    computer for a couple of hours and go away, then come back ..
    also with thunderstorms can they damage modems??

    milo
    milo, Feb 18, 2004

  2. milo

    LPV Guest

    "milo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > g'day, just wondering if its worth actually turning the computer off all
    > the time
    > ie u go to bed and come back to the pc in the morning , or if u use the
    > computer for a couple of hours and go away, then come back ..
    > also with thunderstorms can they damage modems??

    1. As far as turning the computer on/off, to my knowledge there are no
    known advantages/disadvantages to either method. However, when I used to
    run Win95 and Win98, I always shut it down for the night (Win95/98 always
    seemed to run better for me if I'd do a shutdown or restart every few hours,
    particularly when under heavy use). However, with WinXP I don't need to do
    that because it seems to be a much, much more stable OS.

    Obviously, of course, if the computer is shutdown, it will not be using any
    electricity (or very, very little electricity). For this reason, and this
    reason only, I shut my system down if I'm not going to be using it for
    awhile (i.e., several hours or more).

    2. As far as thunderstorms, my opinion is that no matter what type of surge
    protector is used, there is no real protection from a lightning strike that
    is in very close proximity to your computer. Therefore, when thunderstorms
    roll in I always shut down the computer and disconnect the cord from the
    wall and disconnect my modem cable.

    These are only my opinions and my practices - they've worked very well for
    me over the years. Other people may have differing opinions/practices.

    HTH,

    Loren
    LPV, Feb 18, 2004

  3. milo

    Tim Harden Guest

    Electrically speaking, it's best to leave the computer on.

    #1 - It's built to sustain a certain and best performing temperature on the
    CPU and other temp sensitive components over a long period of time.

    #2 - When you turn a computer or other electronic equipment on and off, the
    electronic components in the device expand and contract because of the
    temperature changes. Eventually, this may result in problems with the
    internal components. It's usually best to sustain one temperature on a
    continual basis.

    I always leave my computers on 24x7. But I reboot them every once in a
    while to flush out the memory.

    You bet that thunderstorms can damage a modem. But modems are so cheap
    these days, it's very easy to replace them. Only in one case have I heard
    that a thunderstorm actually knocked out the modem as well as the
    motherboard. But in any case, it's always best to put the power source of
    the computer on a surge protector that has a phone modem port so that it
    protects the phone line as well.

    For what that's worth...

    Tim...

    Tim Harden, Feb 18, 2004
  4. milo

    George Guest

    Thunderstorms can damage a lot of stuff (just check out the clock/timer on
    my built-in microwave oven...now it runs about 16% fast). Best thing you
    can do for your computer and other stuff is:
    1) have an electrician install a whole house surge suppressor (it is cheaper
    than buying 3 or 4 of the things you plug into the wall plus then you know
    everything is protected...you can even get one that will protect your phone
    lines as well)
    2) plug your PC into an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) so that if power
    does go out you (or software) can power it down gracefully
    3) lastly, and more toward your original question, the voltage transient
    caused by turning your computer on and off does the most damage (when is the
    last time you saw a light bulb burn out while it had been on for awhile?) so
    you want to minimize the number of those occurrences...personally, I leave
    mine on during the week and might power off on weekends if I don't expect to
    be using it much (BTW, the computer I'm typing this on is 6 years old and
    has never had a problem)

    George, Feb 18, 2004
  5. milo

    George Guest

    What you're describing, while certainly a valid point, is a software problem
    (memory leaks in the operating system) and has no effect on the longevity of
    the hardware. From a hardware standpoint, it'd be better to do a warm
    re-boot if that is sufficient to free up the memory that hadn't been
    deallocated by the operating system.

    George, Feb 18, 2004
  6. milo

    LPV Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > "LPV" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > 1. As far as turning the computer on/off, to my knowledge there are no
    > > known advantages/disadvantages to either method. However, when I used

    > > run Win95 and Win98, I always shut it down for the night (Win95/98

    always
    > > seemed to run better for me if I'd do a shutdown or restart every few

    > hours,
    > > particularly when under heavy use). However, with WinXP I don't need to

    > do
    > > that because it seems to be a much, much more stable OS.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > Loren

    > What you're describing, while certainly a valid point, is a software

    problem
    > (memory leaks in the operating system) and has no effect on the longevity

    of
    > the hardware.

    Yepper - I guess I didn't make that point precisely enough in my originals
    post.

    > From a hardware standpoint, it'd be better to do a warm
    > re-boot if that is sufficient to free up the memory that hadn't been
    > deallocated by the operating system.

    Again, yepper - that's what I (used to) do. I don't seem to need to do it
    very often at all using WinXP.

    Loren
    LPV, Feb 18, 2004
  7. milo

    George Guest

    Been there, done that (too) <g>. Sure would be handy if the fingers typed
    all the stuff that was really going through the brain (with a civility
    filter, of course <g>).

    George

    George, Feb 18, 2004
  8. milo

    Jerry G. Guest

    We have 3 computers here on a network. They are running 24/7. We never
    switch off our computers, and never had a problem with them. Through the
    power management, the hard drives are configured to go to standby after 30
    minutes, and the monitor will go to standby after 45 minutes. Overall, we
    found that there were less problems leaving the computers on all the time.
    But, they are used very often at different hours.

    As for power protection, we found these surge protectors to be a waste of
    time and money. A proper protection is a good quality UPS. If some
    lightning hits your power line, none of these surge protectors are going to
    do much. A very large UPS would have problems with a lightning hit. There
    is a lot of power even in the edge of a lightning hit.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com