x the time).

    ....Brendan

    Brendan, Nov 11, 2003
  12. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    Check out November PC User mag CD. Contains:

    DVD Decrypter 3.1.6.0
    DVD Shrink 3
    DVD2AVI 1.77.3
    video tutorial
    etc

    Also full version CyberLink Power Pack (requires Win98SE and online
    registration), including:
    PowerVCR II Pro,
    PowerDirector 1.1
    PowerProducer 1

    Mag cover has "DVD Movie Burning Secrets - your complete guide to
    digital video, DVD ripping and burning"

    GraB, Nov 11, 2003
  13. cowboyz

    RecylerMan Guest

    Bruce Simpson wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:02:25 +1300, Allistar
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I use "transcode" followed by "tcmplex" for the multiplexing phase. This is
    >>on a P4 2.4 with 512Mb of RAM (but only IDE disks unfortunately).
    >>
    >>I am not very impressed with the quality of SVCD, although if you sit a
    >>reasonable distance back from the TV you don't really notice.

    > That must be something to do with Transcode's MPEG2 encoding then
    >
    > I use TMPGenc and, when set to its highest (slowest) quality settings,
    > the resulting SVCD disk (if it's 1850bps or higher) is virtually
    > indistinguishable from a DVD when run through my Sony 29" set using
    > the composite video input.
    >
    > Encoding times can be slow though.
    >
    > It took almost 11 hours to encode an hour's worth of video at the
    > highest-quality settings on a P4 @ 1.8GHz.
    >
    > If you are happy with lower quality video (or a higher bitrate) you
    > can easily do it in half the time.
    >
    > --
    > you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/

    I have a different Problem for the time being I make vcd's only as my
    procesing power is way tooo slow especialy when I do cleen ups my
    problem is this all about pal and frame rate on Win XP using a 990MHz
    Athlon using a 80 gig drive and a flyview 98 tv card.

    the Problems started setting in soon after the updates were done first
    the life view studio program would not work does a reboot:) using dscler
    for tv work and virtualdub for capturing this setup has been working
    good till the last up date windows media9 and Windows Movie Maker now
    when I try to capture video all I get is yuck and massive frame loss

    After a quick google nothing found I Windows Movie Maker and found it
    set to NTSC supprise supprise so I set it to pal could not set it to 25
    f/s but virtual dub worked fine.

    after a reboot all was back to the beginning had to re set up Windows
    Movie Maker so I could capture Video

    Still have not found a way to set it to stick to pal

    has any body found a way or will it be a reeg edit thing still no joy on
    google....

    --
    RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
    Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z

    RecylerMan, Nov 11, 2003
  14. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    Anyone tried any of these?

    GraB, Nov 12, 2003
  15. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Anyone tried any of these?

    yes comments below.

    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:42:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >> Check out November PC User mag CD. Contains:
    >>
    >> DVD Decrypter 3.1.6.0

    Found to be a pig of a thing. Much better decrypters out there that are
    much more friendly. Like smartripper, cladXP

    >> DVD Shrink 3

    no

    >> DVD2AVI 1.77.3

    Excellent program. Use it all the time.

    >> video tutorial
    >> etc
    >>
    >> Also full version CyberLink Power Pack (requires Win98SE and online
    >> registration), including:
    >> PowerVCR II Pro,

    ok and good on its own but had issues having this installed alongside
    WinCoder (my preferred video capture program) Seemed to make the video in
    function on my GF4MX disappear every now and then.

    >> PowerDirector 1.1

    no

    >> PowerProducer 1

    no

    cowboyz, Nov 12, 2003
  16. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > GraB wrote:
    >> Anyone tried any of these?

    > yes comments below.
    >

    >> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:42:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out November PC User mag CD. Contains:
    >>>
    >>> DVD Decrypter 3.1.6.0

    > Found to be a pig of a thing. Much better decrypters out there that
    > are much more friendly. Like smartripper, cladXP

    I found the opposite. Just used it to rip a DVD and then encoded it to DivX
    with Dr. DivX. Excellent results and easy to use.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 12, 2003
  17. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:20:55 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
    wrote:

    >cowboyz wrote:
    >> GraB wrote:
    >>> Anyone tried any of these?

    >> yes comments below.

    >> Found to be a pig of a thing. Much better decrypters out there that
    >> are much more friendly. Like smartripper, cladXP

    >I found the opposite. Just used it to rip a DVD and then encoded it to DivX
    >with Dr. DivX. Excellent results and easy to use.

    I have used DVD Decrypter 2.4 a couple of times, worked flawlessly.
    SmartRipper was fine too.

    GraB, Nov 13, 2003
  18. cowboyz

    C Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:12:09 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:20:55 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>cowboyz wrote:
    >>>

    >>> yes comments below.

    >>> Found to be a pig of a thing. Much better decrypters out there that
    >>> are much more friendly. Like smartripper, cladXP

    >>I found the opposite. Just used it to rip a DVD and then encoded it to DivX
    >>with Dr. DivX. Excellent results and easy to use.

    >I have used DVD Decrypter 2.4 a couple of times, worked flawlessly.
    >SmartRipper was fine too.

    I've used both and have problems with Smartripper in that it will rip
    a DVD partway and then come up with some error about not being able to
    find the key or something for a section later on.

    C, Nov 13, 2003
  19. cowboyz

    back again Guest

    What is the best tool for grabbing video from a digital video camera and
    burning direct to DVD/SVCD?

    Cheers

    back again, Nov 14, 2003
  20. cowboyz

    rubber Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:47:00 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Anyone tried any of these?
    >
    >On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:42:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Check out November PC User mag CD. Contains:
    >>
    >>DVD Decrypter 3.1.6.0
    >>DVD Shrink 3
    >>DVD2AVI 1.77.3
    >>video tutorial
    >>etc
    >>
    >>Also full version CyberLink Power Pack (requires Win98SE and online
    >>registration), including:
    >>PowerVCR II Pro,
    >>PowerDirector 1.1
    >>PowerProducer 1
    >>
    >>Mag cover has "DVD Movie Burning Secrets - your complete guide to
    >>digital video, DVD ripping and burning"

    Used DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5. In conjunction with
    Imgtool & Nero I get perfect playing/visual quality DVD movies without
    all the extras (my choice if I want to keep 'em)

    After reading a few tutorials and doing some exercises with a DVD-RW
    it's bloody easy (and free of course)

    Cheers
    Rubber

    rubber, Nov 14, 2003