    and restart the services. This usually last for another few days, and
    then the same thing happens again. Could anyone suggest a more
    permanent solution?

    nc, Nov 19, 2007

  2. nc

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    nc wrote:
    > Hello all, I could really use some help with this fairly basic issue.
    > First, let me tell you what kind of network I am looking at:
    >
    > 5 Windows 2000/2003 servers. Two of these server (2003) manage
    > printers. We have about 6 printers in the domain. Users report that
    > there print jobs don't print every few days or so. They see them in
    > the print queue with an error message in the queue. What I usually do
    > is to stop the print spooler, deleted the jobs in the print folder,
    > and restart the services. This usually last for another few days, and
    > then the same thing happens again. Could anyone suggest a more
    > permanent solution?

    Yes, tell us what the error message is.
    How are these printers connected?
    Check your event logs.
    Make sure you have the latest drivers on all printers.
    Make sure you have all the Windows updates applied.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 19, 2007

  3. nc

    Leythos Guest

    In article <b6692a01-da9a-4118-94ec-47f49ec7e492
    @y5g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > Hello all, I could really use some help with this fairly basic issue.
    > First, let me tell you what kind of network I am looking at:
    >
    > 5 Windows 2000/2003 servers. Two of these server (2003) manage
    > printers. We have about 6 printers in the domain. Users report that
    > there print jobs don't print every few days or so. They see them in
    > the print queue with an error message in the queue. What I usually do
    > is to stop the print spooler, deleted the jobs in the print folder,
    > and restart the services. This usually last for another few days, and
    > then the same thing happens again. Could anyone suggest a more
    > permanent solution?

    Too many unknowns.

    What printers?

    What drivers?

    Are these servers Terminal Servers?

    Are the printers cheap, not Windows certified printers?

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Nov 19, 2007
  4. nc

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:52:58 -0800 (PST), nc wrote:

    >Hello all, I could really use some help with this fairly basic issue.
    >First, let me tell you what kind of network I am looking at:

    So basic it's easier to guess what you have tried or not to solve it?

    >5 Windows 2000/2003 servers. Two of these server (2003) manage
    >printers. We have about 6 printers in the domain. Users report that
    >there print jobs don't print every few days or so. They see them in
    >the print queue with an error message in the queue. What I usually do

    Error message is the Error - Printing , so the event log says what.

    >is to stop the print spooler, deleted the jobs in the print folder,
    >and restart the services. This usually last for another few days, and
    >then the same thing happens again. Could anyone suggest a more
    >permanent solution?

    Printer make / models.

    Latest drivers.

    How are they connected.

    Is it only the queues that fail to connect.

    You can verify printers still connected / visible by some other method.

    Name resolution is via some method which still works.

    Me

    why?, Nov 19, 2007
  5. nc

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:52:58 -0800 (PST), nc <> wrote:

    >Hello all, I could really use some help with this fairly basic issue.
    >First, let me tell you what kind of network I am looking at:
    >
    >5 Windows 2000/2003 servers. Two of these server (2003) manage
    >printers. We have about 6 printers in the domain. Users report that
    >there print jobs don't print every few days or so. They see them in
    >the print queue with an error message in the queue. What I usually do
    >is to stop the print spooler, deleted the jobs in the print folder,
    >and restart the services. This usually last for another few days, and
    >then the same thing happens again. Could anyone suggest a more
    >permanent solution?

    Yes. Try different drivers. Tell them to restart their machines once in awhile,
    if they aren't. And take away any rights users might have to manage the printer.
    Once I did the latter our printer problems disappeared.

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Nov 20, 2007
  6. nc

    nc Guest

    On Nov 19, 7:39 pm, Mara <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:52:58 -0800 (PST), nc <> wrote:
    > >Hello all, I could really use some help with this fairly basic issue.
    > >First, let me tell you what kind of network I am looking at:

    > >5 Windows 2000/2003 servers. Two of these server (2003) manage
    > >printers. We have about 6 printers in the domain. Users report that
    > >there print jobs don't print every few days or so. They see them in
    > >the print queue with an error message in the queue. What I usually do
    > >is to stop the print spooler, deleted the jobs in the print folder,
    > >and restart the services. This usually last for another few days, and
    > >then the same thing happens again. Could anyone suggest a more
    > >permanent solution?

    > Yes. Try different drivers. Tell them to restart their machines once in awhile,
    > if they aren't. And take away any rights users might have to manage the printer.
    > Once I did the latter our printer problems disappeared.
    >
    > --
    > "No lusers were harmed in the creation of this usenet article.
    > AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    > --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Cancel this folks. It turned out to be a bad registry problem in the
    server. After rebooting it the system just died. It went to chkdsk and
    rattled off error after error. I ran a diagnostic and found that the
    SCSI controller failed. Messed up printing was a symptom of that.

    nc, Nov 21, 2007